Sleep sacks

Our daughter (a little over 3 years old) throws her blanket off each night. She usually sleeps with us, so we are on alert to this and wake up a couple of times a night to find here with no blanket on. I have been woken up a couple of times by being kicked or punched in the face, as she tends to roll around the bed at night.

She runs hot and does not mind the cold (too much), but these past nights have been cold, and sleeping in the cold (maybe at 16-20C) in between having a blanket on (when we wake up to cover her up again) seems not too good to me

I have searched in the internet and found what are called sleep sacks. Heres the website of one such company
littlebigfoot.com/faq.htm

The seem to serve two functions

1. Keep the kid warm and snug by removing the blanket and encasing the kids body in a sleeping bag type sack
  2. Restrict movement so reducing the rolling around

Has anyone every seen these in Taiwan? Else do you know where to buy in Taiwan?

Wow, interesting. Our daughter (one year old) is the same (our son was too, but now, aged almost 3 years, he seems to accept blankets a bit more). I was thinking about how it has suddenly got colder the last couple of days and worry a little for my daughter.

Anyway, that product you linked to only seems suitable for up to 24 months, Did you notice that?

I went camping once and had something like that. I forgot what they called it.
My son is almost 5 now and still kicks off his covers. I noticed he didn’t last night though. It was cold.

We have the same problem with our one year old daughter. We compensate by putting a heater in her room.

[quote=“irishstu”]Wow, interesting. Our daughter (one year old) is the same (our son was too, but now, aged almost 3 years, he seems to accept blankets a bit more). I was thinking about how it has suddenly got colder the last couple of days and worry a little for my daughter.

Anyway, that product you linked to only seems suitable for up to 24 months, Did you notice that?[/quote]

Sorry did not notice

But I have found on the (EDIT -not the COMBI website but www.boohoobaby.ie) a sack for 1-4 years old, as well as a sack for Birth-1 year old.
boohoobaby.ie/prod_show.asp?id=687

So it seems they are available for a range of ages

I never thought of such a device until googling the internet today found some articles re: kids throwing off their blankets (it seems a common practice for kids)

Every kindergarden here have sleeping bags for their kids when they take their naps after lunch time. Some of these bags are really thick and hot, you can find them almost anywhere.
This will solve the problem easily.
My son was and is still like this. His body has always been really hot and his tolerance for cold is much higher than mine. On winters day, I forced him to be in a sleeping bag a few times only to find him totally wet in the morning because of sweating. So, after a few days I stop doing it.

They have sleep sacks at baby stores such as Chicco or Les Enphants. If you go to the kids floor of any department store you’ll be able to find them. I paid about 1500 for one which is a little expensive but I never need to worry about the kids freezing plus I dress them in PJs with feet this time of year because they’re always losing their socks as well.

We have a 14-month old boy who normally kicks the bed-covers off several time a night. We began using a fleece sleeping sack that was meant for a slightly smaller child about five days ago when the weather became much cooler. It has sleeves like a regular piece of clothing and we can half-undo a zip to allow his feet to poke out the bottom. It has worked brilliantly. In the past, if the weather was cold he would kick off the covers and wake up cold several times a night. With the sack on he sleeps straight through! His mum likes it a lot. It was given to us but it has the Les Enphants brand name on it.

I don’t have any kids of my own, but it seems logical to me that kids are smart enough to know if they’re too hot or too cold right?

Of course they know but when they’re sleeping they accidently kick of the covers then wake up screaming when they’re cold. I don’t know about you but there is only so many times I want to be woken up every night!

My wife takes all the covers and wraps up like a mummy. I am left to freeze in the breeze.

Can I put her in a sleep sack?

Thanks will take a look

My mom used to roll us up in a blanket, and then tie an elastic cord (the thick kind you would use in an elastic waistband) around the waist.

My blanket remained on me, even if I woke up in the opposite direction from which I went to sleep in.

My mom used to tuck us in with a nail gun. And if we got out, our dad would slash us to sleep with his belt–If we were lucky.

As others have pointed out, no, apparently not. Our girl (4 yo) also throws off the covers at night and is then cold, so she wakes my wife who has to wrap the blanket around her again. I’m on the far side of the bed, faking being asleep and oblivious to her calls, heh, heh. As a baby she got all swaddled up and tied with a string (according to standard Taiwan practice), but when they get older they wouldn’t stand for that.

Dr. McCoy: Luxury. You had it easy. What we wouldn’t have given to be tucked in with a nail gun… wistful sigh We used to have to pound the nails in each night with our bare hands, and then remove them in the morning with our teeth. And that was if we were lucky! But you tell the young people of today that, and they don’t believe you… :s

TNT: Unfortunately I can’t help with a concrete suggestion about where to get one in Taiwan (we got ours as a gift), but I can add my name to the list of people on this thread who have found the sleeping sack to be very useful. Our one year old boy is an aggressive blanket-kicker, and the little sleeping bag we have for him is now a key part of his bedtime routine.

We have actually removed the stitching at the bottom of the sack that he sleeps in (partly because we worried it would get too hot for him when it wasn’t as cold out as it is now, and partly because as he got older he came to absolutely hate the thing until we made the modification) and he can now actually walk/waddle around a bit with it on, but it is still a huge help in keeping him warm at night when he starts kicking about.

Also, once he’s wearing it, he knows that bedtime preparations have truly begun. It’s something of a signal in that way. And the first thing he says in the morning when I get him up is “tuo shui dai!”(sp?) , to indicate that I should take off the sleeping bag and let him free to start running around and enjoying the new day. We still put an extra blanket on top of him after he falls asleep (or more than one when it gets really cold), but the sleeping bag provides some comfort that he will have a basic level of warmth no matter what, and also seems to prevent him from wriggling out from the blankets that are placed over-top quite so much.

In short, I’m a big fan. I really don’t think you will be disappointed if you get yourself one of these things. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

H

If your child is getting too big for the sack, simply cut two leg holes at the bottom and put socks on them.

Dr. McCoy: Luxury. You had it easy. What we wouldn’t have given to be tucked in with a nail gun… wistful sigh We used to have to pound the nails in each night with our bare hands, and then remove them in the morning with our teeth. And that was if we were lucky! But you tell the young people of today that, and they don’t believe you… :s

TNT: Unfortunately I can’t help with a concrete suggestion about where to get one in Taiwan (we got ours as a gift), but I can add my name to the list of people on this thread who have found the sleeping sack to be very useful. Our one year old boy is an aggressive blanket-kicker, and the little sleeping bag we have for him is now a key part of his bedtime routine.

We have actually removed the stitching at the bottom of the sack that he sleeps in (partly because we worried it would get too hot for him when it wasn’t as cold out as it is now, and partly because as he got older he came to absolutely hate the thing until we made the modification) and he can now actually walk/waddle around a bit with it on, but it is still a huge help in keeping him warm at night when he starts kicking about.

Also, once he’s wearing it, he knows that bedtime preparations have truly begun. It’s something of a signal in that way. And the first thing he says in the morning when I get him up is “tuo shui dai!”(sp?) , to indicate that I should take off the sleeping bag and let him free to start running around and enjoying the new day. We still put an extra blanket on top of him after he falls asleep (or more than one when it gets really cold), but the sleeping bag provides some comfort that he will have a basic level of warmth no matter what, and also seems to prevent him from wriggling out from the blankets that are placed over-top quite so much.

In short, I’m a big fan. I really don’t think you will be disappointed if you get yourself one of these things. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

H[/quote]

Now all I got to do is convince the wife to buy one. She has started to wrap our daughter up in a blanket which she discovered on some baby website when looking at the sleeping sacks. It seems to work except on Friday night I got a kick in the nuts at about 2 in the morning. So while the blanket seems to keep her warm, I may have to use the nail gun to tie her down under the blanket, else just go out an buy a sleeping sack

My wife told my daughter of what happened… to which her response was maybe daddy should sleep in the other bed in the other room. Maybe its time to evict her from our bed into her nice expensive IKEA bed that she has slept only a couple of times (and the sleeping sack should keep her warm in her own bed)

My daughter, almost 2, sleeps in a sleep sack every night since she rolls all over the place and kicks off blankets right away. We have thick and light ones for different seasons. The Grobags are expensive but really nice. gro-group.co.uk/grobag/brand … epingbags/
Another brand is called Magic Cube. tw.f3.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/c33531131.
They are much cheaper than Grobags and available on Taiwan’s Yahoo auctions.

We recently bought a standard “kindergarten sleeping bag” at a bedding shop for the really cold nights. You can pretty much find them anywhere–traditional markets, bedding stores, or even Carrefour. The sleep sacks at places like Les Enphant are really nice and much prettier than the ones you’ll find in the markets but will cost twice as much.

I suppose all this talk about sleeping sacks, kids throwing/kicking off their blankets , and the supposed horrible consequences of such might have some real meaning in places like Alaska or Manitoba.
But if the child is over a year old, there’s not much to worry about here in Taiwan, provided:

1. One of the parents is responsible enough to periodically get up & check on status of coverings. You wanted to have kids, right? You signed any & all sleeping priviledges away right there & then. Now get back out on the perimeter!
  2. Use a two blanket system. One light and breathable underneath, and a thicker quilt type on top.
  3. Use fabric that breathes, such as cotton, for sleeping clothes.
  4. Seal off sleeping chamber from draughts. Insulate floor ( & even nearby walls) with matting of some sort. Use a heater & hot water bottle combination.
  5. Tuning in to a child’s breathing patterns while they are sleeping can often give fair warning to any encroaching hot flashes & cold fronts.

My mom (who had to rear a kicker & flailer herself), and my own two muckers & wringers have contributed to this analysis.