Shrimp paste, galangal, tamarind paste, lemongrass?

I am looking for SE Asian style shrimp paste (blachang or similar product), galangal, tamarind paste, and lemongrass.

Any foodies and/ or SE Asians out here know where I can pick these up?

Cheers in advance!

I order from these guys

foodtown.com.tw/?action=prod … f0af487dd5

Huaxin street in Zhongho, get off at the Nanshijiao MRT stattion. They should have everything. If you can read Chinese go to the Golden Peacock and get the tea leaf salad.

Yeah, definitely Huaxin St. (Little Burma) for all your Southeast Asian grocery needs.

also the small indonesian/Thai store in between Taipei Main Station East Gate (where the buses stop) and Zhongshan Road.

it’s parallel to the one way access road that cabs and buses come in on, on a slightly lower side walk.

Just one thing:shrimp paste is really bad for you so use sparingly.

Really? Didn’t know that. How so?

[quote=“BigJohn”]I am looking for SE Asian style shrimp paste (blachang or similar product), galangal, tamarind paste, and lemongrass.

Cheers in advance![/quote]

Where are you located? There are several places around the greater Taipei area where you can buy those items.

See this thread

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 8&t=114962

[quote=“neesh”][quote=“BigJohn”]I am looking for SE Asian style shrimp paste (blachang or similar product), galangal, tamarind paste, and lemongrass.

Where are you located? There are several places around the greater Taipei area where you can buy those items.[/quote]

I’m in Dansshui, although I travel downtown quite often.

Can’t stand shrimp paste but the other three ingredients are awesome. I’ll never forget the first time I tried Galangal. Lemongrass turns up occasionally in supermarkets.

I wouldn’t do a shrimp paste milkshake, but a tiny bit in a spicy gravy adds an interesting dimension, kind of like fish sauce.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“neesh”][quote=“BigJohn”]I am looking for SE Asian style shrimp paste (blachang or similar product), galangal, tamarind paste, and lemongrass.

Where are you located? There are several places around the greater Taipei area where you can buy those items.[/quote]

I’m in Dansshui, although I travel downtown quite often.[/quote]

There is a southeast asian grocery store in Tamsui somewhere south of Tamkang University and north of the Tamsui MRT stop. I know that’s a horrible description, but I honestly don’t have the address. I’ve been in it a few times while walking around, but don’t really remember the location.

Lemongrass I’ve seen in some traditional morning markets, but you have to ask for it.

Also below is a post from another thread

[quote=“nonredneck”]See this thread

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 8&t=114962[/quote]

This one as well:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … &p=1561270

There are small Indonesian/Vietnamese-wife run shops all over now by the way, shrimp paste is dead easy to find, many have some form of tamarind, lemongrass (called xiangmao in Chinese) not too hard, but fresh galangal can be pretty tough–hence my ordering from the people I linked to. Trinity Indian has had frozen stuff in the past. Fresh turmeric pretty easy to get now as it’s become a fashionable health item and there are stalls selling it that move around different markets. These people may have galangal too.

Downstairs in SOGO near the Zhishan MRT has all of those things. Hope this helps!

Thanks to all for their very helpful suggestions! :bow: