So some parent complained that I chew gum in my class

Depends on the school. I worked in a pretty serious one where the kids were accountable for doing HW and being prepared for class, and parents could even sit in. Definitely no chewing of gum and, had to wear decent attire, but teachers were all experienced and also paid way over $600 (20+ years ago). But, yeah, at schools where I taught earlier, people did not show up late for long but it was a much more casual atmosphere.

I’ve seen the professional places too and I can respect the style. Dressed up, paid professionally but expected to act professional.
But most places that want someone for 500 to 600 an hour will get what they pay for

I just assumed the OP was an actual teacher at a school, and not a tutoring center.

I’d put tutoring centers in the same category as summer school, and I would certainly be ok with my kid’s summer school teachers chewing gum in class.

1 Like

I do not think it is correct in any circumstance as a teacher in a class setting unless you have a medical reason, but I am not be too bothered about it.

1 Like

Two wrongs rarely make a right. It is the students (the customers) that suffer from both sides acting unprofessional.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a big deal at a buxiban. A lot of those places like to try to create a more relaxed atmosphere as the kids are already out of school.

true. though a lot still command respect from the students in some quite strict ways. Seems ironic…

On its own I would agree with you. But all bets are off when you force people to teach with masks.

Why? its government mandates, not businesses choices no?

People can still tell that you are chewing gum even if you’re wearing a mask, just like they can still tell if you didn’t shave. But if you can chew discreetly without moving your jaw much, then so be it.

1 Like

Because if you make nonsensical dumb mandates expect more nonsensical dumb shit to follow.

1 Like

Very true. just saying the teaching with masks is a mandate, not the teachers choice (I thought). I see what you mean by dumb shit following though haha. like gum?

Just to provide some context, students were allowed to eat and drink whatever they wanted at practically anytime in class, as long as they used their plastic partition. Secondly, no one could tell I was chewing gum because of the mask, although the little killjoy who complained to his mom knew because he’d seen me put a piece in at the beginning of class. With any luck, they’ll both die in a fire.

As an aside, the shitstain brother and sister ownership duo at my previous school got into a lot of trouble with the MoL for some underhanded behavior with 2 foreigners (separate issues).
I’ve been at a new school for over a year now. I’m paid better for fewer hours, and the environment is much friendlier.
I still chew gum in class, and my very reasonable boss doesn’t have any problem with it.

4 Likes

Sometimes people just picking on something and see how you react.
I was getting a look when eating (apparently smacking) raw celery… by an Irish colleague.
Get back at him by passive aggressively occupying some seats with other people belonging on more posh adjustable desk on our open-office set-up. So he must sit on common non-adjustable hot desk.

Or maybe he genuinely thought your smacking on the celery was disgusting?

1 Like

How not to smack when eating raw celery?

Chewing with your mouth closed usually helps, and don’t chew very hard? :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Easy for you to say, when your jaw did not shaped like Habsburg-jaw.

I’ve been told not to chew gum in class. I feel like it makes the kids more relaxed and makes me look like I’m having fun.

I’m told the current regulation is that I don’t need a mask while teaching, i take it off to pontificate but put it on to circulate