Should men pay on the first date?

And even I know paying for woman is universal. What does that say about you?

If you suggested to split the bill, then the woman probably didn’t consider it a date.

What it says is you should be quiet lad.

Perhaps it’s time for another Forumosan poll to see if most guys here pay for their dates.

I’ll even throw in a third option:

“Offer to pay for one dish only, but tell her she needs to pay for her own drinks and extras.”

4 Likes

I never said ‘don’t pay for your dates’

What I said was it should not be an obligation to pay for everything. All the meals, all the time. Some girls expect this. They think its the manly thing to do. And guys who live at home with mommy and have no bills are fine with it. I’m not, if I want to pay- it’s my treat.

As for first dates I can’t really remember. I probably did a fair amount but plenty of girls ask to go halves too.

3 Likes

I split the bill a few times when dating my wife. Seems to have worked out just fine

Edit: to make things clear usually the girl suggests Splitting the bill at least in Taipei (don’t have experience dating in Taiwan outside Taipei).

Yeah this is what I mean. If you want to pay that’s ok to. Sometimes it’s nice to give a gift. Anyway it’s almost always best to choose a low stakes first date preferably something that doesn’t cost money or at least not very much money.

1 Like

He sees women as equals, and doesn’t want to put them in a position where they feel they owe something?

I’ve split costs with plenty of Taiwanese girls. When I invite someone on a first date I tend to pay, but I won’t argue about it.

There was one time a catfish suggested a place for a drink, and then she had dinner as well, and when the bill came she just looked it it and didn’t move. If she’d been interesting or attractive, the time and money would have been well spent.

If a woman never contributes anything, I don’t see that as the foundation for a relationship

But again, this hasn’t generally been my experience here. Usually women have at least made an effort to pay on the first or second date

2 Likes

Only counts if family come

I’d be more curious to know how many guys never or rarely date girls that won’t spend anything

Yeah

Ok, seems we’re seeing a trend

I wouldn’t take a first date on a freebie. Even a walk can have a cold drink. But yeah, nothing too expensive

This is contrary to what @RickRooney is claiming. He claims Taiwanese girls never offer to split the bill.

Nothing wrong when a date offers to split the bill. I was saying you shouldn’t expect them to do that if you asked her out. Unless you’re peers or mates or something, “asking someone out to dinner” usually implies you’re paying - whether it is a date or not (but especially if it’s a date).

Whether it’s a date or not, asking someone out to dinner usually implies you’re buying them dinner unless you’re close friends or colleagues or roommates, or just getting a casual quick bite or something.

@RickRooney you were initially complaining that women here never offer suggestions on where to eat:

Perhaps you can change your phrasing when you ask women out? If you expect them to make suggestions, then you should make it clear that you’re not paying for them. You can say something like “hey wanna grab some food after work tomorrow?” instead of “may I take you out to dinner on Friday night?”.

That’s how I feel, Taiwanese women have really surprised me with their proactive attempts to pay on the first date

Maybe you should quote him in full?

1 Like

I entertain you with a full reply and this is how you repay me? :smiling_face_with_tear:

No I was saying that those girls who expect the guys to organize everything, where to eat, what to do, while they sit back and contribute nothing - because of cultural dating aspects -are not my cup of tea.

3 Likes

Ok, but I think it still goes back to who’s paying. If someone has made it clear that they’re paying for me (whether it be dinner or a full-day’s worth of fun), then I wouldn’t feel comfortable offering any suggestions on where to go, as it may be out of their budget.

If you’re looking for suggestions on activities, then it might be best to keep it casual, and make it clear that you’re not paying for her.

Of course, don’t do this on the first date. You should definitely pay for and plan for everything on the first date, to make your intentions clear.

Its part of Taiwan culture where men are suppose to "take the lead always ". Its stupid but its how it is.

1 Like

Always pay the first time.

After that can split it up…

Nah see how much you like her. If you don’t get on split it, if you’re really into her then pay.

2 Likes

At most pay for the first one, never afterwards.

1 Like

Yeah agree…I think how it shakes out afterwards is a good indicator of trustworthiness, splitting it up evenly after the first date seems fair

When I go on a date, a man always pays :wink:

3 Likes