Slow cooker / crockpot

I really miss mine and could sure use one. Anyone seen these for sale in Taipei? I checked the BEST shop on Dunhua S. Rd. and Sogo, but no luck.

Really? I’ve seen them all over the place. Hard to say where to look. They always seem to be around.

I believe RTMart, Carrefour and so on carry them.

Anyplace that has rice cookers will have the so called “slow cookers”. Just go in and look around. You will find them in abundance.

They are slow cookers, seen them in some 3C’s,. RT-Marts, Carrefour’s, etc.

Tatong makes them in green, red and silver. Available everywhere. Next time you are in 7-eleven, have a look at what the tea eggs are stewing in; that’s what you’re after.

That and the green Tatong fan are the best electronic devices to come from Taiwan. Ever.

It steams, it cooks rice, it slow cooks, it warms food. If you get freaked by the aluminium, then they have a SS one.

Tatong make good stuff. Have had slow cookers, fans, DVD players and stuff from them in the past. I bought a slow cooker in Zhong He in 1993 and it was a great job. Tatong.

Ah, those are slow cookers? They are everywhere. I’ve just been looking for the Rival-model-type this whole time. Thanks for the clarification.

We went to RT Mart and saw one there, but our limited Chinese language ability (i.e. we can’t read Chinese) and the salesperson didn’t convince us it was. Salesperson said to use the “warmer” mode, but that doesn’t sound right. I’m afraid with the “warmer” mode, the food just won’t get cooked or will take forever and by then the ingredients will have spoiled.

So does anyone use one? Does it work just like a Rival brand crockpot with 3 settings: low, high, off? With most crockpot recipes I have, I put the setting on low and let it (roasts, meatballs, soups, etc.) cook for 6-8 hours. I just want to be able to dump all the ingredients into the vessel, flick a switch, and let it cook while we’re out for the day and dinner will be ready when we come home.

Will this work with the Tatong cooker? 6-8 hour cook time? Sorry for all the questions, I’d just like to be as sure as possible in knowing if this is the right purchase for me. Many thanks.

Ah, those are slow cookers? They are everywhere. I’ve just been looking for the Rival-model-type this whole time. Thanks for the clarification.

We went to RT Mart and saw one there, but our limited Chinese language ability (i.e. we can’t read Chinese) and the salesperson didn’t convince us it was. Salesperson said to use the “warmer” mode, but that doesn’t sound right. I’m afraid with the “warmer” mode, the food just won’t get cooked or will take forever and by then the ingredients will have spoiled.

So does anyone use one? Does it work just like a Rival brand crockpot with 3 settings: low, high, off? With most crockpot recipes I have, I put the setting on low and let it (roasts, meatballs, soups, etc.) cook for 6-8 hours. I just want to be able to dump all the ingredients into the vessel, flick a switch, and let it cook while we’re out for the day and dinner will be ready when we come home.

Will this work with the Tatong cooker? 6-8 hour cook time? Sorry for all the questions, I’d just like to be as sure as possible in knowing if this is the right purchase for me. Many thanks.[/quote]

It’s very simple to use - push the lever down to cook. Once it has reached the right temperature it will pop-up and go into warming mode. Many people use it to stew Chinese medicine, make stewed spare ribs…etc… You can even use it to steam.

Will this work with the Tatong cooker? 6-8 hour cook time? Sorry for all the questions, I’d just like to be as sure as possible in knowing if this is the right purchase for me. Many thanks.[/quote]

It’s very simple to use - push the lever down to cook. Once it has reached the right temperature it will pop-up and go into warming mode. Many people use it to stew Chinese medicine, make stewed spare ribs…etc… You can even use it to steam.[/quote]

Sorry, but that’s an on/off rice cooker/steamer that used in 7-11. It won’t do slow cooking. Try Carrefore but look around before buying. If you can afford it, just order from Amazon.com because a really good slow cooker is hard to find in TW.

It’s very simple to use - push the lever down to cook. Once it has reached the right temperature it will pop-up and go into warming mode. Many people use it to stew Chinese medicine, make stewed spare ribs…etc… You can even use it to steam.[/quote]

Sorry, but that’s an on/off rice cooker/steamer that used in 7-11. It won’t do slow cooking. Try Carrefore but look around before buying. If you can afford it, just order from Amazon.com because a really good slow cooker is hard to find in TW.[/quote]

Not really.

How slow is slow? I can do a nice braised short-rib and beef stew in one as well as osso buco - so I’m curious as to what might take longer. What you do is by a cheap porcelain crock pot with a lid and put it in the cooker. If I really need more than that, I use my cast iron pot over a low flame.

I don’t understand this fixation with gadgets. You really don’t need them.

[quote=“Elegua”]
I don’t understand this fixation with gadgets. You really don’t need them.[/quote]

Having just bought a top of the line rice cooker, I totally understand the fixation. My cooker produces some of the best rice outside of a resturant :yay: and gives me the freedom to do other things. The latter explains the fixation :smiley:

Sorry, but that’s an on/off rice cooker/steamer that used in 7-11. It won’t do slow cooking. Try Carrefore but look around before buying. If you can afford it, just order from Amazon.com because a really good slow cooker is hard to find in TW.[/quote]
Those 7-11 things for the eggs are indeed what you want. Cheap and reliable. My wife’s used the same one since before we were married in the late 20th century and it’s still going strong. Put a jointed chicken in at night and its falling off the bone by next morning.

Those 7-11 things for the eggs are indeed what you want. Cheap and reliable. My wife’s used the same one since before we were married in the late 20th century and it’s still going strong. Put a jointed chicken in at night and its falling off the bone by next morning.[/quote]

Exactly. And if it does break because you plugged it in the 220 socket, you can fix it with a screw driver. :slight_smile:

Desperate Housewife said:

Absolutely true. I bought the kind of rice cooker you can program, and it is great to have fresh, warm rice bubbling when you get home. It makes all the difference.

I remember one of my aunts had a similar slow cooker, where you could control the time and temperature. I have’t seen those here, only as Honeybird has seen, meaning warm and hot only. I have’t bought those because I really do not feel them quite “trustworthy”.

On VIVA TV -one of the shopping channels- they had an interesting contraption: an electric pressure cooker. Now that is something. Cheap, too, less than 2000 NTs. If I buy it, I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Seems like an interesting alternative.

Sandman said:

Question: how does she do that? Are we talking about the ones you put water outside the rice receptacle?

How do you control the cooking time with this method?

[quote]warm and hot only. I have’t bought those because I really do not feel them quite “trustworthy”.
[/quote]
I just called down to the wife and asked how old ours is exactly. She tells me she got it as a gift when she moved away from home to go to high school, which would make it nearly 25 years old. That’s what I’d call trustworthy. :wink:

[quote=“DesperateHousewife”][quote=“Elegua”]
I don’t understand this fixation with gadgets. You really don’t need them.[/quote]

Having just bought a top of the line rice cooker, I totally understand the fixation. My cooker produces some of the best rice outside of a resturant :yay: and gives me the freedom to do other things. The latter explains the fixation :smiley:[/quote]

I like cooking and food is important to me, so I don’t mind the couple of extra steps required. If you start the rice just before you begin to cook, then things are done at approx. the same time. Makes perfect rice every time.

We did have an Elephant brand top-of-the-line one but we ended up giving it away when we moved. It only did rice and it didn’t do that as well as the Tatung. We’ve had our cooker for about 15 years now (wedding gift). It’s gone with us 2 times across the Pacific and now to HKG. The maid plugged it in here, so I had to rescue it.

It is semi-automatic and based upon temp. When it reaches a certain temp as the water boils off, the level will pop and reduce the heat. If you need more cooking time, then re-set the lever. It will heat up again, but for a shorter period. If you use a porcelain pot inside it, that will retain enough heat to slow cook something overnight. Some people just use the metal pot they give you when you buy it.

Yes

Braised short ribs, beef stew, osso bucco, tender chicken falling off the bone…mmmm. Need. Slow cooker. Now.

[quote=“DesperateHousewife”][quote=“Elegua”]

Having just bought a top of the line rice cooker, I totally understand the fixation. My cooker produces some of the best rice outside of a resturant :yay: and gives me the freedom to do other things. The latter explains the fixation :smiley:[/quote]

Hear hear! With my job and 2 youngsters, some days I need to have the cooker do the cooking. Plus, I can’t go out with a pot on an open flame.

It is semi-automatic and based upon temp. When it reaches a certain temp as the water boils off, the level will pop and reduce the heat. If you need more cooking time, then re-set the lever. It will heat up again, but for a shorter period. If you use a porcelain pot inside it, that will retain enough heat to slow cook something overnight. Some people just use the metal pot they give you when you buy it.

Yes[/quote]

I’m almost convinced to try the Tatung. But, just a few more questions, please.

So I must put water outside the pot? No dry heat, right? How much water?

Sandman:

• Is Elegua’s above method the same one you used with that chicken?
  • With the metal pot?
  • So water doesn’t run dry and cooker doesn’t turn off overnight?

Elegua:

• So when the lever pops and reduces heat, will it at any point turn completely off? Or do I have to unplug it to turn all heat off?
  • I like the porcelain pot suggestion too…interesting. I assume these can be found in any cookware place? Do you know how to say “porcelain” in Chinese?

I appreciate all the helpful feedback, especially since we can’t read Chinese, and there weren’t any diagrams in the manual we browsed through.