Signs of Taiwanese Hoklo and Taiwanese Hakka languages dying

The number of Hakka museums, parks, special areas,festivals is out of control. How many non-Hakka people have the inclination to visit a Hakka museum?[/quote]

the special interest groups will have schools make school trips to the museums, the museums will do just fine.

i thought the only place where Hakka lived these days was in Museums anyway. That’s why there are so many museums.

Do ghettoes count as museums?

You’re thinking of Jews. But they’re both wandering people renowned for being stingy with influence beyond their numbers.

My future children will be super-stingy. :smiley:

It’s service - service with people in mind. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Yup. Gotta make sure those throngs of mono-lingual Hakkas understand where they’re going.

Hakka are the “jewels” of China (you know what I meant) . And known to be shrewd business people. I’ve just discovered (well not really JUST discovered) that I am a little bit hakka. NO wonder I am super tight with a buck? :laughing: I will however promise not to be as tight with YOUR buck though.

That aside. It would be like BART having announcements in English , followed by Spanish , followed by say, Ebonics?

It’s patently ridiculous. Just use MANDARIN and drop everything else. Have English on the self typing signs.

Elect me Mayor already and I will fix that BS.

(even if it costs me a second term)

there was a billionaire on discovery’s stingy show, who would make tuna sandwiches for her guests using cat food, surly that’s a tough feat to beat.

Ahh, I’m confident the Wei brothers, who are also billionaires, can top that.

Ahh, I’m confident the Wei brothers, who are also billionaires, can top that.[/quote]

you are right… and unfortunately Wei happens to be a Hakka from Changhua (from Yongding, Fujien same as my paternal family…) and plays into that stereotype…

I’m saddened about the slow diminution and likely loss of Taiwanese. It doesn’t seem like there is much that can be done on a government level though short of drastically enforcing and mandating the use of Taiwanese at the expense of other languages (similar to what the KMT did in promoting and enforcing Mandarin, and the Japanese colonial administration did regarding the Japanese language).

It just feels that younger people aren’t naturally using Taiwanese in their normal peer-to-peer and formal speech. There is no longer any government mandate that people must use Mandarin or avoid Taiwanese; but Taiwanese people are picking everyday through their speech to continue the primacy of Mandarin and diminution of Taiwanese. I’m guilty of this too. . . I hardly ever speak Taiwanese anymore except with my parents. And I’m not teaching Taiwanese to my son even though both my wife and I speak Taiwanese as equally well (or poorly depending on one’s perspective) as Mandarin.

I think Taiwanese is a lot of fun, and I love how Taiwanese words are seemlessly integrated into and enrich modern Taiwanese Mandarin. I don’t think Taiwanese will go to zero in my lifetime, but I can’t see how it will survive as a real living language until and unless younger people choose to want to speak the language en masse.

I think that if Taiwan is formally annexed by China or if it becomes de jure independent, Taiwanese will play an important role in national identity, even if people aren’t totally fluent in it. See Ireland for an example. (Any input here, headhonchoii?)

[quote=“Zhengzhou2010”]I’m saddened about the slow diminution and likely loss of Taiwanese. It doesn’t seem like there is much that can be done on a government level though short of drastically enforcing and mandating the use of Taiwanese at the expense of other languages (similar to what the KMT did in promoting and enforcing Mandarin, and the Japanese colonial administration did regarding the Japanese language).

It just feels that younger people aren’t naturally using Taiwanese in their normal peer-to-peer and formal speech. There is no longer any government mandate that people must use Mandarin or avoid Taiwanese; but Taiwanese people are picking everyday through their speech to continue the primacy of Mandarin and diminution of Taiwanese. I’m guilty of this too. . . I hardly ever speak Taiwanese anymore except with my parents. And I’m not teaching Taiwanese to my son even though both my wife and I speak Taiwanese as equally well (or poorly depending on one’s perspective) as Mandarin.

I think Taiwanese is a lot of fun, and I love how Taiwanese words are seemlessly integrated into and enrich modern Taiwanese Mandarin. I don’t think Taiwanese will go to zero in my lifetime, but I can’t see how it will survive as a real living language until and unless younger people choose to want to speak the language en masse.[/quote]

There are plenty of things the government can do. For starters, the KMT can stop blocking the National Language Development Bill (國家語言發展法草案), which would make all native languages including Hakka, Holo and Aboriginal languages apart of the National Languag. Resorting back to KMT-like drastic enforcement of the use of Taiwanese would be ridiculously unnessecary. The nation’s laws regarding languages just needs to undo the Mandarin monopoly of taking tests, working in/with/for governments and getting an education.

A recent news on the subject:
news.ltn.com.tw/news/life/paper/823762

During KMT legislator Pan Weigang’s (潘維剛) interpellation of the head of MOE, she stated that native language education “damages ethnic harmony, and it’s a course of action she doesn’t agree with (這會傷害民族情感,我無法認同)” .

She first asked why should MOE do Taiwanese Holo Language Certification. She went on to say the money would be better spent promoting student’s English skills, because English would give students an edge in competitiveness. She then questioned the entire native language education program. The program is called “Mother-tongue Education (母語教學)”, instead of “Native Language Education (本土語言教學).” she said since her mother tongue is Mandarin, why isn’t the MOE doing Mandarin certifications. She went on to say native language education program’s efforts to reverse the damage caused by past authoritarian language policies is damaging to ethnic harmony.

Before she finished, she mentioned how Qin Shihuangdi made the Qin empire stronger by unifying the language. Although, in reality, Qin Shihuangdi only unified the script used for official documents, and the Qin Empire only lasted 14 years.

I’m beginning to think authoritarianism runs in some people’s DNA. Well, that’s another lawmaker’s name to add to my blacklist. (A certain legislator surnamed Tsai sits at the very top.)

This Pan lady is the same legislator who asserted that Korean phone companies are now offering 8G mobile service, and asked the ministry of science and technology official when will Taiwan catch up.

It is really never good when a politician uses Qin Shi Huang as an example to justify their actions.

Isn’t that the one that burned all the books?

What a friggin’ cretin. I don’t think authoritarianism is hereditary, but cretinism definitely is…

[quote=“hansioux”]Taipei’s Metro green line is about to open, and MRT people are having a tough time deciding how to pronounce Taipei Arena Station in Taigi and Hakka.

news.ltn.com.tw/news/life/paper/818867

Apparently, MRT is claiming that there’s no right way of saying 台北小巨蛋 in Taigi and Hakka. However, that’s ridiculous, how hard is it to say Taipei Arena Station in Taigi and Hakka? The obvious choice is that since the name is in Hanji, and both Taigi and Hakka use every single one of those Hanji, they can just read these Hanji as is.

So in Taigi it would be “Tâi-pak Sió Kī-tàn”
in Hakka it would be “Toi11-bed2 seu31 ki24-tan5”

Done, simple as that right? …

[/quote]

臺北アリーナ。 Just pronounced it as 臺北アリーナ.

This is the same rationale as a Taigi speaking person would pronounce Canada as カナダ。

Told you before about the power of Kana. You didn’t believe me.

Mao Ze Dong liked to compare himself to old Qinny

Mao Ze Dong liked to compare himself to old Qinny[/quote]

Qin Shihuang? who the heck is this dude and what does he have to do with Taiwan anyway.