Should Taiwan drug test foreign English teachers regularly?

In my home town (Canberra, Australia) the law will change at the end of January 2020 to make personal use and possession of cannabis legal. The world is slowly realising that alcohol is evil and pot is not.

2 Likes

Annnd,how is this related to this thread title?

1 Like

Sorry. I thought it was obvious. Regular drug testing for marijuana use should not happen, IMHO!

You advocate no testing for marijuana for English teachers in Taiwan? Alrighty then.

Regular testing would be a good way to drive out most of the English teachers, if that’s the motive behind it…

2 Likes

I agree. SRIs, ADHD stimulants, and testing positive for herpes should be added to the no-go list. Teachers of foreign languages in Taiwan should be exemplary models of the culture they represent. I’m tired of having to explain how I am above the stereotypes that are made about people who look somewhat like me.

1 Like

How many English teachers would pass that test do you recon, percentage wise?

Hopefully a high one. Competition based on ability is pushing the metric unfairly out of reach for people trying to live clean, wholesome lives. These teachers with “character” are so popular yet live dark law-breaking lives and their students are totally unaware.

Everyone is entitled to their private life. Teachers are exemplars but having some fun out of harms way is to be expected.

I personally think tw should liberalize its weed policy but crack down harder on k, e, and pills esp. That’s what vn does, it seems to work.

Plus tw is a good place because people dont stick their noses is other people’s BI too much. Testing is intrusive.

1 Like

Testing should be required every 6 months! Get rid of all the dope users!

You should have a bit more compassion for people with substance abuse problems. You’re a bit on your high horse. None of us are without sin, and those that claim they are probably have the most skeletons in their closet.

I do think anyone who is trying to get away with an active drug-using lifestyle here is nuts due to the high likelihood you’ll get caught, but I don’t think recreational pot smoking is indicative of bad moral character anymore than recreational drinking.

4 Likes

I know a fair few English teachers and none of them smoke weed. Supposedly it’s massively over-priced in Taiwan.

1 Like

Supposedly it is over priced . Over priced and over punished. is a big no no .Perhaps give them a very complex grammar problem test, which they have to solve , sober and then after a joint. If they pass then then ok they get the job (I’m kidding). As you can see I’d fail both. :rofl:

agree

2 Likes

How am I involved in this?

@BiggusDickus

I was in the middle of replying to you, then typed ‘agree’ to Drew midway without changing the recipient. My bad.

For the record, that comment was intended for @DrewC

2 Likes

No worries. I was just confused.

As long as they aren’t high at work, who cares?

Someone with a hangover is probably a much worse teacher than someone who smoked some herb the night before.

I’m a libertarian pirate though. Everything should be legal for personal use.

I’d rather get rid of all the smokers and bing lan chewers. Especially the smokers…

Ya, burpers and farters as well.