Should I give up immigrating to Taiwan?

I am technically a Taiwanese national through my parents. However, it is something I cannot prove because my parents are withholding the documents I need. There is no other way for me to legally obtain them. But if anyone knows of any lawyers that might be able to help, please recommend. I am Taiwanese American, and I cannot obtain photocopies of their US passports to authenticate my birth certificate. I do however, have a photocopy of one of my parents Taiwanese birth certificate and HHR, unsure if my birth was ever registered or if I was ever added. The name and DOB, matches their information on my birth certificate.

I had plan to just earn APR through working as an alternative, but it has recently come to my attention that those who are considered Taiwanese nationals (have Taiwanese parents) cannot apply for APRC. So I’m stuck in a legal dilemma where I cannot prove I’m a Taiwanese national, but at the same time still considered one. Would I even be able to renounce if I cannot prove I’m said person but at the same time still considered a Taiwanese national? How would NIA know?

It’s just extremely frustrating that I’m considered one despite having no benefits while trying and waiting for the past two years to reenter Taiwan which have been extremely financially and mentally detrimental. I am financially reliant and dependent on my partner who has been in Taiwan since the start of the pandemic having just left Hong Kong. We decided it would be best for him to stay in Taiwan due to his grandma recently having a health scare and it would be difficult for him to reenter (his family has APRC, but are not Taiwanese), while I went to Thailand as the most cost effective place to stay while riding out the pandemic. I finally graduated university a few months ago, but work permit holders still aren’t being issued visas. I wanted to pursue a Masters in Taiwan, but can’t qualify as an international student and scholarships I was interested in. I plan to finally reenter Taiwan as a Chinese language student this March, but the special entry apparently cannot be changed to another visa type meaning I’ll have to leave after 6 months if not just overstay potentially affecting future visa applications?

I love and am extremely thankful for my partner who means the world to me and helped me escape the mental, physical, and financial abuse my parents put me through and his family for supporting me, but the long distance and whole ordeal has been detrimental to our relationship. We wanted to start a life in Taiwan, but knowing that I am preventing him from staying in Taiwan long term to be with his family makes me wonder where our relationship might head. I just feel like I’ve come so close from having everything I’ve ever wanted, but everything it’s just out of reach. I just don’t know if it’s worth it anymore, I’m tired.

3 Likes

Best I can do. He speaks English. He’s a Taiwanese Canadian.

I’m from Canada. So I don’t know how well this applies to the United States. But I’ve been able to get copies of birth certificates and other documents of other family members by simply applying and sending them to where I live. Not passports of course, but various certificates by simply applying online and filling the information that I know to the registrar.

For me, it was claiming my rightful place as an Italian citizen.

7 Likes

If your goal is to enter and stay in Taiwan, and then deal with everything else, and of course depending on where your relationship is currently at, I could suggest getting married online through Utah, and apply for marriage visa. I just got my visa 2 days ago and we didn’t have any problems. If he doesn’t have household registration, you can only get a dependent visa, but you can at least be together and start solving other problems

3 Likes

Thanks, I was unaware that we could get legally married online and I will look into it.

Unfortunately, I do not believe I can get copies of important documents unless I’m said person, have written permission, or until they pass. But I appreciate the recommendation and will try contacting them for a consultation.

Which US state are we looking at? In Ontario they never bothered to check my ID at all.

Technically getting Taiwanese citizenship is your right and… maybe a lawyer could compell your parents to hand over information as well. Call mine to see what he says.

The NY TECO who seem to be quite strict but I don’t really fault them.

I did recently reach out to them again after finding more documents such as the photocopy of my mother’s Taiwan birth certificate and HHR after combing through old emails. My mother use to tell me I had a Taiwan passport, but I’ve never seen it. But there was a period of time I went to Taiwan when I was younger, and I wasn’t sure if they applied then and if it was to register my birth in Taiwan. The NY TECO did offer to try to search to see if I already had one, but I wasn’t entirely confident I correctly remembered my Chinese name which I don’t know the characters for. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to find anything using the name I gave but I did appreciate them trying to go out of their way.

Thanks, I just sent an e-mail not too long ago but will call to discuss further if he believes there’s a chance. If not, I’m also opened to renouncing (though I wish I didn’t have to) which will hopefully even be possible since it was something I already accepted when I planned to just obtain APRC through working before I realized I couldn’t.

I would rather have no further contact. I regretfully reached out to ask for the documents I needed, which they now hold over my head mockingly and send me harassing messages after giving them a way to contact me. I know it sounds rather dramatic, but it causes me a great deal of stress knowing they still are able to control and significantly impact my life and I just try not to give them control by engaging at all if possible.

1 Like

Yes, it would be legal in all US states, and Taiwan also recognizes it. We did everything by ourselves and the process is quite simple. Feel free to contact me if you want more information

Any updates? Were you able to get what you needed?

1 Like