Should men pay on the first date?

The men usually pay for you even after the first date?

EDIT: Or did you mean you’re also a man?

If you’re interested in her and have asked her out on a date, of course you should pay. If it was a mutual decision to go out on a date, then discuss it like adults. Shouldn’t be that big a deal.

1 Like

In this day and age why should men pay at all? It’s about time women stepped up and treated men the same way they expect to be treated.

For us guys who date guys, yeah, a man always pays. I was just being a bit silly.

4 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with friends splitting a tab or perhaps alternate who treats. Whoever invites should pay. If my man couldn’t afford to take me for a bite to eat, then he wouldn’t be a match. He would be a platonic friend.
With that said, I never would order anything expensive or expect something expensive because that is rude. I also don’t feel any obligation if a man makes a point to say he bought dinner.
Over 39 years of marriage so far.

Why not make it simple, the one who suggests going out pays?

“Let’s go out, my treat!”

This also takes care of all dates without men or with only men.

1 Like

I decided my Taiwanese wife was a keeper when she insisted on paying half for an expensive vacation we went on shortly after we met. Coming from the US I was used to being relentlessly siphoned for money by women I dated. Years later it turns out she’s the real thing.

2 Likes

I’ve never had any girls milk me for free dates or anything. Everytime I’ve had any time with a woman we either gone dutch or she paid for me, so I have no indication whether or not she’s a keeper.

But I also don’t look like I’m made of money either.

So sex is available if the man pays? But only platonic relationship if he doesn’t?

1 Like

This topic has been discussed here a number of times over the years. Let me throw in a few vectors to speed this up a bit…

These discussions are almost exclusively from the male perspective.
Women earn less than men, across the board.
The point of a first date is to try to establish a bit about each other. Your date will be looking to see if you have your shit together. Present who you are. Don’t be afraid.
The person who suggests the idea of the first date should pay for that date.

My personal opinion: If your focus is on who pays for the first date, you have the wrong focus.

6 Likes

Here is an anecdote: a woman dates a man that makes 10+ times more than her. At the beginning she insists on splitting the bill every time, but eventually he tells her that the cost is so insignificant to him that she should not worry, so she accepts it and let him pay from then on…

Now if the genders were reversed, and you were the guy that is much less well off than your date, would you be comfortable accepting such offer?

1 Like

Not sure about that one. Most girls atleast make 36k+ let’s assume the minimum and most girls also stay at parents house paying no rent. So if such girl hang out with a guy who don’t even earn a lot . Like 48k per month and get even less after tax and also has to pay rent which is more than 10k+.

So if my math is correct , then I think that girl is having more monthly money than the guy with her

I say women earn less than men. You disagree, and provide a scenario where the woman earns 36k and the man earns 12k more than her.

You feeling ok mate?

U didn’t understand

According to the government statistics, women earned 15.8% less than men in 2021.

Like only girls stay at parent’s house… :roll_eyes: There is an often repeated misconception here that most young Taiwanese live at home for free, which is not true. Those who are lucky enough to live at home might not pay “rent” but most working Taiwanese give their parents 孝親費 (filial piety allowance) whether they live at home or not. If they live at home, then 孝親費 is most likely at least NT$10K/month.

3 Likes

I did.

You provided an example where a woman earns less than a man. You then confused yourself by imagining that she lives at home and he rents, and in your confusion of creative accounting you concluded that she therefore earns more than him. She doesn’t. She earns 12k less.

Wages are not expenditures. They are income. You’ve factored in outgoings, mistakenly.

Women earn less than men. The point stands.

3 Likes

Out of 10 girls I know , neither of them pay any money to their parents , earns more than 60k per month (more than me and my other male friends so obviously women don’t earn less than “all” the men in the world ) and none of the things u mentioned. I know even God can’t change your opinion but before u start throwing another stats at my face just maybe accept that other people opinion can also be true and not just what u know

If u disagree with me , that’s fine but u don’t have to completely negate my opinion as false

Again I reiterate that many people can have true opinions

Men are under more pressure to pay their parents an allowance, women don’t often have that.

1 Like

I am not dismissing your experience. There are things that you can have opinions because they are subjective, but facts are facts, which can be verified. You can say that among the people you know, women make more than men, which is doubtful but I am not going to argue with you. But when you disagree with someone on something that can be fact-checked, then it’s on you.

How do you know that?