Snakes!

Found this not so little guy in a concrete basin, but couldn’t match it with any of the photos on Snakes of Tw. Any ideas?

1 Like

How did this happen?

2 Likes

what kind of snakes would lurk around the river parks? i saw one in sanchong earlier, it was climbing down some steps. scared the crap out of me! looked pretty big. light in colour.

1 Like

No cellphone (for pictures) with you at the time?

i was crapping my pants mate.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I’m only interested on pictures of the snake… :rofl:
But yeah, a sudden encounter can be quite scary!

1 Like

Photo shopped it.

Cobras. Lots of cobras.

Which park BTW?

Dear snake experts, what time of the day can one go to the park and be least likely to bump into a snake?

Opposite dadaocheng. it was an unkempt part of the path where people don’t really go. i checked a website of venomous snakes in taiwan and it wasn’t any of those, which is nice!

Its the second time i’ve seen a snake in taiwan. the first time was in a foot bathing area of a river in yilan. there was a kid in the river chasing a snake around, crazy little shit he was.

1 Like

Buff striped keelback

https://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/Amphiesma%20stolatum/species_amphiesma_stolatum.htm

In the last week one of my indoor/outdoor cats has brought home a number of snakes. All the same kind.
Brown on top and grey underside. All about 8 inches long. Basically looks like and is the size of a large earthworm

What the heck kind of snake are these?
One she killed, another wedged itself in the door frame and when i pulled it out i pulled it apart. The other two i put down a storm drain so the cat cant get at it. Not sure if the snake will be able to make it back out of the storm drain further down the road or what.

i am thinking these are baby snakes but what kind? Poisonous? Baby rattlesnakes?

If you’re still in California, then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rena_humilis

Not baby snakes, but fully grown.

very non-poisonous, they mostly burrow around in the soil looking for worms. Well, clarification: feeling for worms, because their eyes are pretty much useless.

good to know !! I am usually of the mindset of see a snake kill a snake, but since i killed several in taiwan and had horrible nightmares for days afterwards i decided not to kill them.

I have never seen a snake in my apt complex near concord california. But then I probably would not have seen those other than my cat bringing it home. She is an expert earthworm catcher having caught quite a few that I have seen. I dont know if she eats them or just torments them to death. But nowadays its not earthwords, its these tiny snakes !! Should i have dropped them in the storm drain? Or did i sentence them to a slow death by starvation that way. I don’t want to harm these animals, i just want them away form the cat. If i just carried them a few feet she will find it and torment it again.

She is out there stalking right as we speak. The other two strays, one is fully indoors now and the other is 50/50. The snake catcher is often out all night and all day.

Good to know its non poisonous, and yes it seems to have no eyes, i was convinced it was an earthworm until i saw it move …and it doesnt move like an earthworm !! And i saw the little tongue darting out.

What are these things doing above ground?? I thought the article said they live underground. What is bringing them to the surface?

About the same time of day you are least likely to run into people.

The common ones are like this
Daytime cobras
Night time vipers and kraits

There are many non poisonous snakes as well. They rarely follow the clock so need to think more in terms of habitat, food presence, weather etc.

Cobras are black usually so likely not if its light. Lots of ratsnakes about.

Take a look at the snakes of taiwan site to start. once youre educated about them, the shatting of ones pants becomes less likely.

1 Like

or perhaps MORE likely

has it been raining a lot? they don’t like very wet ground.

also, they supposedly hunt around in rotting logs and stuff. maybe that’s where your cat is catching them.

I wish you’d keep the cats inside at night…they are amazing predators, people are normally quite unaware of how far they roam and just how many animals their cat possibly kills at night.

3 Likes

Or make you afraid to get on planes. Maybe when it rains snakes find the nearest planes to get into.

Absolutely. Cat people seem to be willfully ignorant about how disasterous their fuzzy kitty actually is.

Ps. Frog eating snakes are out a lot in the rain. Especially warm rains.

I try to keep them in at night because we have coyotes. Reportedly one came across the mailbox not that long ago.

Our two outdoor cats are less than a year old and their range is about only 100 feet away from the house. They are very timid and scared of other cats territories so I dont think they do a lot of killing. ONe likes to hunt earthworms for sure, hence the snakes which it thinks are earthworms. The other got into a tussle with a squirrel once, but the squirrel got away.

I do try to keep them in, only when they refuse.
WE have a broken water irrigator gushing out a lot of water, perhaps thats why the snakes are surfacing right near the thing.

p.s. we live in a walled in compound so our two indoor/outdoor cats don’t venture past the compound and they are always near the house or near our cars, never further than that. The compound is not gated but the entrances are about 100 yards away past the swimming pool, and the little ones freeze if they get even close to the pool because there are cats there (who are also out at night indoor/outdoor as well) who claim that area and will fight our cats off.

by the way, any idea if the snakes die if i put them into the storm drain? I guess i should just let it go back into the grass when i see them again. Which i think i will

My cat used to venture out but not anymore… I don’t encourage him to either.

But I need a furry serial killer to keep my shop cockroach, huntsman spider, and rat free. So I need the cat. But I saw him chase out a brown snake once… I have no idea what kind of snake it was because I couldn’t ID them when they disappear. It looks like it’s about 1 foot long.