So it's come to this already: money-mkt funds "break buck"

For those unfamiliar, at least here in the U.S. a “money market account” is sort of equivalent to a savings account, only usually with a minisculely higher interest rate. The accounts trade in T-bills and other “100% safe” government bonds to make their money.

For such an account to have a negative interest rate is nearly unprecedented. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it happening in the last 30+ years. This WP article makes it sound like it’s happened just once before, and that wasn’t for retail investors.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 00209.html

Wow, within 3 minutes of reading this thread, I got a broadcast email from my broker in Singapore urging clients to transfer all funds from the in-house Money Market Fund to nominated bank accounts “just to be sure”. He suggested it should be done prior to 10am.

Fortunately, I did that 6 weeks ago.

They’re talking about this on Bloomberg right now. They say they expect a consumer flight from money markets to regular savings. Apparently, this bodes very badly for those already hobbled banks covering negative balance sheets.

Check this money-mkt fund out, it already went downhill months ago (I think it was invested in ABS): PIONEER INVESTMENTS EURO GELDMARKT PLUS

Safest place for your money right now? Under the pillow.

[quote=“Rascal”]Check this money-mkt fund out, it already went downhill months ago (I think it was invested in ABS): PIONEER INVESTMENTS EURO GELDMARKT PLUS

Safest place for your money right now? Under the pillow.[/quote]

Big safety deposit box in the vault of your bank. :laughing:

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“Rascal”]Check this money-mkt fund out, it already went downhill months ago (I think it was invested in ABS): PIONEER INVESTMENTS EURO GELDMARKT PLUS

Safest place for your money right now? Under the pillow.[/quote]

Big safety deposit box in the vault of your bank. :laughing:[/quote]
No votes for “stripper’s garter belt”?

Well, fine, it’s not safe there, but at least it’s entertaining.

If this trend continues, I can see several consumers opting for safer investments (it’s amazing that right now money market accounts, which once were considered “safe investments”, is even a part of this conversation!) such as CDs or High-Yield Savings accounts.

What do you think? Is this a blip on the financial radar or a sign of worse things to come. Regardless, keeping some of your money in an airtight FDIC-insured account would seem to be one of the best ways to weather this current storm.