Slow speed accident fatality

They aren’t taught how to turn into a corner I believe.

Instead they are taught how to reverse through an S bend.

It’s a response to a response to icon’s question.

I give them a death stare when i cross the road, scooters dont bother me, cars get stared down. 6’2 brick sht house stares at anyone like that they will stop I found out, even back in australia :smiley:

Yeah, I use the death stare technique too, even though I am far less imposing in physique. I also hold my keys in the hand closest to the possible offending cars. My hunch is these guys would avoid having their precious cars scratched—more so than avoiding running over pedestrians! So far this combo (death stare + keys in hand) has worked. Though I don’t think any of my techniques could have saved that poor woman… : (

Guy

I just think it is in very bad taste , especially for her family, to make that footage public.
People seem to have a morbid sense of curiosity in Taiwan that overrides compassion. RIP :pensive:

4 Likes

I hate, hate, hate that this was shown. Why! Ugh…

If a car is going to hit you head on, jump and land side ways and use the windshield to absorb the impact. The windshield material won’t shatter and will crack staying in one piece absorbing some of the impact. And then roll off the top of the car.

Don’t let it get your legs, you are 100% dead if you let the bumper take out your legs. Get above the windshield. A friend on mine who is a stuntman told me once.

My freshman year in college I live in the dorms next to a bus stop on campus. I heard a loud dud one day from outside. I found out later it was the sound of a girl stepping out the street into a bus coming when she didn’t look.

I’ve done the death stare and some cars keep going. It’s like they know that you know in the game of chicken they will win.

They’re right, I usually chicken out when they barrel toward me and leap out of the way using choice words. It always tends to be a luxury car with blacked out windows.

Oh, the ol’ “A pillar” defense.
Except it ain’t that old.

Bus drivers running over pedestrians started using earlier this year, and now it’s already getting old.

Now, the driver of an SUV uses the “A pillar” defense.

Next, pedestrian-killing scooter riders will drag out the ole’ “A pillar defense.”

2 Likes

You don’t have time to do anything. People haven’t evolved to deal with such speeds. The stuntman friend would know what was coming.

EDIT: If you see the vehicle coming definitely jump onto the bonnet. Hardly anyone does see it.

It’s like the Taiwanese driver version of the “Twinkie defense.” Just another sick aspect of not-my-fault culture.

2 Likes

No doubt this is reckless and (also sadly) typical taiwanese driving.

In my opinion that other SUV, who just overtook the woman seconds before might have an impact on the whole accident. Right after passing her, that SUV driver slowed down (likely the street being narrow for 2 SUV’s), which may made it impossible to see that woman from the “more far” distance.
Nevertheless this is NO EXCUSE to make the turn like a F1 driver and of course that idiot is fully to blame …

PS:
I doubt the driver uses/plays (with) his phone. How can you turn (quite sharp) if you are not looking ahead.
In my honest opinion he speeded and there was no time to react for both the driver and the victim (R.I.P.).
Anything happened “afterwards” the driver himself might be in shock …

Regrettable what happened, but at least in Taipei I haven’t noticed any big issue with traffic. Sure, all the rules are not followed, but then again who does follow all the rules ?

I see many TW drivers on the highway texting and driving.
Today an old lady on a scooter was doing god know what on her cellphone while driving her scooter 25km/h and blocking the lane for any of us to go past.

Probably Pokemon.
Pokemon hordes have been out in force recently. They have also increased their powers with two or three phones being a regular sight!

You sometimes receive urgent emails while driving, I do this as well(my wife hates it )

“emergency” and “email” aren’t commonly used in a sentence :D.

It doesn’t seem like “slow speed accident fatality” to me, I can feel the pain of the parents, sad.
I’ve seen countless accidents in narrow alleys, almost being a victim myself, I hope the government will do something regarding these reckless drivers / riders.

Just takes a second of inattention to lose your life on the road

Especially when you think there is no danger.

I don’t think the driver was paying attention.

Near the Berkeley campus there is a very small street where there is a crosswalk and a couple years ago a young boy was killed there on the crosswalk by a truck that obviously didn’t see him and they have since named that corner Zachary‘s corner and there’s always some small toys left there or flowers that his grieving parents leave there

The child was crossing the street along with his classmates and this truck came by and didn’t see them and he was the one that was killed at that location right on the crosswalk

A tremendously horrible phone call his parents must have gotten and a lifelong pain that cannot be erased

Truly tragic

I pass by that corner several times a week

1 Like

Which English teacher in Keelung?

He was on the sidewalk, standing behind a pillar, minding his own business…