SINN FEIN holds NI in 2024 election

Seems a hold in NI, is it good news for a one Ireland?

Interesting week, next up round two in France.

Wow

The comedy side stage to the UK elections. I’m just glad that Sinn Fein don’t look like getting voted in in the ROI any time soon. They are bad, real bad.

1 Like

This is interesting news, things are changing.

Presumably it was the free holidays to Sri Lanka and associated parliament suspension that did that for Ian Paisley Jr.

Former DUP party Leader Jeffery Donaldson is going to trial now too

Looks somewhat reminiscent of the clerical abuse / BBC sex scandal type of story. Probably not surprising that that would not exactly boost the voter appeal there.

1 Like

It’s not very relevant at this stage really in terms of united Ireland . More important locally in NI.

1 Like

well in near future, will NI be part of EU or UK? since UK seems will not enter the EU soon.

Do you mean history, or what they would be likely to do now, or both?

1 Like

It has a unique status . It’s not part of the EU but they have an open border and a trade deal with the EU. Also people in NI are already entitled.to hold two citizenships.

1 Like

Both. You are talking star wars dark side of the force here.

1 Like

What would they be likely to do now?

1 Like

But they also have an open border with (because they are part of) a nation that isn’t part of the EU, which essentially gives that nation an open door to the EU through their territory with none of the obligations of being part of the EU. It doesn’t help that the UK has a centuries-old history of bullying them. I don’t know what public opinion in NI is about this (though electing SF would seem to be an indicator), but it’s not hard to imagine them having a problem with it.

You’d think if the Brits could give HK back to China they could give Ireland back to…Ireland.

Even I as an Irish nationalist would say it’s more complicated than that but as Paul McCartney said…

1 Like

Hopefully we don’t find out. Their party structure includes retired terrorists and what not.

1 Like