Smoking in confined public spaces

Make it a poll.

Also, unless you’ve arranged with Skinner to make it a wholly 'umosan event, I doubt he’ll tell his other patrons to butt out. Is he closing the doors to non-umosans?

You’re nuts if you think 80% of the crowd are smokers.
I’m sure 80% of the crowd are in fact non-smokers.
Someday every public indoor venue will be smoke-free, and that day is not far away.
The sooner it happens, the better.

You’re nuts if you think 80% of the crowd are smokers.
I’m sure 80% of the crowd are in fact non-smokers.
Someday every public indoor venue will be smoke-free, and that day is not far away.
The sooner it happens, the better.[/quote]

I’m sure you meant to say that my post is nuts, right? Discuss the message not the messenger and whatnot?

Given your assertion, wouldn’t we then need a poll to ascertain whether or not my post is nuts?

We’ve done polls before on smoking/non-smoking at happy hours.
Feel free to do another one, but I already know what the results will be.

[quote=“Josefus”]We’ve done polls before on smoking/non-smoking at happy hours.
Feel free to do another one, but I already know what the results will be.[/quote]

Okay. call me poll-happy then. How about a poll to determine if I am nuts? We have one to determine if TH is an arsehole, why not another to gauge my sanity?

Who needs an hour to be happy? I’m happy allatime.

hardyharhar

Last time I was at citizen cain’s only one person was smoking. The rest were going outside to do it.

I dunno. If you was letting silent stinky farts rip at frequent intervals in a pub, wouldn’t you rather step outside to let em out where no one can smell them, than trap the people inside with your gas? :smiley:

[quote=“lupillus”]Last time I was at citizen cain’s only one person was smoking. The rest were going outside to do it.

I dunno. If you was letting silent stinky farts rip at frequent intervals in a pub, wouldn’t you rather step outside to let em out where no one can smell them, than trap the people inside with your gas? :smiley:[/quote]

You don’t know me all that well, do you luppi? Pretty sure I let a few rip on those long drives to and fro Neiwan. In case you don’t recall, I’ll be sure to offer you a tug on my finger Thursday soir.

Maybe alot of y’all don’t smoke, but out at our patio table at Carnage last month, the ashstrays were filling up faster than the beer mugs. So maybe it is a few, a cancerous few that will once more unto the breach of Dong Feng Jie. Ahhhhhh, St Crispy Lungs Day.

Don’t get me wrong folks. I’ll gladly step outside. Just want to further the discussion is all.

Previously posted and removd by someone with too much time on their hands and edited for your satisfaction:

[quote]I don’ t care either way about non-smoking. Was just trying to open the discussion up instead of having it regulated down our throats (har har). Thursday is a pretty popular night at the Cain and I was just saying to you vehemently anti smoking folks that no matter what 'umosans decide, there’ll still be a goodly amount of 2nd hand foulness for y’all to take in.

Given the degree of smokers to non at the last HH, I’d also posit that you and Imani are in a very small minority here. So should 80% of the crowd interrupt their conversations everytime they want to light up? There is something about a cold beer and a good smoke that go together so well that I personally don’t think it’s fair to separate the two. I think if it bothers you guys so much, maybe you shouldn’t go. I know how you feel. I felt the same way immediately after quitting and stopped hanging out with my crowd as they all smoke. I got over it and am again enjoying a varied and fruitful social life. I’d also miss out on my weekly poker game if I let it bother me as much as I used to. And I love my weekly poker game.

Sure it sucks (har har squared), but sometimes you just gotta say f-f-f-forget it.[/quote]

That’s great! :bravo: :notworthy: If all Forumosans follow your lead, we can have a Happy Hour enjoyed by everyone! :rainbow:

In the street?

That’s great! :bravo: :notworthy: If all Forumosans follow your lead, we can have a Happy Hour enjoyed by everyone! :rainbow:[/quote]

My pleasure. Still, kinda sucky that the debate has been stubbed out.

Any guidelines on what I should wear? Talk about? Drink?

Smoke hood. The benefits of clean air. Listerine. :sunglasses:

Seriously, if most people are prepared to step outside then why does there need to be a debate? I can’t stand cigarettes, which is why I hardly ever go to the pub any more, but if it’s still considered to be socially acceptable to do it in the pub then there’s not much point bitching about it to the people concerned - especially if they’re being reasonable. You just choose whether to go to the event, or not.

Making your views known to managers and event organisers, or even to lawmakers, sounds like a more productive way to bring about change. Eventually the message gets through: you don’t need to permit smoking in social places, in fact it can be better for business if you don’t, but admittedly it does sometimes take a long time for them to get the message as the majority seem to smoke and regard cigarettes as indivisible from the hospitality industry. Until then why give people shit for living within the law and being considerate of the needs of others?

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to remind the people who organise HH’s that non-smokers have rights too, but as even DB acknowledges, there’s not much point in further arguments. I don’t like smoke, but I’m not seeing a lot of support for ther proposal - repeated every year by someone - to organise some kind of outdoor daytime event. Simply bitching about the options available is not enough. Support an alternative. Or recognise that you’re too much of a minority.

It might be simpler to use a dipstick, or maybe a feeler gauge. Suggestions, anyone?