Sms question

Is it possiable for me to send sms to my friends in shanghai from taiwan using sms on my mobile phone. I also got an older phone a nokia 8250 that i got in shanghai and wanted to know if it will work when I arrive in Taiwan or will i have to get a new one.

Is it possiable for me to send sms to my friends in shanghai from taiwan using sms on my mobile phone. I also got an older phone a nokia 8250 that i got in shanghai and wanted to know if it will work when I arrive in Taiwan or will i have to get a new one.

It’s got nothing to do with the phone I believe but rather with the provider you’re with. I keep sending my friend in Shanghai SMS all the time, and she can answer. I used to have a fairly old Nokia phone, also bought in Shanghai (don’t ask me which model :blush:). I was able to send SMS to some people in Germany for a short while about one and a half years ago. That stopped as suddenly as it had been possible. However, they can still send me SMS to my phone. I can use a friend’s cell phone here who is with a different provider (I’m with FarEasTone) and send messages to Germany without any problems.

Or am I wrong? Rascal?
HTH
Iris

You are absolutely right - it depends on the operator/service provider.

gsm’s phone should work here, too, no worries.

by any chance do you know what service provider I should look at I have no idea which company i should get my new sim from

Don’t know about China, but I SMS with my friends in England and Australia all the time using a Taiwan da ge da sim card from 7-11.
Better than email and cheaper than voice.

:lovestruck: :rainbow:

I also have a Taiwan GSM (Taiwan Da Ge Da) SIM and can SMS to pretty much anywhere. Dunno about the other operators.

How do you send SMS to Canada? I’m using Chungwa.

If CHT allows sending to Canada and the Canadian operator allows receiving those just type your sms and enter the number in the following format: +CC NC SN

CC: Country Code
NC: Network Code
SN: Subscriber Number

The “+” will be translated by the CHT network as international prefix (e.g. 002, 019 etc.).