Short-term expat in Taipei

Dear all,

I´m in the process of relocating to Taipei for 3 months, and after tons of research I can literally say I´m still stuck in the jungle of the Taiwanese housing market.
Some of my local friends tells me the only chance to get a place to stay for such a short period is to go for a service apartment, but then the price will be more than $1500/month - something I think is rather absurd.
I thought, why not ask the people here who might have been in my shoes before? I got a few questions that I would appreciate to get some insights or answers on.

1. Where in Taipei to stay? I´m a fan of nightlife and dining, my intentions are to stay in Songshan, XinYi or NeiHu.
  2. Any recommendations of agents, service apartments or even hotels that would help a guy in my shoes to find a place to stay for 3 months?
  3. Will there be a lot of questions in the airport what I will do, and where I will live when I touch down in Taiwan? Do they need to see my flight out?
  4. Should everything be booked in advance, or is it safe to book a cheap place the first week or so and then find something good?
  5. All other help is appreciated!

Best,

Johnny

1. Will there be a lot of questions in the airport what I will do, and where I will live when I touch down in Taiwan? Do they need to see my flight out?

I don’t know much being married and always eating in company and all, and after all I am only here since 2004, just arrived in a matter of speaking.

1. Will there be a lot of questions in the airport what I will do, and where I will live when I touch down in Taiwan? Do they need to see my flight out?
    But I know this one. Usually not a lost of questions and they may ask to see a flight-out.
    No idea where you shall live though. But there is a place for us all.

[quote=“interstellar”]Dear all,

I´m in the process of relocating to Taipei for 3 months, and after tons of research I can literally say I´m still stuck in the jungle of the Taiwanese housing market.
Some of my local friends tells me the only chance to get a place to stay for such a short period is to go for a service apartment, but then the price will be more than $1500/month - something I think is rather absurd.
I thought, why not ask the people here who might have been in my shoes before? I got a few questions that I would appreciate to get some insights or answers on.

1. Where in Taipei to stay? I´m a fan of nightlife and dining, my intentions are to stay in Songshan, Xinyi or Neihu.
  2. Any recommendations of agents, service apartments or even hotels that would help a guy in my shoes to find a place to stay for 3 months?
  3. Will there be a lot of questions in the airport what I will do, and where I will live when I touch down in Taiwan? Do they need to see my flight out?
  4. Should everything be booked in advance, or is it safe to book a cheap place the first week or so and then find something good?
  5. All other help is appreciated!

Best,

Johnny[/quote]

Interstellar, welcome to the 'mosa.

1. Yes, those areas would be suitable, and there are short term apartments around Sun Yat sen Memorial Park that would be justwhat you need.

2. Agenst are not that advisable, give us some time and people add a couple of links. Yes, a serviced apartment might be abit more expensive -I’ve seen the ones in Kelung road, though, and though some are nice, the location might prove too noisy/unconfortable to rest after a night out.

3. Now we are going to visa territory. If you have applied for a visa to work here, no problem. If you are on a visitor visa, then you are not legally allowed to work, and will probably be given a bit more scrutiny, so don’t say anything, show the flight out ticket and say you’re here to visit friends and see the land.

4. This time of the year it’s OK to stay in a hotel/hostel a few days, and look around. It is the best procedure, we really do not reccommend booking a long stay from abroad.

5. Feel free to ask any other questions.

[quote=“interstellar”]I´m in the process of relocating to Taipei for 3 months, and after tons of research I can literally say I´m still stuck in the jungle of the Taiwanese housing market.
Some of my local friends tells me the only chance to get a place to stay for such a short period is to go for a service apartment, but then the price will be more than $1500/month - something I think is rather absurd.[/quote]
Why not just sign a regular 12 mth contract and break it after 3 mths?
So, you lose a month’s rent. But by the sound of the alternatives, you’d still be much better off.
Just say something unexpected came up and you have to leave.

Nonsense. If you look at the main housing thread, there are links to a lot of sites advertising apartments, furnished and unfurnished, for month-to-month rents of well under that. Unless the U.S. dollar has really gone to hell in the last few months, anyway. I found several in the $600/month range that looked decent. Of course, in person they might not be so great, no way to tell until I’m there.

Nonsense. If you look at the main housing thread, there are links to a lot of sites advertising apartments, furnished and unfurnished, for month-to-month rents of well under that. Unless the U.S. dollar has really gone to hell in the last few months, anyway. I found several in the $600/month range that looked decent. Of course, in person they might not be so great, no way to tell until I’m there.[/quote]

Could you please tell me where you found these? I can´t locate the threads you are referring to.

Thx

Nonsense. If you look at the main housing thread, there are links to a lot of sites advertising apartments, furnished and unfurnished, for month-to-month rents of well under that. Unless the U.S. dollar has really gone to hell in the last few months, anyway. I found several in the $600/month range that looked decent. Of course, in person they might not be so great, no way to tell until I’m there.[/quote]

Could you please tell me where you found these? I can´t locate the threads you are referring to.

Thx[/quote]

You can get a good place for about 20% or 30% above the usual price if you go through a housing agent who offers short term leases. Don’t sign a 1 year contract and break it. It makes it harder for all the other foreigners in TW to find houses, because landlords will stop trusting foreigners. Not to mention you lose your deposit (2 months rent) and you have to deal with the landlord getting uber pissed off.

I can give you the name and phone number of a good short-term housing agent in Taipei. I have used her before. It’s only a bit more expensive than usual.

[quote=“adikarmika”]
So, you lose a month’s rent. But by the sound of the alternatives, you’d still be much better off.
Just say something unexpected came up and you have to leave.[/quote]

This is the kind of dishonest bullcrap that gives foreigners a bad name in Taiwan.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Thumbs down.

[quote=“bumclouds”][quote=“adikarmika”]
Just say something unexpected came up and you have to leave.[/quote]

This is the kind of dishonest bullcrap that gives foreigners a bad name in Taiwan.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Thumbs down.[/quote]

do you think op gives a shit about giving foreigners a bad name in Taiwan?
It is nice you would give a shit while listed in Melbourne.
you are in Melbourne? why are you posting in a Taiwan thread?

[quote=“justreal”]do you think op gives a shit about giving foreigners a bad name in Taiwan?
It is nice you would give a shit while listed in Melbourne.
you are in Melbourne? why are you posting in a Taiwan thread?[/quote]

Do you ever have anything nice to say? Something useful? You seem to only snipe people?

Why do you post at all?