So this is what the kids are learning at school now? ...To persecute people

For academic register words like Moreover, However, and Therefore are preferable.

But; And, But, and So are grammatically correct.

Language is murky.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s hard to test murky.

2 Likes

Tell me about it!

This US American has been learnt very better grammars. :wink:

3 Likes

If I were going to teach, I’d want to teach art or poetry…something with no objective standards. I’d have fun terrorizing my students with bizarre and subjective grading and spend my time hitting on the hot ones. Good thing I’m not a teacher.

1 Like

It’s actually very easy. You just teach what they need, while remaining aware that when they’re getting it ‘wrong’ they often aren’t.

This is why you’re a teacher and I’m not. All those students really dodged a bullet.

1 Like

That’s very kind, but I think I earn considerably less than you so maybe I didn’t dodge a bullet.

As an aside, my students have asked for a lesson about cultural differences about humour. I’m knocking it up now, so if anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. They are upper intermediate so I’m thinking about Monty Python as opposed to Mr. Bean. I’d like some North American stuff as well (Kids in the Hall, Friends etc?).

2 Likes

I’d go with something like South Park or Rick & Morty, but those may be too profane…again, probably why I’m not a teacher.

They’re over 18, it should be OK.

Derek and Clive might be a bridge to far.

As a gay Muslim I feel slightly vulnerable

1 Like

Eddie Murphy Raw

Probably started by a teacher after seeing the thousandth example of “I wanted to go to my friend’s house. But it was raining. And I didn’t have an umbrella. So I didn’t go.”

I used to tell my students “There is nothing wrong with starting a sentence that way. And many good writers do it. But you don’t know how. So don’t.”

3 Likes

Similar to split infinitives and ending a sentence with a preposition.

1 Like

This is something students shouldn’t be tested on.

3 Likes

This is the forum you like to boldly post in.

Sounds good enough to me. :grin:

1 Like

Yes. They should be tested by reading passages and listening to conversations and being able to understand WTF is going on and express their understanding through speech and writing.

I think on modifies the verb, which makes it an adverb in this example.

This is the sort of thing I shall not put up with!

2 Likes

I’d like to strenuously object, but I don’t have a leg to stand on.

4 Likes

I know it’s wrong but I see native speakers doing it all the time so I ignore this rule.