Snakes!

I think the snakes would be OK in the storm drain. They’ll probably find their way out somewhere, but releasing them in the grass would be better.

1 Like

How bad a parent can be?

What, literally?

Think I was referring to a coyote coming across our mailbox

Not a snake coming out of our mailbox

Both are bad

I see, but what does it mean that a coyote came across your mailbox?

@tempogain @tommy525

Please don’t be rude in the Science and Nature forum, okay?

1 Like

:slight_smile:

I just want to know what the coyote did!

No problem, the snake ate the dog already.

lol, i dont know what you guys are on, we are talking about a real coyote that walked past our mailbox at 3am. So thats a worry for our two cats who like to hang out outside all night long (and most of the day). The one inside cat Ollie is safe.
No wonder whopper used to sometimes run inside from the patio (second floor) and hide under the bed. I looked outside and I couldn’t see anything, but he did !

2 Likes

Euprepiophis mandarinus takasago. Has anyone seen this one before?

Snakes in the yard!!

Last week on top of my inner courtyard wall I saw a 龜殼花 (Taiwan Habu) hunting for toads. I scared it off into the lower yard into the forest. Sorry about the poor picture, but he was a bit camera shy.

Then at around 10:00pm, I found a 紅斑蛇 (Red-banded Snake) in the outer courtyard which had just started eating a toad. I decided to leave him alone and kept the dogs away from him. He finally finished choking it down by 10am the next morning. After he was finished, I gently tossed him into the forest and let him be on his way.

6 Likes

Those are amazing pictures, thanks for sharing.

Never seen that species, thats great to see videos and pics, well done. But did it take it 12 hours to swallow? Thats surprising it would take so long!

Actually, it was probably closer to 13 hours. It was a very large toad in comparison to the snake which was pretty small as far as the other Red-Banded Snakes I have encountered in my yard. The Red-Banded Snake isn’t venomous, so I’m not worried about picking it up with short tongs. But, you still have to be careful with them because they are quite aggressive and bitey. Fortunately, this guy was suffering from food coma and wasn’t much of a threat.

Had it been a Habu, Bamboo Viper or especially a Krait, I would have used an actual snake hook to extricate them from my inner courtyard.

Glad you enjoyed the pics and vids.

1 Like

You need Samuel Jackson in your house. You have lots of snakes.

1 Like

Do you live in the mountains?

Farm in the north coast lowlands. Lots and lots and lots of snakes. See them every evening on my night walks. Many times they are too quick to get the camera out and take a proper photo.

2 Likes

Any risk of getting bitten or close calls with that many snakes walking at night?

Hahaha, that is indeed one epic meal. Just imagine the turs that ensues. Likely also epic.

Im always amazed how animals evolve poisins, then their predatirs evolve to digeat their poisons. Fascinating stuff!

Snakes eat a GIANT meal (for their size) like twice a year. I mean it.

They do this because food security in the wild is not always the best…

No, not for me. I’ve got really powerful headlamps which light up the trails very well and I know where the snakes will be. However, when I take my dogs, I must always be very careful and watch out for them and keep them close on a lead in order to avoid them surprising any snakes. One of my dogs, the dumb goofball, has nearly been bitten twice by a Habu and also a Krait. She saw the snakes before me and went to smell/greet them, but I was able to jerk her back and out of the way before anything bad happened. I’ve had one dog get bitten by a Habu in the yard one early morning. She survived, but it was a very difficult recovery.

1 Like