I currently work in the science park. Family is willing to provide up $1500萬 ($15,000,000) cash for the purchase of real estate for my use. If I bought a place at all within the next few months, I would try to get a condo in one of the new high rise buildings along Guanxin Rd. (關新路). This would be about a 20 minute drive to work during rush hour. Guanxin Rd. is a new development in Hsinchu City that is more and more resembling Zhubei, but as far as location goes, much closer to the science park (commute time from Zhubei would be double in rush hour). The Xinzhuang rail station is nearby, which is a 8 minute ride to the Hsinchu HSR station, though trains run only every half hour.
- The money is not leaving Taiwan and we have to invest it somewhere. Neither the money nor title to any property bought with it will be under my name.
- I will probably quit my job in two years and leave Hsinchu (and perhaps Taiwan) for good because better opportunities in my field are elsewhere and I have no love for this city.
- We could wait for the bubble to pop and buy in Taipei instead. But my family already has a decent sized condo in Taipei.
- I am currently renting a 7 ping studio for $7500/month, which is a 20 minute WALK to work (Guanxin Rd. is a 20 minute DRIVE and I would need to buy a scooter/car)
- At $30萬/ping, we could buy a 50 ping place (including car space and facilities, which means the actual apartment is only 25 ping). But new.
- I don’t have a spouse or kids, so don’t actually need the extra space. But it will feel like an actual home, instead of the dismal place I’m living in now, which feels worse than a college dorm room.