Should Americans be influencing local politics?

This seems clear enough to me.

Why is Hobart still confused? Under international law, there is no way that Taiwan (or the government in exile: Republic of China) is an independent and sovereign nation!!

That is a good theory but how does one become a naturalized citizen of Taiwan?

There is a Dual Nationality and Dual Citizenship Forum on this website.

I am sorry but to the best of knowledge there is no possible way for anyone to become a citizen of Taiwan. If that were possible I think many would be naturalized. Unfortunatly becoming a citizen of the Republic of China is the only option for people in Taiwan and few are interested.

Boomer, why are you singing this tired old song? I have never had my human rights trampled on in Taiwan…where is all of this abuse you speak of???
As for becoming a naturalized citizen of Taiwan - most people exercise a little common sense and realize the ROC and Taiwan are the same thing…pretty much like the States, the United States, and the United States of America (as well as America for some people) all mean the same thing. If you want to be a naturalized citizen talk to those who have done it - if you don’t want to ‘pay the price’ then please stop whining about it…it’s not going to change for your benefit.

Taiwan is not an independent and sovereign country. That is the fact of the matter. There can be no dispute about it . . . . . read the post WWII treaties !!!! Taiwan was not given to the Republic of China !!!![/quote]

From my vantage point (like when entering through customs and immigration at the CKS airport), I see the ROC “sitting on” Taiwan. How this affects anything… I’ll need a few beers to sort it out :s

Incorrect.
The “Republic of China” is a government in exile occupying a geographic area (i.e. “Taiwan”) where it does not have sovereignty.

From the standpoint of international law, the “Republic of China” nomenclature and “Taiwan” are not the same.

really…maybe according to you and Hartzell but in the real world…
and which international law? is there one that really says this and if so where? Just because the rest of the world doesn’t recognize Taiwan legally doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist? Remember when most of the world thought the earth was flat? did that make it flat?

Taiwan may not be connected to the PRC . . . . but it is not an independent sovereign country. The USA has restated this OVER and OVER AGAIN.

Taiwan is not an independent and sovereign country. That is the fact of the matter. There can be no dispute about it . . . . . read the post WWII treaties !!! Taiwan was not given to the Republic of China !!![/quote] Taiwan is not ruled by the USA any more than it is ruled by the PRC or any other country. Therefore, it is a sovereign nation.

On paper or in the treaties it might be something else, but the fact of the matter is that it is a sovereign country ruled by its own elected leaders, again, not by the PRC or the USA, Japan or any other country. I think you gather my meaning. I surely understand yours.

Actually, by not giving the PRC Taiwan’s assets in 1980, the US recognized taiwan as a seperate entity. Not that the PRC didn’t try to get Taiwan’s assets…

By saying those without ROC passports shouldn’t get involved in Taiwan’s politics excludes thousands of people who have children with Taiwanese from speaking for their child. Everyone who is legally in Taiwan has a reason, no matter why they are in Taiwan, to be political and ensure they are protected from harm against their body and livlihood. A good example might be the American Agricultural Workers in the US. Many only have Green Cards, but have every right to be political to protect themselves from greater powers and against exploitation. Maybe foreigners should think about becoming more, not less political in Taiwan. Can you imagine a foreign spouse unable to vote against a candidate who may not work in the best interests of the person’s family?

It appears to me that some people on this board think no one should leave home, and if they do they give up all right to anything. It follows then that these people also do not believe in universal rights, in other words, they believe that people only have rights if they are present in the country of their citizenship.

Bizarre.

I see no reason to ban resident foreigners from any kind of political activity allowed to people with ROC passports. Moreover so, as Taiwanese living in western countries are guaranteed the right to express their political views.

On a personal level, I feel that this is discrimination fair and square. First of all, I pay my taxes here, I live here, and I have my family here. Therefore I have a stake in the future of this island, and should be allowed to at least demonstrate for the things I believe in.

You my friend are a typical American putting you nose where it does not belong. Havent your country done enough meddeling in the world and what a mighty fine job you have done causeing destruction and death every where.Why are you americans so f***ing up youre selves you aint nothing special. A yankie passport or an ethiopian passport it meens nothing you are just another person your not special cause you are a yank so think about it before you and your country do more damage

So I am an american?

That makes you an ignorant. (No offense to any Americans posting, I hope).

Have you heard of human rights? Everybody equal before the law? That’s all in the constitution of ROC, and it’s ignorant twats like you keeping those values from having any meaningful content.

Shame on you, now go back to your little rainy island.

I’m all for independence… and I have only one nationality… ROC

[quote=“Mr He”]I see no reason to ban resident foreigners from any kind of political activity allowed to people with ROC passports. Moreover so, as Taiwanese living in western countries are guaranteed the right to express their political views.

On a personal level, I feel that this is discrimination fair and square. First of all, I pay my taxes here, I live here, and I have my family here. Therefore I have a stake in the future of this island, and should be allowed to at least demonstrate for the things I believe in.[/quote]

You can say all you like but you only get to change things thru a ballot box… and for tat you need to be a citizen to vote. I personally believe that you should say what you like… cause it’s don’t make no difference to us niggardly people in the woodpile here.

Well, I did not say that I desired the right to vote here - just that I would like the same rights of expression given to ROC citizens residing in the west.

That’s only fair. After all we live here too, and most of us actually contribute to this place.

I’m pretty sure that doesn’t mean what you think it does… :eh:

I’m pretty sure that doesn’t mean what you think it does… :eh:[/quote]
And Maoman should invest in a dictionary.

This comes from Dictionary.com:

nig