So I was yelling at the kids today and

…and a blood vessel in my eye burst. :astonished:

[quote]It is quite common for a blood vessel on the front of the eye to burst. The vessel in the conjunctival tissue that lines the white part of the eye (sclera). When the bleed occurs it makes the white part of the eye go very red and it can look quite spectacular causing some distress.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to prevent these happening despite some people getting them regularly. There is no treatment other than to wait for the blood to be absorbed. It usually takes about 2 weeks to go completely. There is some association with high blood pressure and these spontaneous burst blood vessels. [/quote]
Looks pretty horrible.

I was yelling at the little angels in my class to be quiet when it happened. Some of the kids noticed and felt quite sick (good!).
I knew something had happened, as my eye felt a little strange. As if there was a small pain, but barely noticeable. My head on that whole side feels kind of strange too. Maybe I’m just imagining it.

It’s about a 5mm circulary squarey thingy in the white part of my right eye. You cant see it if I look straight on, but if I look to the left, you’ll see it like…uh…a big red blood dot on a white eyeball. :shocker:

Update: Got a pic of my eye for you!

I’ve had this before, but last time was from pushing on the toilet too hard. Didn’t think I could get them from yelling too loud (I guess a strain is a strain is a strain.)

Does anyone know, could this get any worse if I strain myself again? If yes, please explain in more detail.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

P.S. Didn’t know where to post this. So Open Forum it is.

Yes, I had the same thing happen in July 1995, both eyes. I had been out at dinner at a friend’s birthday party drinking a few pitchers of margaritas, and later the party migrated back to my place where more alcohol was consumed. At some point I ended up in the bathroom with my head in the bowl. :sick: :sick:

Next morning I stumble downstairs and my friends were all staring at me with their mouths open and told me to go look in the mirror. Yegads, the bottom half of each eyeball was completely bright blood red. Went to see a doctor and said it was likely the strain of :sick: combined with dehydration from the alcohol that caused it. Freaked everyone out for a few weeks and then it went away. Haven’t had that problem since. Haven’t had more than a couple drinks a night since either.

Didn’t have a camera handy either, so I scanned myself: (click to see the big version)

By the way, I’m not accusing you of teaching while drunk. :wink:

jlick,

Must be some party and hangover. You look like a zombie from the Dawn of the Dead movie.

:smiley:

Sorry, no help to offer as I’ve never had this happen, but I just had to say that that comment above made me burst out laughing. There’s just something funny about the idea of someone straining on the toilet so hard their eye breaks.

Forgot to mention it in my reply, but my doctor said that that was the usual way it happened.

Never yell at kids without hitting them; it relieves the pressure in your eyeballs.

DearTaiwanPsycho"
please get better
thanks for the laugh… :noway:

You should pretend to be a zombie from 28 Days After and eat one of the kids the next time this happens. That’ll teach them.

yourencyclopedia.net/Valentinian_I.html

It’s a funny thing about dying really. I mean it is one of those things that you know you gotta do sometime but despite that one feels naturally inclined to put it off as long as possible. And It turns out that a dream I once had about an after death experience was in fact previously described by a Russian author of the name Dostoyevsky. This of course raises the question of whether or not the subsequent dream of mine was in fact merely a reflection (hard to come up with brain chemistry metaphors at 4:36 AM) of a previous reading of “Dream of a ridiculous man - A Fantasic Story”. In any event as I read through “The Eternal Husband - a collection of Dostoyevsky’s finest short stories” I am indeed impressed that a nineteeenth Rusian century writer could so accurately describe my modern day Taipei existence. Must be the epilepsy.

This happens with childbirth too. I had it happen to both eyes with one birth but it wasn’t quite as bad as jlick’s. Sorry about your eye (and the little twerps). Next time, take a deep breath and count to ten. Wouldn’t want to burst one in your head now, would you?

I’m certainly going to change my style.
I’d hate to pop an eyeball or worse…drop dead from yelling at little brats.
I was having a bad day yesterday, I don’t yell all the time. :blush:

[quote]Does anyone know, could this get any worse if I strain myself again? If yes, please explain in more detail.

Anyone else had a similar experience?[/quote]
Happened to me when I had a flu a few years back and had to sneeze so hard one night. Woke up and noticed this little red dot at the bottom of my eye - during the day the thing got bigger. Went to see a doc and got some eye drops to prevent an infection, otherwise there was nothing he could do.

Didn’t hurt and it went away after a week or two …

I’ve done it when I rubbed my eye too hard…and thank you, but I have 3-year-olds reminding me not to rub them already. :laughing: Never happened to me before, and I don’t think I have the capacity to yell that hard…especially at kids. Maybe sleazy bastards who come barreling through a red light as I cross the street, but probably not even then.

Eyeballs are so disgusting, but I’m slowly starting to think of them in the same way that I think of teeth.
A friend of mine had a detached retina. The doctors have to cut into your eyeball to fix that. But, hell, maybe it’s better than having a root canal.

Her eyeball looks fine now, by the way.

But if you ever notice little grey/black eye floaters, you should see an ophthalmologist ASAP. Eye floaters are usually harmless, just like wrinkles and zits inside your eyeball. But if they’re the bad kind… then you might be in danger of blindness - like within a couple of days, so it’s pretty serious. But usually it’s OK.

The only way to get rid of floaters is a virectomy, which means they stick a needle in your eyeball and suck out all the juice, replacing it with a saline solution. But virectomies are very dangerous, since they could possibly cause something worse than floaters like a cataract or a rip in your retina…

Eyeballs are so precious. You can eat lutein (葉黃素)supplements to take care of them and avoid getting eye floaters and protect your retina. You can get lutein supplements at the drug store next to Starbucks at Guting station… or just eat a lot of carrots and carotenoids.

Uh… I better go to bed. I’m worried about internet addiction and my eyeballs.

TP,

I hope your eye gets better soon, and I hope you and your kids have a better time of it in the future. It’s difficult sometimes. . . .

The passage you quoted mentioned blood pressure; if you haven’t already, you might think about getting that checked.

Take care,
xp+10K

be careful believing whatever blood pressure reading you get here though - it’s measured incorrectly very often. according to my fam doctor back home, your arm should be bent and closer to your body, not just flapped out on a table, and they should definately not take your blood pressure a minute after running in off the street to get your health check done between classes, or after driving more than 50 meters along any road :laughing:
i was continually told that mine was high here, yet every time i went home, it came out fine (must be mom’s cooking). i realize that there could be other reasons for this, but lately, i’ve been to the doc a few times, and every time it’s been alright when they measured it the right way. then again, i don’t teach nearly the amount of young kids that i used to …

[quote]
Physics Professor Goes on Rage in Class

LAFAYETTE, La. - A University of Louisiana at Lafayette physics professor was banned from the campus Wednesday and taken to the coroner’s office for evaluation after threatening his class, university officials said.

Student Kacie Spears said professor Louis Houston lost control right after class began Wednesday morning and was yelling obscenities.

“Then he told us if we got out of our seats he’s gonna kill us. He went on the black board and wrote “911 now”, so we were really in fear for our lives,” Spears told KATC-TV.

Spears said Houston slapped a student and then told his class he was God.[/quote]

continued at:

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … _removed_3