Should women be in the military?

NO! Don’t go that way, there be dragons! No matter how right you are, you will be a flag burner because Saving Jessica Lynch is deeply held folklore.

HG

NO! Don’t go that way, there be dragons! No matter how right you are, you will be a flag burner because Saving Jessica Lynch is deeply held folklore.

HG[/quote]

Yes you are right and while I love your post HG, I still have to bring it up because it shows how segregated America still is in the 21st century…

HG[/quote]

Yes you are right and while I love your post HG, I still have to bring it up because it shows how segregated America still is in the 21st century…[/quote]
What?? :noway:
I don’t get how your example shows segregation in the U.S.

Bodo

Don’t you know …anything bad that happens somehow shows how evil America and its awful segregated society is…you just gotta look really really hard for it sometimes. :loco:

From what I recall, Shoshanna, was ambushed with several of her fellows enroute. While they were only the “cooks” they were armed. Shoshanna was shot in the ankle and was held captive(hostage). There is video evidence of this. Now what I recall from Jessica, was that her wound was minor, like it makes a difference but she was taken to a Iraqi hospital and well treated. As Shoshanna was closer to being killed if demands or a resuce wasn’t made. It’s in the media how Jessica’s story isn’t really all that “major” and how facts were dramatised for effect.

Either way, both women served their counties without complain and should be treated with respect for putting their lives on line for freedom and Bush’s agenda. Here’s my toast to them :beer:

double post

[quote=“Bodo”]
Yes you are right and while I love your post HG, I still have to bring it up because it shows how segregated America still is in the 21st century…[/quote]
What?? :noway:
I don’t get how your example shows segregation in the U.S.

Bodo[/quote]

Via the press/media is what I am saying

[quote] Army Private First Class Jessica Lynch was not stabbed. She was not shot. But she does have two broken legs, a broken right arm, a broken right foot and ankle and a broken lumbar spine, a hospital spokesman said at a press conference on Friday. She’s also being treated for a cut to her head.
“She has undergone several surgeries to stabilize her injuries, including spinal surgery,” said a spokesman at Landstuhl hospital in Germany, where a number of American GIs are treated.
.[/quote]

[quote][url=http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=8455]Lynch’s biography, I Am a Soldier Too: The Jessica Lynch Story, describes her injuries. Her right arm was shattered between her shoulder and her elbow. The compound fracture shoved slivers of bone through muscles, nerves, and skin, leaving her right hand virtually useless. Her spine was fractured in two places, causing substantial nerve damage. Her left leg was broken both above and below the knee, and the broken bone had damaged her nerves there, too. Her right foot was crushed. Those injuries later would lead to her discharge from the military with an 80% disability.

. . . . .

While taking a brief break, Lynch points out her injuries. She has no feeling in, or control of, her left foot and so must wear a 90o ankle brace. Her right foot was badly injured. She walks with a noticeable limp and has scars on her arms, legs, and forehead. She also mentions the spinal injury and the metal rods in her leg and arm, as well as pain while sleeping. “Most nights, my back and legs bother me,” she says.[/url] [/quote]

Sounds like Jessica Lynch got more than just a few scratches, Namma. I am surprised that you are so quick to believe that Shoshanna was much worse off than Lynch.

[quote]She received a bullet wound to her ankle, causing injuries to both legs.
. . . . .
In December 12, 2003, Johnson retired from the U.S. Army on a Temporary Disability Honorable Discharge. Johnson has received numerous awards and recognition for her courage, valor, and service to the United States. She has presented talks throughout the nation about her experience as a prisoner of war, and has been recognized with standing ovations from small groups to over 65,000 people at select events hosted by public and private organizations. Critics have accused the military and media of racism in that they focused attention on Jessica Lynch, a Caucasian blonde, rather than Johnson, a Black woman
.[/quote]

[quote][url=http://thunderbay.indymedia.org/news/2003/11/10224_comment.php]Shot through both legs and held prisoner in Iraq for 22 days, Army Spec. Shoshana Johnson returned home in the spring to a difficult convalescence that lacked the media fury and official hype that attended her friend and comrade in arms, Jessica Lynch. Depressed, scarred, haunted by the trauma of her captivity and at times unable to sleep, Johnson walks with a limp and has difficulty standing for long, according to her parents.
And now that Johnson is on the verge of her discharge from the Army, insult is being added to her injury, they say. While Lynch was discharged as a private first class in August with an 80 percent disability benefit, Johnson, set to leave in the coming days, learned last week that she will receive a 30 percent disability benefit from the Army for her injuries.

The difference, which amounts to $600 or $700 a month in payments, has infuriated Johnson and her family. They have enlisted Jesse L. Jackson’s help to make their case to the news media, accusing the Army of a double standard, insensitivity and racism. Lynch is white; Johnson is black.

“Race clearly is a factor,” said Jackson, who added that he will take up Johnson’s cause with the White House, the Pentagon and members of Congress. “Here’s a case of two women, same [unit], same war; everything about their service commitment and their risk is equal. . . . Yet there’s an enormous contrast between how the military has handled these two cases.”

Calls to the Army press office in Washington were not returned Thursday.

Claude Johnson, Shoshana Johnson’s father and himself an Army veteran, said his family and Shoshana do not begrudge Lynch her celebrity or her disability payments. But he said he believes his daughter should also get what she is due. He noted that the Army owes her more than the 30 percent disability benefit, which he said would translate into 30 percent of her base monthly pay of about $1,500, or about $500[/url]. [/quote]

[quote][url=Military Benefits News and Resources]VA Disability Compensation
Application Process:
You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation Or Pension. If you have any of the following material, attach it to your application:
Dependency records (marriage & children’s birth certificates)

Medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports)

You can also apply on line through the VONAPP website.

For More Information Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000[/url].[/quote]

The above is obviously from an ad some group of lawyers put out to draw in vets and more business. I tried looking on the VA website for the criteria on disability, but couldn’t find anything useful. I have talked to my brother who is an Army Doctor (just returned safely from a tour in Iraq - YEAH! :rainbow: ), and he confirms that disability is based on the medical evidence of injuries sustained due to military service. I can only assume that the 80% versus 30% in the Lynch and Johnson cases reflects judgment based on medical criteria NOT RACE.

Bodo

[quote="Namahottie]
Via the press/media is what I am saying[/quote]
I still don’t understand what you mean here, seriously. How is the press showing the U.S. is still segregated? And, is that what you’re saying that there is still segregation in the U.S.? Where?

Providing some examples might help me get there, though.

[quote]Main Entry: seg·re·ga·tion
Pronunciation: "se-gri-'gA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : the act or process of segregating : the state of being segregated
2 a : the separation or isolation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area, by barriers to social intercourse, by separate educational facilities, or by other discriminatory means b : the separation for special treatment or observation of individuals or items from a larger group
3 : the separation of allelic genes that occurs typically during meiosis
[/quote]

Bodo

I was in the military and had women working for me. I would like to make a couple of points that applied throughout the service:

1. Because females, as a rule, are smaller and weaker than males, it usually took two females to do the work of one male about 50% of the time in the line of work I was in (munitions). This translates into more manhours per job , but I wasn’t authorized any extra personnel to make up the difference. This also meant the DOD was paying double for the work equivelent of one male. This also meant the males had to work longer hours to get the work done. A lose/lose situation.

2. My personnel problems increased 10 fold. Competition of males for the females attention, males doing females favors, females playing the males off of each other, overcoming the psychological damage to rejected males, spousal jealousy, etc etc

3. Like it or not, females are much more subject to sexual abuse if they became POW’s.

4. I could probably think of another 10, but I’m already tired of this subject after having to deal with it over a period of 20 years in my past life.

My conclusion after personal experience with this subject: :raspberry: Its just not worth it.

Opps Thanks Bodo. I stand corrected on the injuries. Thanks for the information. Now pass the salt, my foot needs a little flava. :laughing:

As for the media, there’s plenty of bias in it when it comes to covering stories relating to race. You can just lump that fact in with the whole realm of racism and all that stuff.

Every person has a role.

There was a study done (can’t remember where and I have no link) that women who are in absolute life threatening danger want sex - this could hamper decision making. It’s a natural instinct apparently. This was applied to consider the value of having women in infantry divisions on the front line and the affects of this thereof.
Sounds rediculous now as I repeat it, but what I read (or saw) made alot of sense at the time.

Women seem to be much better at logical and organisational roles like Air Traffic Control, systems operators and, dare I say, as pilots.

Every person has a role.

There was a study done (can’t remember where and I have no link) that women who are in absolute life threatening danger want sex - this could hamper decision making. It’s a natural instinct apparently. This was applied to consider the value of having women in infantry divisions on the front line and the affects of this thereof.
Sounds rediculous now as I repeat it, but what I read (or saw) made alot of sense at the time.

Women seem to be much better at logical and organisational roles like Air Traffic Control, systems operators and, dare I say, as pilots.[/quote]

So, all the current reports of rape in the military are just actually consensal but in the light of day, the women may say otherwise?