Should my boss pay for my broken laptop? (+lice)

During the pandemic we had to teach online, but from the school. My boss asked me to bring my laptop for that. I don’t know why did I say yes. Maybe I was worried she would fire me if I said otherwise.
One day while teaching my screen stopped working. I think it’s the trips from home to work with the laptop in the backpack what broke it, but who knows? It costed me 5000NTD to replace the screen. I just repaired it few days ago. I am thinking about asking my boss for the money because she should have provided the laptop or PC to do the online classes. On the other side I agreed to bring my laptop…
I don’t think she will pay me a penny of those 5000NTD, but asking is free.

Also my scalp fells itchy these past few days and I am thinking maybe that kid that lives with so many dogs under the same roof and seems to take a shower once a week may have lice and he passed them to me…

What the hell did I just read?

11 Likes

I would take this opportunity to tell your boss that your personal equipment is broken, and it’s unable to be repaired. In order to keep doing whatever they’re asking you to do, you’ll need them to provide you with a work computer.

No comment on the lice…? Do you have a question or?

Actually I wanted to know if anyone got lice while in Taiwan. I will get my scalp checked if the itchy feeling doesn’t stop, but I am not sure if going to the barbershop makes sense. They would probably panic, right? I have few and short hair, I think it may be just the stress. Is there any famous or recommended product for that here in Taiwan?
But that kid… the odor and apparently lack of hygiene… everything is possible.

Probably a better idea to see a dermatologist rather than a barber.

3 Likes

Have you considered shaving your head? Taking the habitat away

1 Like

Do dogs have lice? I thought they had fleas.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be fair to ask your employer to pay for the entire cost of repairs, because you also used the laptop for personal use which contributed to the screen decaying.

Also, it’s quite normal for small companies not to provide phones or laptops. Even if my company provided me a laptop and a phone, I wouldn’t take them because I don’t want to be responsible for TWO laptops and TWO phones.

Are you teaching English…? :thinking:

Doesn’t sound like a good work situation/school. If you are afraid of getting fired, she probably knows that and won’t give you a dime. I would look for a better job elsewhere if possible. I wouldn’t want to work for an employer who cannot, or is not willing to, provide the equipment necessary for me to do my job.

He has another thread, for your interest

simple answer for the OP…
no

4 Likes

This is why you negotiate as part of your contract or renegotiate the terms of your contract.

You didn’t talk about maintenance costs before agreeing, she doesn’t have an obligation to maintenance costs.

2 Likes

I noticed most jobs here require the employee to bring their personal laptop unless it’s one of the larger well known companies. A Taiwanese friend had to repair her personal laptop and the boss said she should take a vacation, so she had to use up a week of holidays. Not sure what would’ve happened if she refused, maybe would have had random work around the office.

1 Like