Slow Computer Question

Great job. You sir get the title Miser of the Day today

I like old friends but I like NEW toys

2 Likes

Sounds like a geriatrics sex shop tagline.

2 Likes

Maybe I should start an advertising agency ?

That, or a geriatrics sex shop.

2 Likes

BOOMER. WANNA GO BOOM ??!!

2 Likes

We blew the hell outa this slow computer thread !!

For someone who has only owned three $250 laptops in the last two decades, you sure know your tech terminology and seem to know quite a bit about computers.

By the way, for your next upgrade, I would recommend an Asus Chromebit which runs ChromeOS which seems to be more than enough for your needs. It’s literally a thumb drive that plugs into your monitor, and that’s the whole computer. They also have a Windows version if you need that.

I always recommend ChromeOS to anyone who only uses their computer for web browsing and light tasks. Fastest and cheapest computers I’ve ever used. Imagine a computer that only runs Google Chrome and has no base operating system (Windows) hogging up the memory and processor.

1 Like

That sounds awesome
Very James Bondish

And of course I just received another ordered hdmi to vga adapter because I don’t give up

And this one works so I plugged in my old monitor and actually I’m glad I got a new monitor because the new one is so so much better definition

Now I have the old one as a paperweight
To the basement it goes unless I can find someone who wants an old 19 inch asus monitor with a vga and hdmi to vga win 11 adapter
For free
Maybe I will try Craigslist

Used to belong to a neighborhood network and I gave away a couple things real fast

If I got this before the monitor upgrade I would’ve just left it be

I actually very rarely use a puter now that cell fones are so good

Prior to getting the new set up I think I may have used my computer one time a month if that

Used to pretty much live on the computer 20 years ago

My story is the same as many others
Desktop to notebook to tablet to cell fone

I use FreeBSD and it’s quite comical how the codebase for Chromium is several times larger than the rest of the system combined. It’s quite an old machine and it takes about the same amount of time for Chrome to load than it does for the system to boot

1 Like

Yeah ChromeOS boots up quick. I have the latest Apple Silicon MacBook and it still can’t beat a 10-year-old Chromebook.

I don’t think it’s ever really off. Essentially a cutdown Debian install, it would appear. Base Debian was too slow and heavy for my machine :smiley:

Assuming your processor is relatively modern, what causes slow computer is either insufficient ram or slow HDD (use a SSD, it will be much faster).

If your computer has less than 8G of RAM then this is a problem.

He’s running Windows 7, that means a system old enough for fans to be dying or clogged with dust causing it to overheat and down-throttle to keep the CPU from burning up. :roll_eyes:

Also old enough to have a mechanical drive, which could also be dying and retrying a lot.

Not to mention who knows how much crapware, malware, greyware, etc has gotten in over the years. Heck, it could even be running “kiss of death” Norton.

2 Likes

Hard drives do fail and become slower over time, happened to me, windows 11 freezing for 15 minutes after boot while the hard drive grinds away to load everything.

It isn’t a bad idea to vacuum the computer and blow all the dust off. If you don’t have an air compressor dust off cans are like 50 to 100nt.

Get a new sata SSD. They can be had for less than 2000 for a 1 to 2 t capacity. Reinstall windows and all that. Your computer will run much faster after this.

You don’t need a powerful cpu, even a 3rd generation Intel i5 will work.

You can buy OEM version of windows 10 or 11 for about 300nt by the way.

呆呆熊 絕對正版 Win windows 10 11 Office2021 2019 2016 365 序號 專業 家用

No need to pirate anything.

1 Like

Gone are the days of picking up pirate software in HK

(Not saying I did that of course )

1 Like