Should the site administrator (Maoman) be more professional?

Some would consider that to be essentially un- or non-responsive.

Then, they would complain about the mods/admins being un- or non-responsive.

Personally, I think all of the mods should be anonymous to us general posters. I think that would be helpful.

Or, Moaman can just get to work making Forumosa.com fit and suitable to me and my ideas. I mean, if the rest of yinz can’t work out perfection, then the place might as well be perfect for me, at least.

[quote=“tash”][quote=“Tigerman”]Well, so long as we’re being critical, I might as well throw in my complaints…

It irks me to no end that Maoman doesn’t devote all or at least most of his time to making this site more suitable to my particular tastes. I mean, OK, he did a nice job organizing a Dead Happy Hour… but, come on Maoman, one Grateful Dead Happy Hour in all of the time I have been here? That’s a piss poor record, IMO. I think this place would be much more attractive to Deadheads if there were more Dead art and icons, and I think every Happy Hour should have a Grateful Dead theme. That’s what would make ME happy and satisfied. So, what are you going to do about this, Maoman?

Look, for the price of registering here at Forumosa.com and for the time and effort that I put into posting here, I am appalled that Maoman even considers his wife, baby, dog and his business to be more important than Moi and my needs and wants and desires.

It really pisses me off that Maoman and Forumosa.com aren’t perfect. Is perfection too much to ask?[/quote]
FINALLY somebody with the balls to say it like it is around here! :notworthy: :bravo:[/quote]Tell us more about what YOU think, tash. :rainbow:

I did, some 352 pages ago.
Now I’m just sipping my cappuccino and enjoying the show :smiley:

And don’t pretend you don’t get irony just so you’d confuse those who really don’t. :raspberry:

Some would consider that to be essentially un- or non-responsive.

Then, they would complain about the mods/admins being un- or non-responsive.

Personally, I think all of the mods should be anonymous to us general posters. I think that would be helpful.

Or, Maoman can just get to work making Forumosa.com fit and suitable to me and my ideas. I mean, if the rest of yinz can’t work out perfection, then the place might as well be perfect for me, at least.[/quote]
Non-responsive is the order of the day, is it not?

I know Forumosa isn’t a business and I don’t give a shit one way or the other. But this same kind of smart-ass response is what will cause people not to give feedback. And in that case you should not have the stupid feedback forum if all you are going to do is make fun of those who attempt to contribute.

Bobepine should be grateful that Maoman has provided the forum with the Bobepine emoticon (you know, the wenking one).

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Non-responsive is the order of the day, is it not?

I know Forumosa isn’t a business and I don’t give a shit one way or the other. But this same kind of smart-ass response is what will cause people not to give feedback. And in that case you should not have the stupid feedback forum if all you are going to do is make fun of those who attempt to contribute.[/quote]

Actually, there was nothing in my post that was “smart-assed”… I was seriously trying to make a point. Just like everyone else here, yourself included. In any event, I am surprized that you of all people would be upset by what you perceive to be a “smart-assed” response…

Anyway… I think that you think too much. I think that most people who complain about a free site think too much.

In the past, there were times when I thought too much. I think much less now and I am much happier.

Some of yinz might wanna give it a try.

That’s all I’m sayin.

Interesting little gang-up going on here.

As I see it, bobepine wrote, in as polite terms as he could:

[quote=“bobepine”]Dear administrators,

If I may, I would like to offer my opinion about this topic. Mind you, it’s not all positive. I don’t know what your vision is when it comes to operating this site, but I’d like to share my vision with you…

Sexism is not the problem on this site. The general tone is the problem. In my opinion, the boss should be the example to follow, and Maoman’s posts are often showing a lack of professionalism given the responsibility he holds as a community leader. Maoman sets the tone on this site as a leader, and his tone is often inappropriate.
[/quote]

To which Maoman responds:

This is completely inappropriate and whether meant to be ironic or not proves bp’s point. Maoman, you owe bp an apology.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Non-responsive is the order of the day, is it not?

I know Forumosa isn’t a business and I don’t give a shit one way or the other. But this same kind of smart-ass response is what will cause people not to give feedback. And in that case you should not have the stupid feedback forum if all you are going to do is make fun of those who attempt to contribute.[/quote]

Actually, there was nothing in my post that was “smart-assed”… I was seriously trying to make a point. Just like everyone else here, yourself included. In any event, I am surprized that you of all people would be upset by what you perceive to be a “smart-assed” response…

Anyway… I think that you think too much. I think that most people who complain about a free site think too much.

In the past, there were times when I thought too much. I think much less now and I am much happier.

Some of yinz might wanna give it a try.

That’s all I’m sayin.[/quote]
There’s a time and a place for everything. I’m not complaining, just making a suggestion. If I was in a position of authority, I wouldn’t be making light of people who were unhappy with something on the site. That’s all I’m saying.

I like it here and I wouldn’t post if I didn’t, but what I saw was one guy has some kind of problem, then one moderator calls him a jackass, another moderator says to go and start your own site, another moderator makes a point by pretending to be mad that everything is not perfect. If you’re going to ignore what he has to say anyway, you might as well show some class doing it. Otherwise you just reinforce the idea that forumosa is just a good ol’ boys network and a fart joke repository.

Doc,

I’m not a mod. Nor am I in any other position of authority.

I’m just stating my opinion.

And that’s all it is. One in a bunch.

I don’t think anyone was ignoring what bp was saying. If they were, they would not have replied. Rather, I think people were disagreeing with bp.

[quote=“Tigerman”]Doc,

I’m not a mod. Nor am I in any other position of authority.

I’m just stating my opinion.

And that’s all it is. One in a bunch.

I don’t think anyone was ignoring what bp was saying. If they were, they would not have replied. Rather, I think people were disagreeing with bp.[/quote]
The man never gives up.

You’ll always be a mod to me dude.

Takes two to tango… :wink:

That’s odd.

I stopped modding because I didn’t think I could mod the way admin wanted me to mod. No problem.

I don’t post as much as I did in the past… but, that’s because I’ve said about all I have to say in the IP Forum… no sense in repeating it… But, I didn’t give up on the site. I still like it. I like lots of the people here… you included. I like F.com events. Its a good site, overall. Its not perfect. Sometimes people get irritated with each other and get snarky at each other. But I wouldn’t say that the overall tone is a problem. At least, its not a big important problem.

Anyway, its not my site. I don’t spend my money to run it. I don’t spend my time to maintain it. I don’t spend my time to moderate it.

I’m just bored today.

Takes two to tango… :wink:

That’s odd.

I stopped modding because I didn’t think I could mod the way admin wanted me to mod. No problem.

I don’t post as much as I did in the past… but, that’s because I’ve said about all I have to say in the IP Forum… no sense in repeating it… But, I didn’t give up on the site. I still like it. I like lots of the people here… you included. I like F.com events. Its a good site, overall. Its not perfect. Sometimes people get irritated with each other and get snarky at each other. But I wouldn’t say that the overall tone is a problem. At least, its not a big important problem.

Anyway, its not my site. I don’t spend my money to run it. I don’t spend my time to maintain it. I don’t spend my time to moderate it.

I’m just bored today.[/quote]
I really thought you were still a moderator. Shows you what I know.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Interesting little gang-up going on here.

If I may, I would like to offer my opinion about this topic. Mind you, it’s not all positive. I don’t know what your vision is when it comes to operating this site, but I’d like to share my vision with you…

Sexism is not the problem on this site. The general tone is the problem. In my opinion, the boss should be the example to follow, and Maoman’s posts are often showing a lack of professionalism given the responsibility he holds as a community leader. Maoman sets the tone on this site as a leader, and his tone is often inappropriate.
[/quote]

This is completely inappropriate and whether meant to be ironic or not proves bp’s point. Maoman, you owe bp an apology.[/quote]
He won’t be getting it. :laughing: MM, On Forumosa, as in real life, not everything is equal. Some feedback is better than others, some people post better, and some people just live to whine. Bobepine is upset because he was suspended for two weeks for posting PMs after repeated warnings. His first day back and he wants to lash out. Understandable, but there’s no way I’m going to take his complaints too seriously.

You, on the other hand, have all kinds of credibility with me, and I’ll listen carefully to any points you make. Bobepine, however, is no Mucha Man.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Interesting little gang-up going on here.

[/quote]

This is completely inappropriate and whether meant to be ironic or not proves bp’s point. Maoman, you owe bp an apology.[/quote]
Bupkis. Maoman responded appropriately to the concerns raised days ago, offering to sit down face to face with a few of the ladies concerned.
Everything afterwards is little better than a collective circle jerk, save bobepine’s post, which merely rehashes the issue (to what good end?), and displays far too much navel gazing to be considered part of a proper communal wank.

I thought Bobepine’s story was pretty neat in and of itself. Sounds like an interesting life experience, and maybe you could expand in a separate thread.

But as a metaphor or a parable, I don’t think it worked.

That said, the valid points I got from your thread was that:

1. Is this a community or a friend’s club?

a. There are always going to be different levels of users - casual and hardcore, but as anywhere, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

b. Is F.com meant to be exclusionary? I don’t particularly think so; we were all strangers here once, so we all broke the ice in one way or another.

c. But I do see there’s threads, that were I a woman, I would not care for. However, it’s just as easy to ignore those threads (or conversely jump in with both feet and argue). Yet I could tell you there’s lot of ignorant threads generalizing about Taiwanese/Chinese that I don’t particularly care for either, but I either ignore them or argue with them.

d. Having said all that, I think you do raise a valid point which is to ask what is the goal of F.com? What kind of audience does it want to attract? what scope? Does it want to be another Oriented, or it’s fine just the way it’s “naturally” evolving?

e. That said, I suppose it couldn’t hurt for the mods/Maoman to be more tactful (ie standard boilerplate…) in their official responses just to protect the image of F.com. But that’s up to them.

And what’s wrong with saying that? I was completely serious. If I hated it here as much as bobepine seems to, and if after several years of stating his opinion in this regard, right back to the days of Hatch and Leo, that’s PRECISELY what I would do, if I had such a clear vision of what I wanted as bobepine seems to have.
Plus, I wasn’t TELLING him to do that. I was suggesting that it might be an alternative to bashing his head against the wall.

Some things to consider…

1. Is feedback weighed against motivation?

2. Is the tone of the site important when considering the number of posters?

3. Is the internet real?

4. Is the act of posting on this site sad in itself?

5. Should the rules evolve, just as the site does?

6. Can’t we all just get a bong?

I mean for Christ’s sake! I don’t go to the Tavern because I can’t stand televised sport and all the TV screens and noise there. It’s so fucking SIMPLE!
I don’t sit there at the bar shouting at Michel to GET RID OF THE FUCKING TVS! PEOPLE DON’T LIKE THEM!

I feel sorry for him because I read what he said.

[quote=“sandman”]I mean for Christ’s sake! I don’t go to the Tavern because I can’t stand televised sport and all the TV screens and noise there. It’s so fucking SIMPLE!
I don’t sit there at the bar shouting at Michel to GET RID OF THE FUCKING TVS! PEOPLE DON’T LIKE THEM![/quote]

I don’t see bobepine shouting. I see or rather read YOU shouting. Maybe bobepine has shouted a lot in the past, but I am not privy to those conversations.

You guys - and this includes Maoman - don’t realize that you are preaching, and shouting, to the choir. But not everyone is part of that tight group. Some just drop in occassioanlly. So this weird belittling bp looks just like a gang up by a bunch of friends.

I’m not saying bp is quiltless as I have certainly seen him make an ass of himself many times. But he isn’t now, unless his very act of speaking is rididulous and obviously meant to get back at Maoman for banning him for two weeks. But such an interpretation goes too far. If you just don’t want bp to speak or be heard, if you are so tired of his voice you can only react to it with disdain and aggression, then ban him completely.

But until he is banned completely he deserves respect from the administration. At the very least Maoman could have said, “bobepine, I think you are not arguing sincerely but are merely trying to get back at me for banning you for two weeks. If you still feel the way you do in a few days, repost, and I will consider what you say.”

Instead, Maoman gives bp the cold shoulder without explanation. Well, that may be fine for the mods who know everything, but it not a proper public response. It is rather contemptuous of the community at large as it assumes we don’t need to be told why a member is being treated rudely. It goes to the heart of the complaint that this place is run like a club where only certain members need to be filled in.

Maoman can run Fcom anyway he likes. I don’t really care anymore. But he can’t publically berate someone and expect the rest of us are simply going to take his word, and the word of his friends, that the person deserved it.