Snakes!

Pics or it didn’t happen! :sunglasses:

I don’t think that frog is that rare I saw it a few weeks ago in the day time in Fulong :grin:.

Was out hiking with the Zepto clan on a forestry road in Hsinchu county at the weekend when we came across this beauty.

The kids were making a dam in a drainage ditch at the side of the road and I was helping clear some leaves when suddenly noticed it about a foot away. We’re normally very cautious about snakes and check over the area first but we never spotted this one, it just blended in perfectly and didn’t move at all while we were there.

detail:

2 Likes

A foot! Yikes. Wouldn’t want to get bit by that one.

Can you post a pic of the one you would like to get bitten by , please :yum:
:popcorn:

3 Likes

Maybe this one?
1d4d51c896ffbc8a41c8470c05d24d77

Looks bacteria-ridden

beautiful! note they are often near ditches and water sources. love eating frogs. be keep on the look out for banded kraits as well in those areas. nice pics :slight_smile:

What on earth would having breasts serve a reptile for? that animation is riddled with flaws…and creepy looking. Maybe if it was green?

Are you really trying to make sense of this picture? :rofl:

IMG_20191013_133657 IMG_20191013_133647 IMG_20191013_133641

Yeah i tink I’ve seen a few here. @onionsack @Explant

Wow. Never seen anything like that in taiwan before.

Some time ago (maybe a year ago) I run into a “snake researcher” dude around that area, I wonder if he’s anything to do with this. Funnily enough the night after taking those pictures I saw a roadkill (or maybe some asshole killed the snake on purpose) and another little angry tree viper that was hurt in her venom sack (?). Poor things.

Thanks! At least the kraits would be easier to spot.

This fella was there for at least 4 hours, and it was quite a dry day, so I reckon he was just holding on this spot waiting for frogs in the stream below.

Their tails are prehensile to such an extreme extent that they give monkeys a run for their money! Kraits move more, ill give them that, but also more aggressive.

@mad_masala
Ya that boundary looks quite literally completely useless. A for effort but probably lacking actual understanding of the snakes behaviour. Just no precenting that kind of thing. Or falling rocks which will eventually render that project broken eventually. But everyone has their hobbies and this one has great intentions :slight_smile:

On second look at the pics. Seems it would do a far better job diverting frogs and certain other animals into the ditch. Perhaps that was a study to see how effective it was. Could see it working for larger ground dwelling frog species quite well. Also looks more like a research thing seeing as they drilled into public infrastructure so was probably awarded a grant or allowance of some kind to let them do that.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1183107768384925698/pu/vid/474x852/cPi3tSHuln3Omu5w.mp4

I remember some Forumoseans wanted to learn Python…

We saw this on the 15th in Neihu! It had just eaten something, a mouse perhaps? Moving pretty slowly…
Edit: looked at snakesoftaiwan.com… is this a habu?! Lucky us it was full and moving slowly… it was at the park entrance and not very happy that the weekend hiking crowd was picking up.

5 Likes

Beautiful!

Certainly a viper. Long nosed viper?

They are pretty docile, which makes them dangerous…they dont move as much as others and are hard to see. They bite when attacked, and a giant about to step on them is considered being attacked. In the open they go which ever direction you arent :slight_smile:

1 Like

龜 殼花 - Taiwan Habu