Should I be worried about China?

I’ve heard a very good opinion about Taiwanese situation recently. Uncle Xi promised to “deal with Taiwan” during his reign, but since now his reign is, well, “eternal” - Taiwan can wait.

For economic situation - protective bubble of Academia will save you. Especially if you’re on a scholarship. So it “can wait” too. As one prospective scientist with huge citation factor once said, “If your country is invaded on Sunday evening during summer holidays, which is also your birthday, wedding day and the day your first son is born - you still should be in the lab, working”.

If you’re really worried about a Chinese invation and still want to come, just rent a place near the National Palace Museum, which is the only place in Taiwan the Commies would never bomb. They really want the treasures CKS stole back where they belong, in the Forbidden City. I think that’s why Lee Teng-hui is living near there.

2 Likes

Seems like a pretty reasonable concern to me, so I wonder why there are so many snarky replies. I recently read a book by a prominent “futurist” who helps prepare the American government and other institutions to deal with potential future scenarios, so he’s taken pretty seriously by people who “matter”. To my surprise, the book contained an entire chapter on Taiwan. This author seems to think that we’re about to enter a turning point with Taiwan and that, for various reasons, President Xi will do everything he can to “resolve” the “Taiwan issue” within his presidency. This very prominent futurist’s predictions about Taiwan in the relatively short-term contained made for some pretty grim reading, but even if you think it’s unlikely that his predictions will come to pass, it’s pretty naive to think that the status quo will just keep going on indefinitely.

1 Like

How do you know they are not already there? Plus they have their own Palace Museum, filled with much more treasures. Where did they get them and if they are the real deal, that is another story. And for pete’s sake do not mention the Chinese Zodiac figures or the whole Middle Kingdom ire will fall on your head.

Kung fu people can walk on water, right? So I figure they’ll duke it out in the middle of the Taiwan Strait.

Who? :crystal_ball:

Nostradamus

1 Like

There is a 48% chance that 25% of the people will conclude that China has a 89% chance of thinking of invading within the next 321 years but only if there is at least a 72 percentile chance that 34 % of it’s troops will make it on shore

60% of the time, it works every time!

Just saw this posted on Reddit:

They also published a video in TAIWANESE… content not the friendliest.

So tired of the fiery rhetoric from China. And so tired of Taiwan generally keeping it’s head down. They need to fight back back with the war of words and at least set up their stance of sovereignty in the public/global media realm.

How about a big rally where we spell out the message “Fuck you China” when viewed from the air? That might get a reaction.

Whatever it takes, rallies every time would be good.

ah hell, I’m probably wrong. it’s probably a terrible approach. Just seems like China never shuts up about Taiwan.

Sorry, I was meant to include a link in my post. Here: https://www.amazon.com/2020-World-War-Paul-Cornish/dp/1473640350/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1524212334&sr=1-1

1 Like

Been done - not the F word, but Taiwan Free or something like that.

Yeah but something really in China’s face would be fun. A huge Mao pinata?

Well, Trump ones wwere popular for a while.

Mao pinata they have in Mainland. Huge statues in the middle of nowhere, and I mean like Fo Guang Shan buddha giant.

What you want is to negotiate with Disney to make a giant Winnie the Pooh blimp.

Taiwan has been upping the ante in their recent military exercises, even though the government claims the drills were all routine.

http://englishnews.ftv.com.tw/read.aspx?sno=467A7E102BE429B3A391E37A31C169CD

That is interesting. Thanks for the link.

I noticed the schedule seems to have changed on the frequency and times of air force jets flying around hualien. I figured it was related to the President Tsai being in Yilan recently, but I really don’t know.

Mostly I would like to see more of Taiwan’s point of view in the western media. It seems China has the upper hand there as well as militarily.