Singapore Grand Prix [F1]

Has anyone of you attended the Singapore GP before? I am planning to go and was wondering if there are any first hand experience out there, since I want to buy tickets and reserve a hotel. What are the best tickets, the Bay Area or the Walkabout? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I was there last year. Amazing!! Just buy the walkabout, they are cheap and you still can scope out some really nice areas to watch the race. I have to sleep, but I can answer any other questions you have tomorrow.

When is it?

25-27 September

Thanks rk1951! the walkabout: is it very crowded? Or is it possible to catch the action? Any big screens in this area? What about accommodation, do you have any recommendations?

25-27 September

Thanks rk1951! the walkabout: is it very crowded? Or is it possible to catch the action? Any big screens in this area? What about accommodation, do you have any recommendations?[/quote]

Yeah I just bought the walkabout tickets, I only paid $4000nt for a 3 day pass and it was well worth it. Actually I couldn’t believe how cheap the tickets were. It would have been nice to have seats, but with the walkabout tickets you can pretty much see 85-90% of the track. If I were going to see the race again, I would probably just get the walkabout tickets again. I paid for the tickets online, gave them my Taiwan address and the tickets came to my house in a week. I found a great spot to watch the race right after corner 8. During the 3 days I was all over the place. There is a place called “The Pading” it is between the Singapore cricket club and the Singapore recreational club. It is this huge open grassy area where you can sit down and watch the race on the big screens. Actually during the race itself I sat there and watched the big screen so I would know what was going on. It was amazing watching the race with the cars all around you. You can rent these portable F1 mini televisions (they are a little pricey), but that way you can set up shop somewhere on the track and still know what it going on with the race. Plus you can scroll through any driver and watch their POV video feed. I should have done that. I think it was only about $100 US to rent one for the weekend.

I don’t know if you have ever been to Singapore, but it isn’t cheap. I was lucky enough to stay with my friend who lives there. I am sure all the hotels jack up the prices just for the race. So you better get on accommodation now. Just a 500cc beer cost about $8 US. It was brutal. The merchandise is pretty expensive too. Usually a shirt or jersey will cost $35-50 US. I was really impressed with Singapore and how they set the whole venue up. It was really organized. They have a huge international selection of food. They pretty much cover all the main ethnic food groups. I wish I could go back again this year, it was such a blast. If you have never been to an F1 race before you are going to be blown away by the cars. When they pass you they will actually send shivers down your spine, followed by goose bumps. You will need ear plugs too……trust me. They sell these “F1 survival kits” that include ear plugs and a cheap rain coat for like $2 US. You will want to pick one of those up. Plus they are good cheap souvenirs to give to friends… They sell them everywhere there for cheap. Start saving money now, because you will need it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks mate!

Appreciate the info! Booked the flight and hotel, now to just get the tickets and the ear plugs!

Is this one going to have all the big name guys in it?

That’s actually a normal beer price.

Uh, it is F1, are there any “small name guys” in it? You don’t follow F1 do you?

Hi guys,

Just to add a little, this year due to the recession things are much much cheaper, in fact the hotels basically shot themselves in the foot last year by imposing sky high rates and minimum stays, but this year they are definately sweating and rates for hotels are much lower. If you can wait or like to gamble a little wait till a week before and call around for rates, I am pretty sure there would still be plenty of rooms left, blame it on the recession…drinks wise a beer like corona should cost about S$10-11 get some from 7-11 a 1 liter tiger beer for about 5 dollars sing, pubs wise look for happy hours also depending on whats your poison.

Cheers
John, Singapore

Uh, it is F1, are there any “small name guys” in it? You don’t follow F1 do you?[/quote]

true…but there’s a threat of half the teams breaking off and forming their own league next year! so while this year everyone should be there, it’s no guarantee for next year!

Uh, it is F1, are there any “small name guys” in it? You don’t follow F1 do you?[/quote]

true…but there’s a threat of half the teams breaking off and forming their own league next year! so while this year everyone should be there, it’s no guarantee for next year![/quote]
true… but it might even be better next year…

now it seems that Mosley and FOTA reached a deal… Quite suddenly i might add. Was kind of looking forward to a fresh perspecitive on the sport without too many limitations and politics…

now it seems that Mosley and FOTA reached a deal… Quite suddenly I might add. Was kind of looking forward to a fresh perspecitive on the sport without too many limitations and politics…[/quote]

IMO it was inevitable that that was going to happen. No way in hell would there be a break-away league. Too much money is at stake.

yeah looks like mosley got ousted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/24/breaking-f1-reunites-as-max-mosely-reportedly-forced-to-quit-f1/

HOTELIERS here are dangling yet another carrot this year to get people to book their rooms early for the second run of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix night race, which is taking place from Sept 25 to 29.

Race organiser Singapore GP has got 29 non-trackside hotels to agree to offer a “Best Rate Guarantee” for the early birds who book in advance. This scheme ensures that the early bird customers do not lose out should hotel room prices fall further closer to the race day.

Last year, during the first run of the race, hoteliers initially priced their rooms very high, leading to poor demand for the rooms. As the rooms remained empty in the weeks leading up to the race, hotels started massive discounting in a last-minute attempt to attract more customers. That led to a situation where those who booked early ended up having to pay higher prices than those who came last minute.

To prevent the same situation from happening again this year and to get people to book now instead of waiting for better deals to materialise, the hotels have come up with such a plan.

Singapore GP said in a statement on Tuesday that the Best Rate Guarantee initiative was a “result of feedback from corporate and general ticket-holders” who were unhappy at being penalised for having to pay a high rate for booking early.

Its chairman Teo Hock Seng called the scheme a “win-win solution” for participating hotels and customers and expects more hotels to join in the coming weeks.

He said: “Hotels will be able to manage their inventory better with early confirmations, while visitors who want to come here to watch the race will also have a greater degree of confidence, instead of having to wait and see whether there will be any last minute price deals.”

Hotels across the board are having a difficult time this year with dwindling tourist arrivals as a result of the global economic recession and the global outbreak of H1N1. And the bookings for F1 race dates are trickling in rather slowly despite early bird offers which offer massive discounts on last year’s prices.

For more information on the list of participating hotels, go to www.visitsingapore.com/sgpseason/hotel_rates.html

Amazing!

I have a distant cousin in Taiwan who watches car racing. I told him that in America, it’s mostly uneducated people who watch that stuff. He said he watched F1, not NASCAR. I didn’t know the difference.

A little too late for Sebastian Vettel.