Show us your bike(s) [as in bicycles]

Still don’t understand how a photographer taking my picture on Fengguizui will make any money :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:
Don’t wear any fashionable outfits either.

The photographers on FGZ could be there for multiple reasons, we won’t know until we ask them. However, it’s safe to assume they could be professionals honing their skills for other projects or just there because it’s a hobby.

This guy 微笑客棧, for example is there because he enjoys it and likes taking pictures of people smiling and enjoying their hobbies. I’ve hired him for a very specific shoot for an event and he refused to take any pay. May sound a bit ridiculous, but it’s just that simple.

The photographers that are hired by apparel brands or shops are out there, but tend to not to take pics of anyone that is not out on the ride they are getting paid to document. If they do snap a pic of you and upload it somewhere, good luck finding it :laughing:

1 Like

Dropbar MTB repaint Salted Duck Egg blue.

ezgif.com-gif-maker

4 Likes

Repaint 406 Minivelo colorshift Black Cherry.

1 Like

That is a good colour, Ford: Maraschino cherry?

I’m nut sure how clear the gif is. I can’t post a video here. It’s a custom colour with a black / cherry shift and silver splashes…

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: For Sale: Ultegra R8000 Mechanical Group Set

Before

After

5 Likes

Before

After

2 Likes

Did you run into a whole stack of money?

Nice upgrades in both cases!

Haha. No. I’ve been accumulating stuff for years, but it’s only been in the last couple of months that I’ve had any time to work on my own stuff.

1 Like

Do the drop handlebars not interfere with the folding function at all? Must be slightly less space efficient I would have thought?

Looks class though :ok_hand:

Drop bars on a folding bike are totally useless.
The fold is not good at all.
I wanted to be able to take that “stem” and bars off as a unit, fold the frame in half and remove the other bits to fit it in a suitcase.

In the summers of 1995, 97, 99 – over three trips and 6 months – I rode a second-hand Miyata 210 around China, 16 mostly western provinces plus Xinjiang and twice to Tibet, which was still open back then… I later replaced it with a Koga-Miyata touring frame for a ride around Ukraine, Switzerland and Italy in 2001, since lost… Miss that Koga, with its long wheel-base, it was perfect and so smooth for trekking…

5008m01

12 Likes

I bought an old second-hand Giant ATX 26er in Cambodia around 2015 for 150 bucks. All the parts were done – corroded and worn out. Even so, I rode it around Laos before rebuilding.

The aircraft aluminum frame is perfectly sound. I simply sanded off all the paint by hand and refinished with 2K paint, including lovely chameleon pigments plus clear on top…

I have ridden this bike all over Asia, including Kathmandu, Nepal to Leh, Ladakh, India; around South Korea; around Sri Lanka; and the islands of Indonesia: Lombok, Sumbawa, Flores and a boat to Timor. I must say, an aluminum 26er is perfect for touring because it is so light, and I never carry more than 10 kilos of stuff, all on the back except for my tent on the front…

The original crapper ATX…

Sanding the frame clean…

Special undercoat for aluminum, painting step one…

Base undercoat of 2K matte white, step two…

Crimson-pink color base coat, step three…

First coats of chameleon pigment mixed with 2K clear – a total of 6 or 7 coats, step four…

Final build…

The chameleon paint is amazing…

Just last summer at the beach here in Cambodia. With a new titanium rack, and before I got around to shortening the new chain, lol…

Painting tip: remember to water-sand each fresh coat of 2K a few minutes with super-fine black paper before applying the next coat to end up with a mirror finish… (Forgot: last step is to use paint polishing compound. It’s a lot like car paint wax, but with very fine grit that smoothes out the final surface and makes the mirror shine. But you must wash off the compound after buffing because the paint needs 3 weeks or a month to breathe and cure properly. Then you can use regular wax on it.)

This bike still looks as new as the day I finished it in 2015, even after several thousands of kilometres touring… Enjoy…

12 Likes

My Cannondale F5 Mountain Bike. Dusted it off when the pandemic started and ride the trails here in North Carolina at least twice a week.
It’s a 2007 model and I changed out all the components last year to Shimano XT (1-11).
Gonna miss this thing when I make it over to Taiwan…

3 Likes

Bought the exact same ATX in TW in 1997, and rode her all over Taiwan in a time when biking here was not that popular … times changed.
My first bike here, didn’t know much specifics that time.
Still have that exact same bike, although upgraded with new wheels, 1inch slicks, Deore 9-speed drivetrain (trickled down from my other MTB), and some other stuff.
Although she is a bit heavy, there are still days I prefer to ride this one over any of the other bikes I have.

2 Likes

You mean in a time biking wasn’t a fancy and expensive activity.

It still isn’t if you don’t want to.

I love a bare alloy frame.

Speaking of Giant and a HUGE part of the industry in Taiwan, RIP Mr. Mike Burrows :pray:

3 Likes