Short-term rental in Taipei

We are having difficulty finding a short-term lease in Taipei. Calling landlords from 591 app, but they want at least a year. We are already in Taiwan and just need 3-6 month lease before moving overseas.

• Does anyone know an agent who can help us?
  • Any place we can find a sublease advertising?

My spouse is Taiwanese citizen. We are willing to pay the rent upfront, if necessary and our renters rights are legally protected.

Thanks!

1 Like

Here is some advise.

When I needed to stay in Taipei for a few months, but not long enough to sign a one-year lease, I negotiated a deal with a hostel. Here in England, I negotiated something with somebody I found on Airbnb to do something similar more than once. I’m sure you could do the same out there.

piggybacking on this thread, what are the options for rentals < 1 year?

I want at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath for 2500 USD/month (70,000 TWD) and would like to be in or close to xinyi. Is this doable on shorter-term, furnished rentals for a relatively nice place? My ideal would be 2 or 3-month leases, but anything up to 9 months is ok.

We are a relatively minimalist family, have zero interest in buying furniture, would like to check out different parts of Taipei, and do not plan to stay during the summers, hence why I’m interested in shorter term. Airbnb seems to have a few options slightly above that price point. Where else should I be looking? Thanks!

Posting some of the airbnb listings I found so you can tell me if it’s good or if there are much better options out there. Thanks!!

New Taipei City

Q Square Mall

Daan MRT

Have you searched on 591 and checked the box for short-term leases?

Other options, already mentioned in the linked post above:

1. Some landlords asking for a 1 year lease might be willing to consider a shorter term lease if you offer a higher monthly rent. I’d guess 2-3 months would be a hard sell for most landlords, but I know from personal experience that some will be open to 6-9 months.

2. Try to find a suitable place that’s below your budget and factor in the cost of terminating the lease early. Commonly, lease agreements state that you have to give 1 month’s notice and pay a penalty of 1 month’s rent if you terminate the lease early. So if you’re willing to “lose” a month’s rent, you can turn a 1 year lease into a shorter lease.

Whatever you do, if you go the Airbnb route, make sure you see the place in person before you commit to anything long-term and sign a real lease with the landlord.

1 Like

With those selections you’re paying more for convenience, location and modernity.

Cheaper places can be found but not as modern or good location.

Serviced apartments might be an option and can find some on Google. I also see them sometimes roaming around town. I would at least give a couple of them a look just to compare.

1 Like

Only issue is that a serviced apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms will cost more than $70,000 in Xinyi.

1 Like

You can rent for one year and break the lease early. The standard rate is one month penalty for breaking early.

1 Like

Thank you all for all of the suggestions and advice.

That’s ok to pay more for those things, but just want to make sure it’s an appropriate amount more. I know some of you all see some listings clearly intended for western expats and say that those are a ripoff. But from talking to my friends and you guys it sounds like those airbnb listings are reasonable for what they offer? Especially if I can get a bit of a discount going direct to the source and cutting out airbnb?

Bumping this up.

Are there decent serviced apartments/short term rentals in Taipei that are below 60k/month?

I’m seeing lots of Airbnbs that are available at the 40k/month rate. Although I don’t like Airbnb, perhaps this is the best option.

That would be difficult for a true service apartment. You’ll have more options with an Air BnB.

I have a line grp of realtors you can dm