Should I quit? Or am I just a whiner?

Hello,

Here’s a brief summary of my experience working at my first buxiban for a year:

PROS
-Paid on time, every time
Boss includes a receipt of the exact amount deducted for tax, health insurance, etc.

-Low pressure environment
The teaching part is pretty easy. There’s some “office work” that comprises of making up worksheets or quizzes. Very little or no marking. I usually sit around and look at my phone or slip outside and get some food at 711.

-Youngest students are at least 7~8 years old.
They at least know how to stay seated and write things down in a somewhat civilized manner.

CONS
-low pay ($48 000)
-6 day week (Mon-Fri, plus Sat mornings =~30 hrs/wk)

In my defense, I was a desperate newbie when I applied. I had also been told to expect a lower salary since I’m ABC.

After a year at this school though, I’m starting to wonder if I should move on or not.

Any tips or suggestions?

My biggest fear is quitting this super-steady job for a new one, only to find out that the advertised “$650-700/hr, NO WEEKENDS, FRIENDLY AND PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT!” turns out to be a worse job.

(I read the horror stories on the “blacklist of schools” thread and got very VERY scared.)

Any input would be appreciated!

dude 48k and you’re doing 30hrs a week

That blows my mind

I think there is a spectrum ranging from “shit pay + shit environment” to “great pay + great enviroment”. Sounds like you’re on the lower end of the middle where you get pretty shit pay but a pretty good environment.

Let’s take the easy example, HESS.

They start you off at 580/hr (which is shit pay) yet 580x30 = 17400 a week x4 weeks = 69600 - 18% tax = 57000.
5% would be 66120.

Working on Saturday is super shit too, when is your contract up?

You had one year, and if you don’t have restrictions on your work status you should move on.
I started low but not that low. After one year I felt confident to teach other age and level and that’s how I built up my reputation as well. I’d say go search for a new job, and don’t take anything less than 650$/hour.

48???

To twist a phrase from the late great Johnnie Cochran, if the pay does not fit, you must quit.

Any decision to change jobs involves an element of risk. It feels like quite a low risk in your case, though, as your current pay is so low. Applying for an ABC friendly chain like HESS is probably a good bet.

As always, secure a new job before leaving your current one.

3 Likes

Hess is a real big roll of the dice though.

You could get a super shit schedule/management/co-teachers etc

I’ve learned this through firsthand experience, and it’s a lesson you never forget.

1 Like

I’m finished the one year contract. The boss is in the process of trying to make me sign another one:/

Thanks, that would definitely be a good idea haha.

I’ve been running into some very frustrating situations at work lately and I was very tempted to just walk out.

Ask your boss for a raise to at least the 55-60k NTD range. If he refuses, then walk. I just feel under 50 is way too low and you’re being taken advantage of.

1 Like

Yeah, agreed. This is a perfect opportunity, new contract - new salary. You’re worth more to him than you were a year ago. Don’t back down.

1 Like

For 30 hours a week you should be earning 70,000

Definitely not a whiner. If it was me I wouldn’t even renegotiate, I’d just apply elsewhere. I wouldn’t walk out until I had the new job. Best of luck.

Oh, you mean you are waiting to hear the final word from your family abroad about XYZ and you really don’t want to sign another contract before you do because you would never want to cause any inconvenience for the school you’re working at now? So you will be happy to take a copy of the proposed contract but you won’t be able to sign it at the moment?

3 Likes

Low pay yes but paying 20k for rent (Taipei) or 10k somewhere else makes a big difference. Where do you work?

Get a new job, you have 1 year of experience you will get hired at a different school.