Snakes!

Did she fear snakes any more afterward? Just curious.

Actually, yes. I have a really cool home security video from a couple years later.

My Taiwan Tugo, “Snake Killer”, found a snake in the vegetable garden and grabbed it out by the tail and threw it into the middle of the tiled courtyard. The dog who had been bitten came over to see what was going on and the second she saw the snake, she immediately tucked her tail between her legs and backed up and ran away. It’s a hilarious video. It’s like she said, “Hey,Tiger Girl,whatcha got there?..Whoah!..I’m OUT!” LOL

1 Like

Where will the snakes usually be at night?

Hunting for frogs, toads and other food. Many are found near light poles on mountain roads. Lights attract insects, insects attract frogs and toads and frogs and toads attract snakes. Yummy yummy.

Also, as the evening temps drop, the snakes like to heat themselves up on the roads which retain heat.

Just take a night drive in your car and drive some mountain roads. I guarantee you’ll see at least one snake. They are everywhere.

2 Likes

I guess its a bad idea to walk on mountain roads at night

Oh no, not at all. Just have a strong light and always, always watch where you’re walking! My headlight puts out 3,000 lumens, so I can light up a huge area when I walk. Just be cautious of the grass along the roads.

it is probably the only situation you can legitimately say in Taiwan that the roads are the safest place to walk.

3 Likes

Just saw this cutie a few minutes ago. Looks to be another 紅斑蛇.

4 Likes

My goodness will chop that snake.

Your goodness sounds pretty hardcore.

2 Likes

Thats some next level horrible parenting. Hes either got an insanely short life ahead of him, or he is going to be the next tarzan.

1 Like

Praying for next Tarzan. :grimacing:

1 Like

Ran into another 紅斑蛇 (Red-banded Snake) on a country road near my home.

Sorry about the poor quality. I was trying to juggle my phone camera whilst holding two dogs back!

4 Likes

Hey! Looks like I found a cobra trying to enjoy a late night meal during my evening walk.

No pictures, just this kinda cool video.

Here’s a picture of a cobra from the website Snakes of Taiwan to assist in the identification.

What do you experts think? Is this a cobra or something else?

4 Likes

I’ve run into cobras like 3 times I think and it was always during the day time. According to a local farmer I sometimes “talk” with, the best time for seeing them is the afternoon. I don’t think they’re active by night but I’m not a herpetologist and I could be wrong. I normally would go with the generic category “rat snake”, but that head has some bulges on the sides… and after watching the video, yeah, the coloration / patterns on the skin tell us it’s likely to be a cobra! Interesting.

BUT this one doesn’t look to me like a Taiwan Habu at all.

Yes. Cobras are a daytime snake, so I was quite surprised. However, it’s the second one I’ve seen at night. The last one was crossing a road around midnight. Only got a fleeting picture of it as it was in a hurry to avoid me. I’ll look and see if I can find the picture.

Terrible picture, but I guarantee that it was a Habu.

If snakes mostly avoid people then how is Snakes on a Plane even a thing? I would assume if you put a box full of snakes on a plane the snakes would most likely hide…

1 Like