Snakes!

I’m looking at some photo editing software and going through old pictures and liked this one. I guess I already posted but… so what? huh? so what?

4 Likes

Should we start the herping season already?

I’ve already encountered a nice, long, thick cobra.

I’ve got a video, but I can’t post it because it was murdered by my neighbor’s dog and they just stood by and filmed it.

I got there a quickly as I could, but the snake was too injured to recover.

I’ve also seen two civet cats near my home within the last week. I hope my neighbors don’t find out because they will eat them.

Fucking dirt dumplings!

1 Like

It isnt the fact you found one that pisses us off, its the fact you called us a disease haha.

I have yet to find one either. Yesterday was filled with cobras and wolf snakes for us…yet again.

1 Like

Damn, it sounds like I need to get back to my herping nights! Filled with cobras? where the fuck do you live?

Always find cobras, even more than the green tree vipers. Im in southern farmville.

Wolf snake last night.

20210411_221813

We dont get as lucky down here as you guys up north.

Did you try to post a pic?
I see nothing…

Weird…

Some other pics then

3 Likes

Handsome guy!

4 Likes

Saw this one at the top of Fu De Keng yesterday. Was lying right beside the road just a couple inches from my bike. Went back to find it, and it had moved into the grass where it poked its head out. Wish I had brought my proper camera.

2 Likes

That’s weird and cute. Need to check what it is.

I guess it’s this one, which I never saw in the wild BTW:
https://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/gonyosoma-frenatum.html

Where or what is Fu De Keng?

Fu De Keng Public Cemetery

富德公墓辦公室

so not likely to be that snake, which is very rare and only recorded from the south of Taiwan. although it certainly looks like it…

Yeah, I read that, and as I said I never saw it (and I’ve seen a few of them already). But it doesn’t look like the ubiquitous greater green to me.

EDIT: it also looks like a fake snake haha.

1 Like

Here’s some work for Samuel L Jackson…

1 Like

There are things that even if not needed make your day rounded. Things like hearing the hissing call of the slithering ladies of the night and go to meet them. You go there, because they called you, and then there they are, seemingly minding their own business, pretending to ignore you and the late call. Come on, I came here because of you, and you can’t stop foraging in the rotting foliage for a moment? That’s not the way you treat your guests!

Even if it’s always exciting to meet a slender beauty that can take you down for good just out of a small misunderstanding (Hey! I only wanted to take a picture, I promise, no need to kill me!!!), I have to say that there are other more gratifying snakes out there. For example, tree vipers. You can take them with a stick and while some of them can be a bit pissy about the unrequested photoshop, most of them will take the job with some degree of resignation and give you the best of their poses. Unlike the many banded kraits, which again they seem to mind their business and ignore you despite you are… just there, a few steps from them, with some annoying lights pointing at them. Are they blind or what? Then, they all in a sudden realize that you are just a well dressed (ahem!) animal and they bury their heads even more, this time not looking for some slimy meal but for pretending they aren’t there until they slither away and effectively aren’t there anymore. In short, you aren’t going to get very striking images but rather plane, top views of a snake that doesn’t want you to be there, or doesn’t want to be there with you so close.

The nature of these ladies is, in short, 1) lethal and 2) shy as fuck. As I was trying to say in a pompous way, they seem to be oblivious to you, then they try to pretend they aren’t there, and then they just disappear under the decaying vegetation. Last night, however, was a bit different. Maybe it’s not the first time a krait goes nervous and somehow confrontational, but yesterday I really got scared at least for a few seconds.

I was trying to get a more interesting picture than the average “oh, look at that thing down there” typical picture of a snake making her way out of scene, so I kinda kneel down not too far from it. Something happened in the small reptilian brain and the legless motherfucker went full retard kinda jumping against me. That scared the shit out of me, and also hindered my attempt of a decent picture.

Vipers are fast biters. They load their bodily spring and then release it mouth open towards you like… some distance that you can guesstimate. Many banded kraits however are usually very calm and shy until they freak out and move all over the place like an angry, deadly whip. I’ve seen kraits longer than this one and they are indeed scary when they move that way… thanks God last night’s had a more moderate size.

Anyway, bottom line is… beware of these pure nerve bipolars. They are very fast, and not always for escaping from you, even if they are 90% of the time calm, shy animals.

6 Likes

Special mention to those who couldn’t make it. The first finding last night was unfortunately yet another DOR green. Poor bastard. I didn’t want her to lay on the road until becoming a green carpet thanks to unconsidered drivers, so I offered it to the gods in an improvised altar on the road side. A last picture of it:

So, total count of the night: One great green snake, four many banded kraits of different size.

3 Likes

Its amazing how many get killed on the road. In fact i have only ever cound a couple of them alive, countless DOR…:frowning:

Evolution: Hey look, i went green to camouflage from predators! I am a successfull species

People: Hey green! Fuck you, smack. Silence…

:frowning: