Signature

Hi,

I’m having trouble loading a signature. It reads:

“Outside of society. That’s where I want to be.”
Patti Smith - Rock N Roll Nigger

I can’t find any rule precluding this message, and I wonder if there could be some other problem.
Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Infidel

[quote]
Hi,

I’m having trouble loading a signature. It reads:

Patti Smith - Rock N Roll Nigger

I can’t find any rule precluding this message, and I wonder if there could be some other problem.
Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Infidel

Patti Smith - Rock N Roll person of a minority group[/quote]

Sometimes it takes a while to appear.The same thing happens now and then with new avatars.

[quote=“Rasputin”]
Sometimes it takes a while to appear.The same thing happens now and then with new avatars.[/quote]

Well, it’s visible now, but seems to have been censored!

WTF?

hi Infidel

Is it asking so much of you that you do not use this word? There is so much baggage attached to it, that even though it is the name of a popular song, some of us are offended by it.

What do you lose by simply shortening the by line to “Patti Smith” and making it a link to lyric page: here’s one you can use

If this really bothers you that much, give me a call 0952 948975 and we can talk about it over the phone

gus.

[quote=“Goose Egg”]hi Infidel

Is it asking so much of you that you do not use this word? There is so much baggage attached to it, that even though it is the name of a popular song, some of us are offended by it.

What do you lose by simply shortening the by line to “Patti Smith” and making it a link to lyric page: here’s one you can use

If this really bothers you that much, give me a call 0952 948975 and we can talk about it over the phone

gus.[/quote]

I rather think that provoking debate was Ms Smith’s intention at the time, and surely you’re aware of the irony of your censorship in this instance.
I mean, “Person of a minority group” dilutes the message somewhat, doesn’t it?

I’m curious to know whether other posters find this word as offensive as you, given the context in which I’m using it here.

Fair enough. But I do not believe we are in that time nor is this (Forumosa circa 2006) the same context.

But just to satisfy your curiosity, in the few hours since this discussion started, I have received a complaint. Which means I am not the only person offended by the word.

[quote=“Infidel”]
I rather think that provoking debate was Ms Smith’s intention at the time, and surely you’re aware of the irony of your censorship in this instance.
I mean, “Person of a minority group” dilutes the message somewhat, doesn’t it?

I’m curious to know whether other posters find this word as offensive as you, given the context in which I’m using it here.[/quote]

You have to consider that people are going to go ape-shit upon seeing that word. There are even jurisdictions seeking to ban the book To Kill A Mockingbird because that word appears within its pages.

Obviously, there is no room for context in minds so full of self-righteousness.

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Fair enough. But I do not believe we are in that time nor is this (Forumosa circa 2006) the same context.

But just to satisfy your curiosity, in the few hours since this discussion started, I have received a complaint. Which means I am not the only person offended by the word.[/quote]

One complaint? Hardly a groundswell of negative opinion, is it?

Will you please reconsider your censorship of the word “nigger” in my signature?

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]
You have to consider that people are going to go ape-shit upon seeing that word. There are even jurisdictions seeking to ban the book To Kill A Mockingbird because that word appears within its pages.

Obviously, there is no room for context in minds so full of self-righteousness.[/quote]

I have considered the possible reaction, but hopefully anyone who sees my signature (if they ever see it as I wrote it) will be rational and mature enough to either accept it in the way it was intended, or - if they don’t like it - raise it as a topic of discussion on this forum.

This is a discussion forum, isn’t it?

Meanwhile, my signature remains censored. Charming.

By the way, my signiture is in a different language. How do you know it is kosher?

Surely if it’s the actual name of something, censoring it is a little… odd. Although I am also of the opinion that anyone who gets that worked up over dots on a computer screen needs to chill, so…

[quote=“Infidel”]
hopefully anyone who sees my signature (if they ever see it as I wrote it) will be rational and mature enough to either accept it in the way it was intended, or - if they don’t like it - raise it as a topic of discussion on this forum.

This is a discussion forum, isn’t it?

Meanwhile, my signature remains censored. Charming.[/quote]

Political correctness is the antithesis of rational, mature discussion. Its sole purpose is to control thoughts by elminating the means to express them.

For the record, I edited my signature myself (with the help of another poster).
If anyone objects, please don’t blame Admin.

[quote=“Infidel”]For the record, I edited my signature myself (with the help of another poster).
If anyone objects, please don’t blame Admin.[/quote]
OK, Infidel, you win - I’m not going to obliterate your signature, I’ll just let things stand

It seems silly to me to argue further* when it looks like we are both on the same side towards racism to begin with.

However, I have to wonder why you would keep your sig the way you have when (1) you know it bothers people and (2) I’ve presented you with an alternative. Whatever the case, I guess this is what makes us different - and that’s fine by me

Someone asked how we can block out slurs in other languages. Well, there is code for that, too, (yes, the original author of this software bothered to catalog every single term in every language - and that feature is an “open” list - so that new terms can be added to it going forward) but we’d prefer to rely on basic respect for one another - the ol’ “give’em enough rope to hang themselves” approach.

• Besides, with more pressing technical issues affecting the forums, modifying the software now simply to remove your signature is a bit over-the-top even for me

[quote=“Goose Egg”]
OK, Infidel, you win - I’m not going to obliterate your signature, I’ll just let things stand

It seems silly to me to argue further* when it looks like we are both on the same side towards racism to begin with.[/quote]

Goose Egg,
I believe I had a valid point to make about the (IMHO) rather condescending censorship here on Forumosa. As far as racism is concerned, I despise it.

And I have to wonder why you insist on slapping labels such as “Grasshopper” on the poster profiles. OK, they’re linked to post counts, and maybe they’re “cool”, but why not make them voluntary? There have been some good alternative suggestions bandied about recently. If you’re worried about keeping a handle on things (my preference “Just Here For The Sex” might not please some people) why not just dispense with them entirely?

(1) Does it really bother people? How many “squeals” have you received? I haven’t gotten a single negative PM, and I honestly thought that this thread was about to be temped because of overwhelming indifference.
(2) Thank you for presenting me with an “alternative”, but it seemed to be euphemistically telling me to pull my head in.

Fine by me, too. I appreciate your, er, tolerance, and that you’re, um, very busy. But I hope you and Maoman can find the time to address some of the possibly more disagreeable but nonetheless valid “home improvement” suggestions.

Cheers,
Infidel

PS: