Should the site administrator (Maoman) be more professional?

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Can someone please split this thread. bobpine is making a jackass out of himself and someone needs to stop it before the whole world blows up or something.[/quote]You have not even addressed anything I have said yet. You are just attacking the messenger. But as mentioned in this thread already, “friends” will prevail over professionalism. Are you calling me a jackass, Mr. Moderator?

Honestly, I never read such disrespectful shit by bobepine. We all have our own opinions on how things could be run better, but this really takes it to a new low. In case you missed it, the admins started and own this place. It’s a privilege, not a right, to post here.

Over the years, there have been 1 or 2 individuals who have create a LOT of work for the mods and admins, and bobepine, you are one of them.

Log out.

[quote=“Truant”]It’s a privilege, not a right, to post here.[/quote]If it’s the case, why is this called a community?

Tick, tick, tick…

[quote=“Truant”]In case you missed it, the admins started and own this place. It’s a privilege, not a right, to post here.[/quote]It’s a public forum. If you just want to chat to your buddies, I’d suggest one of the many instant messaging services.

I agree, what is your point?

[quote=“bobepine”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“bobepine”][quote=“Dragonbones”]

I respectfully strongly disagree. [/quote]My respect to you, too, as always.

Thanks DB.

[quote]Why don’t you take a little time to cool off instead of continuing to post in anger? It won’t do you (or anybody) any good.

:wink:[/quote]Did I really sound angry? I’m not angry mate. :wink:[/quote]

Chris,

I want to come down to where you are with a large quantity of beer. How does that sound?[/quote]

Large quantity of beer+ meeting Toasty… Geez. OK. Sounds fantastic to me. :slight_smile: PM me and I’ll give you my phone number.

C.[/quote]

When I read your long post late last night (I think I stopped around the lake Louise bit), I thought, “man, this is one guy who really needs a drink badly.”

Nope, its just that I have never read the rules because I know how to behave. It seems to me that Bobepine has a copy printed out and stuck to his wall for reference.

You’ll never see me call somebody a cunt online, but I’ll do my best to make you look like one if you deserve it :wink: .

Come on we are all adults here, stop being silly about a small section of the Internet.

Bobepine, maybe it’s time for you to set up your own version of the flob, adhering to this vision you have. You certainly seem to have it figured out, although it doesn’t sound like the kind of place I’d be very interested in.
Still, if you’re right, you’d have the satisfaction of seeing it develop into the biggest site for expats in Taiwan, while the flob would be maoman, me and maybe almas john scratching each other’s balls and wondering where it all went wrong.

If you’re right.

Watch out kids, the boys are revolting!

For what it’s worth, and it’s probably really hard to believe by now, I actually think that Maoman is a really nice guy. No it’s true, I actually like the guy even though I sometimes get pissed off with him.

I just think that his mind is at play rather than at work, and that’s why I used the analogy about me running a business years ago but having rock climbing in mind instead of actually doing my job.

Back to what Muzha Man suggested, I think admin should indeed clean house and start acting professional. The site does resemble a “friends club” to MM, to me, and to many others who have been posting here for a while. Believe it or not.

Women don’t post because of the prevailing tone, and the “friends club” is setting the tone; the “big boys” are setting the tone. As Maoman said himself in this thread, the buck stops with him. If Maoman can’t address this, then someone else would have to if you want to see more women posting on this site.

No offense intended!

Cheers!

Aeiyo. THIS IS NOT MAOMAN’S JOB!!!

It is his hobby. It is his “play”. So if his mind is on play, I’d say he is being successful.

Sandman’s right Hatch. Go start your own site in your own way.

I’ve never met someone who loves the sound (sight) of his own voice(posts) so much. And I include myself in that.

I need to make one thing very clear…Maoman’s mind is most certainly focused where it should be. I know, I have checked…believe me, I have. His priorities are exactly where they need to be.

You need to be more respectful for all that he has done and aims to do…and I am finished with your nonsense.

You need to stop attacking him…

I thought Bobepine’s story was pretty neat in and of itself. Sounds like an interesting life experience, and maybe you could expand in a separate thread.

But as a metaphor or a parable, I don’t think it worked.

That said, the valid points I got from your thread was that:

1. Is this a community or a friend’s club?

a. There are always going to be different levels of users - casual and hardcore, but as anywhere, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

b. Is F.com meant to be exclusionary? I don’t particularly think so; we were all strangers here once, so we all broke the ice in one way or another.

c. But I do see there’s threads, that were I a woman, I would not care for. However, it’s just as easy to ignore those threads (or conversely jump in with both feet and argue). Yet I could tell you there’s lot of ignorant threads generalizing about Taiwanese/Chinese that I don’t particularly care for either, but I either ignore them or argue with them.

d. Having said all that, I think you do raise a valid point which is to ask what is the goal of F.com? What kind of audience does it want to attract? what scope? Does it want to be another Oriented, or it’s fine just the way it’s “naturally” evolving?

e. That said, I suppose it couldn’t hurt for the mods/Maoman to be more tactful (ie standard boilerplate…) in their official responses just to protect the image of F.com. But that’s up to them.

Boys are usually revolting little buggers.

Well, so long as we’re being critical, I might as well throw in my complaints…

It irks me to no end that Maoman doesn’t devote all or at least most of his time to making this site more suitable to my particular tastes. I mean, OK, he did a nice job organizing a Dead Happy Hour… but, come on Maoman, one Grateful Dead Happy Hour in all of the time I have been here? That’s a piss poor record, IMO. I think this place would be much more attractive to Deadheads if there were more Dead art and icons, and I think every Happy Hour should have a Grateful Dead theme. That’s what would make ME happy and satisfied. So, what are you going to do about this, Maoman?

Look, for the price of registering here at Forumosa.com and for the time and effort that I put into posting here, I am appalled that Maoman even considers his wife, baby, dog and his business to be more important than Moi and my needs and wants and desires.

It really pisses me off that Maoman and Forumosa.com aren’t perfect. Is perfection too much to ask?

My suggestion would be for the moderators not to spend so much time beating up on a person who gives feedback. It makes you look petty. All you have to say is, “Thank you for your concern. We will take it up at the next moderator clambake.” I mean, I feel sorry for Bobepine and I didn’t even read what he said.

Dear Dr. McCoy, thank you for your concern. We will take it up at the next moderator clambake

Dear Dr. McCoy, thank you for your concern. We will take it up at the next moderator clambake[/quote]
See that. Was that so hard?
I feel validated.

[quote=“Tigerman”]Well, so long as we’re being critical, I might as well throw in my complaints…

It irks me to no end that Maoman doesn’t devote all or at least most of his time to making this site more suitable to my particular tastes. I mean, OK, he did a nice job organizing a Dead Happy Hour… but, come on Maoman, one Grateful Dead Happy Hour in all of the time I have been here? That’s a piss poor record, IMO. I think this place would be much more attractive to Deadheads if there were more Dead art and icons, and I think every Happy Hour should have a Grateful Dead theme. That’s what would make ME happy and satisfied. So, what are you going to do about this, Maoman?

Look, for the price of registering here at Forumosa.com and for the time and effort that I put into posting here, I am appalled that Maoman even considers his wife, baby, dog and his business to be more important than Moi and my needs and wants and desires.

It really pisses me off that Maoman and Forumosa.com aren’t perfect. Is perfection too much to ask?[/quote]
FINALLY somebody with the balls to say it like it is around here! :notworthy: :bravo: