Sleep Problem

Sorry to be a bore on this. I’ll try a different tack. Can anyone tell me the Mandarin for “melatonin”?

Thanks in advance.

退黑激素

Tui4 Hei1 Ji1 Su4

My SO has had sleep trouble for years. We have a regular lifestyle, eat well, have a good matress etc. Nothing seems to help him and I’m now not sleeping so well because of it.

Does anyone know of some sleep drs/clinics in Taipei? :help:

Humming helps. Hum Psalm 23 according to the Hebrew tune. It’s no joke.

Psalm 23 in Hebrew

Or listen to Psalm 23 being recited.

The blue objects in the image are called inferior turbinates. Just above them are two more, the middle turbinates. The function of these objects is to warm and moisten the air you breathe. They are essentially very thin bony projections from the skull that are covered with very vascular soft tissue (lots of blood vessels and blood = warmth and moisture). In some folks, the turbs are too meaty and they take up too much room in the nasal passageway causing turbulence or snoring. A otolaryngologist (or ear, nose, and throat surgeon) can put you under, and then either cut a sliver of the turbinate out to thin it or insert an electric cautery instrument into the tissue and burn the fat in thereby shrinking it. It’s not a painful surgery and recovery is quite fast - days.

Bodo

[quote]What habits promote a good night’s sleep?
Good sleep habits can help you get a good night’s sleep. For example:

Try to go to sleep at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning. Try not to take naps during the day because naps may make you less sleepy at night.

Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol late in the day. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and can keep you from falling asleep. Alcohol can cause waking in the night and interferes with sleep quality.

Get regular exercise. Try not to exercise close to bedtime because it may stimulate you and make it hard to fall asleep. Experts suggest not exercising for 3 hours before the time you go to sleep.

Don’t eat a heavy meal late in the day. A light snack before bedtime, however, may help you sleep.

Make your sleeping place comfortable. Be sure that it is dark, quiet, and not too warm or too cold. If light is a problem, try a sleeping mask. If noise is a problem, try earplugs, a fan, or a “white noise” machine to cover up the sounds.

Follow a routine to help relax and wind down before sleep, such as reading a book, listening to music, or taking a bath.

Avoid using your bed for anything other than sleep or sex.

If you can’t fall asleep and don’t feel drowsy, get up and read or do something that is not overly stimulating until you feel sleepy.

If you have trouble lying awake worrying about things, try making a to-do list before you go to bed. This may help you to “let go” of those worries overnight.

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/insomnia.htm[/quote]

Some suggestions above. I agree with many of the posters who say that pills are a short term rather than a long term solution to insomnia. They treat the symptom rather than the underlying problem.

Bodo

Alot of the problems assiociated with sleeping disorders can be found in excessive drugs usage, drinking or mental health. Each one of you should evaluate yourself accordingly. Sleeping pills are not the answer. Good rest can be achieved through daily excercise and the ability to let things go.

Bobo, I agree with you 100%.

[quote]
Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What are the cardinal symptoms?Fatigue and tiredness during the day.
Loud snoring; if the loud snoring is repeatedly punctuated by brief periods of silence or choking sounds, the individual is certain to have obstructive sleep apnea.
Other common features are:
Obesity
Small jaw, thick neck
High blood pressure
Restless sleep; the repeated struggle to breath can be associated with a great deal of movement.
Depressed mood and/or irritability
Reduced sex drive and impotence
Snorting, gasping, choking during sleep
Not as commonly reported but may be present:
Feeling that sleep is strangely unrefreshing
Difficulty concentrating
A dry mouth upon awakening
Excessive perspiration during sleep
Heartburn
Rapid weight gain
Morning headaches
Change in personality
Memory lapses
Intellectual deterioration
Frequent nocturnal urination (nocturia)
Confusion and severe grogginess upon awakening
Specially in young children, large tonsils and adenoids. There may be chest retraction during sleep (the sternum and the spaces between ribs pull unnaturally inward when trying to inhale)
[/quote]

Some folks have Obstructive Sleep Apnea as the primary cause of their sleep troubles. It can be treated with a machine that you wear over your nose during sleep which forces air into your airway and keeps it open while you sleep. If this fails, then there is surgery where the surgeon removes part of your soft palate, your uvula and if you have tonsils they get taken out also. There are other non-surgical options too. For a start you may want to check out these URLs:
http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.net/osa/
http://www.aafp.org/afp/991115ap/2279.html

This is a normal airway

This shows how the structures in the throat can collapse and obstruct the airway. The soft palate, tongue, and uvula fall back against the throat & epiglottis and block them which in turn block the airway to the lungs. A CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) forces the uvula, soft palate, and tongue up and away from the throat/airway, and keeps it open for air to pass unobstructed.

Bodo

Once I tried melatonin and it caused my whole body to ache. Has anybody else had a siimilar reaction?