Shocked that in Taiwan devices are sold to intentionally cause loud noise to annoy neighbours

Our friends are having a tough time with their downstairs neighbors. The husband is Taiwanese, and the wife is Czech. They have two young kids; one is an infant.

Ever since they moved in a couple of months ago, the neighbors downstairs have been constantly complaining about even the slightest noise and have even called the police on them multiple times.

Starting last night, they installed this device on the ceiling that continuously produces a mechanical knock. I had the chance to hear it from the videos my friend sent me last night. It’s really loud. Sounds like a robot is punching the floor from underneath. & It’s right under their bedroom.

The husband called the police and had the neighbor turn off the device, but the police said they couldn’t do anything else and recommended they get a lawyer. Anyway, my friend is quite resourceful. I am sure he’ll figure out a way to deal with these guys.

I just wanted to share the link. I had no idea such a device even existed.
& You should read some of the comments. :slight_smile:

https://shopee.tw/product/443630643/13193165652?d_id=16a2c&utm_content=4GE1G2cmznUhTvtz8qyTbkC2wCwR

According to Google Translate, the “all-round banging model” is for just 1599. :joy:

6 Likes

:howyoudoin:

1 Like

Such devices seem to originate from Beijing, around 2017.

3 Likes

Id make sure your friend got an incident report from the police and it includes the fact the neighbor was using a ceiling thumper.

Its one thing to accidentally make a noise or not be aware of how loud one is, but the neighbor went out of their way with the intent to disturb to the maximum. That will be useful if civil lawsuits start.

12 Likes

Terrible. Somewhat different, but it brings to mind the super loud horns people install in their cars. And some use it on pedestrians.

1 Like

If there was an equivalent product i can use to project loud noises into those motorists i would buy it instantly.

1 Like

To document, somebody suggests “Wide mouth container full of water over the area, that way it will show up on video (Ripples).”
https://www.reddit.com/r/neighborsfromhell/comments/i90uqr/ceiling_thumper_used_by_my_downstairs_neighbors/

And in the meantime I would buy the same device and run it on the floor regularly (but irregular, if you know what I mean).

3 Likes

Do you happen to know the official mandarin term for such reports?

1 Like