Slow Cooker Food for the Small Kitchen

Nama suggested some slow cooker food so here is the first. Please add more.
Slow cooker hamburger and potatoes
My slow cooker will brown also so if you have one like that, this dish is even easier.
Wash 4 potatoes very clean. (saves peeling them)
Use a grater to grate like potato chips.
Brown a pound of ground beef in a little olive oil and crushed garlic
Dump the chips and the meat into a slow cooker.
Stir in a whole sliced onion.
Let it slow cook until the potatoes are tender. Add a can of mushroom soup and and spread it over the top. Let it cook for another 15 minutes or so until the soup is bubbly.
Great one dish quick easy filling dinner.

Dear God Ive just died and gone to food heaven. Thanks man :bravo: :bravo:

While surfing my fave cooking website http://www.allrecipes.com
I found this one. I haven’t tried it yet but it’s gotten 5 stars

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
* 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
* 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
* 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
* 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
* shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
* sour cream (optional)
* crushed tortilla chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
  2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

I forgot that I like to use the slow cooker to make spare ribs.

Spare ribs
Onion Seasoning to taste
Garlic Seasoning to taste
Seasoning Salt to taste
1 onion
Garlic cloves to taste
box of mushrooms
flour for dusting
Cup of water

Dice up the onion into slices, and mushrooms. Make sure the spare ribs are defrosed. You can find spare ribs at any wellcome, carrefore,etc. They are consider to be BBQ, so look in that section. Season the spare ribs and dust lightly with flour. Put all in the cooker, set on low with about a cup of water or so. Let it cook overnight on low.

Namahottie, is a slow cooker also known as a crock pot?

Yep. YOu can find them at carrefore and any other appliance store
:smiley:

[quote=“Namahottie”]I forgot that I like to use the slow cooker to make spare ribs.

Spare ribs
Onion Seasoning to taste
Seasoning Salt to taste
1 onion
Garlic cloves to taste
box of mushrooms
flour for dusting
Cup of water

Dice up the onion into slices, and mushrooms. Make sure the spare ribs are defrosed. You can find spare ribs at any wellcome, carrefore,etc. They are consider to be BBQ, so look in that section. Season the spare ribs and dust lightly with flour. Put all in the cooker, set on low with about a cup of water or so. Let it cook overnight on low.[/quote]

Yum yum, give me some. Nama, if you can recite even one line of troubadour lyric poetry, or know who the Cathars were (aka the Albigensians), we just have to meet.

btw, how many ribs (weight, number) for this dish?

We use the crockpot (slowcooker) every week to make favourites such as Hungarian Goulash, Spaghetti, Beef/Chicken Curry, Neo Roh Mien…etc. and it really makes a big difference in taste versus traditonal cooking methods and warms up the kitchen on those cold wintery days. One thing we do different than Nama is to first stirfry the major ingrediants like the meat and spices like chopped onions, garlic which brings out there taste and then drop it into the crock pot. Not sure if this is correct but my wife insists that it is.

Yes, sauteeing will definitely bring out the flavors. But other than onions and garlic and such I will not fry much. Meat? No way. The smell permeates the house for days. :sick:

Yes, sauteeing will definitely bring out the flavors. But other than onions and garlic and such I will not fry much. Meat? No way. The smell permeates the house for days. :sick:[/quote]

What smell?? Dont you have an exhaust fan above your gas burner?

Yes, sauteeing will definitely bring out the flavors. But other than onions and garlic and such I will not fry much. Meat? No way. The smell permeates the house for days. :sick:[/quote]

What smell?? Dont you have an exhaust fan above your gas burner?[/quote]

Of course, but the smell of frying meat cannot be contained by a fan. It goes everywhere. Trust me, if I walked into your house after you had fried meat, I would know. Anyone would know who had a nose.

[quote]yangdemei wrote:
Namahottie, is a slow cooker also known as a crock pot?[/quote]

[quote]Namahottie:
Yep. YOu can find them at carrefore and any other appliance store[/quote]

Does anyone have the name of these in Chinese or perhaps a recommended appliance brand? I had one of these at home and really loved them but was never sure if what I was seeing in the appliance stores here was the same. These recipes sound great and I

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Namahottie”]I forgot that I like to use the slow cooker to make spare ribs.

Spare ribs
Onion Seasoning to taste
Seasoning Salt to taste
1 onion
Garlic cloves to taste
box of mushrooms
flour for dusting
Cup of water

Dice up the onion into slices, and mushrooms. Make sure the spare ribs are defrosed. You can find spare ribs at any wellcome, carrefore,etc. They are consider to be BBQ, so look in that section. Season the spare ribs and dust lightly with flour. Put all in the cooker, set on low with about a cup of water or so. Let it cook overnight on low.[/quote]

Yum yum, give me some. Nama, if you can recite even one line of troubadour lyric poetry, or know who the Cathars were (aka the Albigensians), we just have to meet.

btw, how many ribs (weight, number) for this dish?[/quote]

oh that’s sweet of you. come to a happy hour you may run into me there. but the coming one, perhaps not. anyway----- i grab about two packs in the frozen section of the store. they usually have about 4 ribs to a pack or so. i guess if you want more you’d go to costco. i have never browned my meat before i do it and it still has a lot of flavor, the flour makes a nice gravy for rice. i’ll try the browning first.

i don’t know the chinese name for slow cookers, but they are iin the section where rice cookers,steamers and like are. you can tell the difference because they have settings on them high,low and automatic. word of caution. these cookers over here aren’t like the good ole crockpot brand back in the states. mine tends to be a little hotter even on low. i still can leave it to cook overnight, but when cooking meats and like make sure that you have suffient water for the meats.