Should foreigners in Taiwan care about Taiwan if Taiwan doesn't care about foreign residents?

That’s not the question.

Then you’re good, unlike, apparently, the people who have been living here in angst for decades.

That’s good. Neither have I. But I suspect neither of us are migrant workers.

1 Like

Why did you delete it charlie
It’s all the same stuff.

I said I fictionally removed it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, some of us have been here long enough to know that .

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

I take a different view. Sometimes some doors need to close for other doors to open. Despite its many and obvious flaws, I’m glad to be in Taiwan.

Guy

2 Likes

You don’t believe their losers ?
What :grin:

Me too.

Sometimes the late great Tom Petty can help us understand:

Guy

1 Like

Even the losers get lucky sometimes, and we don’t have to live like a refugee. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m runnin’ down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin’ on a mystery, goin’ wherever it leads
Runnin’ down a dream
Yeah, I’m runnin’ down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin’ on a mystery, goin’ wherever it leads
I’m runnin’ down a dream

2 Likes

I love Tom Petty. Nothing came easy for this guy, and his speaks out his stories with howls of resilience—really inspiring in trying times.

Guy

1 Like

Very talented musician, had a tough last few years on earth.

2 Likes

It isn’t really because they always have a fresh plane of doe eyed, fresh meat FOBs landing in Taoyuan every day that the laobans can fleece for at least a year until they leave and another plane load comes in… ad infinitum. That’s why they never try to improve.

This is also what gives Taiwanese the idea that foreigners always go home the next year without any introspection on why their country creates a revolving door of foreigners, from corrupt businessmen down to an uncaring government.

As.long as the businessmen continue to get FOBs for their cram schools, they continue to support the government. The FOBs for the most part dont demand their rights and that suits everyone just fine.

2 Likes

But who are these FOB foreigners? Teachers? Teachers are a fungible resource. I don’t think many countries look at 99% of them as anything more than temporary.

TW isn’t a big destination for foreign executives or business people like SG, HK, Dubai, etc. and I don’t think it’s really trying to be?

1 Like

I’m a FOB teacher looking at 3 years instead of 5 for APRC, and am here because of the bilingualism policy.

1 Like

Are you happy with life in TW?

I’m still in the honeymoon period, but it helps that this is the first foreign country I’ve ever lived in that even has a permanent resident option. It reminds me a lot of Thailand and a lot of the criticisms are the same; the pay is a lot higher and the food is a lot worse.

2 Likes

Why call yourself a loser a loser from what ? Money?

1 Like