Snakes!

I think Russel’s kill more people than any other snake. Farmers in places like India are routinely struck as they work their fields.

Saw scaled vipers are very similar, with really nasty muscle-dissolving venom toxins, and they inject a LOT. They’re pretty much the same deal as Russel’s, in Northern Africa, Middle East and India. They pack a lot of punch for a small snake.

Taipans and brown snakes are just nasty . Aggressive, super potent venom, and bite multiple times. True, browns have tiny teeth (fangs are only 2-3 mm long), but textilotoxin is the most lethal snake toxin known, and they really only need to get a tiny little bit inside you… and it takes so long to die! Hours or days of progressive decline. Unless they manage to get a lucky injection into a vein in the finger web, for example: a few people have died within 30 minutes of a bite under those circumstances.

Taipans, while not quite such poisonous individual toxins, inject a lot more, with much bigger teeth, and you’re generally a long way from help if yo get bitten. And they’re a big snake.

and then there’s the black mamba… they’re a really fast snake (15-20km/h or so) and can lift half their body of the ground so their strike covers a lot of distance. and the venom is not nice. their venoms, like other elapids (cobras and most Australian snakes) contain quite potent cardiotoxins and neurotoxins. and they injet a lot of venom.

Habu and so on are generally not as aggressive as these. Plus, these five snakes’ size and behaviour (big and fast, or small and cryptic) and venom potency mean big trouble if you’re bitten without access to antivenom (or even with antivenom, which can require lots of doses).

3 Likes

Snake of the day.

Ryukyu rough scaled snake. Or odd tooth snake. Aka in Japanese
Akamata

All of 96 cm long. But a bit flat.

Roadkill. Becoming tanned. Any ideas?

1 Like

Hmmmm, let me think…
Is glam rock still a thing?

I’m thinking it would make a nice belt detail.

And yes, glam rock is still a thing. Somewhere I’m still cool. I’m sure of it.

20190528_004518

20190528_005713

uploaded camera pics of same viper. pretty little guy. Please correct me if im wrong on ID.

Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu1 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu2 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu3 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu4 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu5 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu6 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu7 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu8 Protobothrops-mucrosquamatu9

2 Likes

We are not safe even in the city!!! :runaway:

Her cousin was spotted in Ankeng Road, Xindian:
65457454_2604181029592279_5498223845925978112_o

3 Likes

I’m not 100%, but looking at the picture what came to mind was a catsnake (a boiga):

https://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/Boiga%20kraepelini/species_boiga_kraepelini.htm

But again I could be wrong and dead. The pattern looks very habu, but the head somehow reminds me of the boiga.

EDIT: nah, 98.7% sure it’s a habu.

"It’s head is shaped like a triangle, it should be poisonous“

Nice command of modal auxiliaries K-man.

1 Like

Ya its a viper. Their heads can kind of have that fat boxy look though.

Time to get a cat…

Any herpers going herping (mid-Aug onwards)?
We’d be keen to tag along and learn.

#noviceherpers :snake:

@onionsack?

The author of the excellent http://snakesoftaiwan.com/Start_Page_EN.htm ?
I thought he wrote, and left.

We go put usually once a week at night. Nothing wild or crazy but loads of frogs, spiders, insects etc. Sometimes snakes, lizards etc. Usually just me and my partner, but always bring along friends visiting. Where are you looking to search?

Someone discovered a rare Swinhoe’s brown frog at Aowanda forest part, and began taking photos of it. At some point they realized the frog wasn’t moving because a snake has already latched on to it.

2 Likes

:flushed: just when I thought it was safe to check out the snake thread :scream:

2 Likes

Here’s some snake on giant worm action
19238211_10155393181732433_8161340823801697315_o

1 Like

Hmm , Thankyou for your concerns mr. Bear . I’m already using one eye to look on here . This helps me not . :scream: don’t think I can overcome my fear of snakes :pensive:. I’m not too bad with the squeezy ones … but those bitey ones :cry:

Banded krait seen near the Taroko visitor’s center

IMG_20190802_203526

3 Likes

Here is a little cutie you cant be scared of.

Only 10ish cm usually, eat termites and the like, turn beautiful blue when about to shed and dont need males.

20190710_214907

20190710_214929

2 Likes

Chinese cobra spotted near zhishan mrt.
Chinese cobra spotted by a mother of a tes student near Lutetia coffee shop.
The picture was shared to other parents in the school

1 Like