So what's the good news

I never said anything about pristine beauty, but the hills are great. So much to see. LOL mentions London. How far would you have to drive through London to get to some hills (or a single small hill for that matter). If someone who likes London told me they didn’t like a place, that would be recommendation for me. Sure, the buildings are ugly. Some places are dirty (but nothing compared to London). But if you want rpistine and pure, go and live in a village or an island or on top of a mountain, don’t go liuve in a city.

Bri

London has its run-down spots, but Taipei is dirtier by far. The air in Taipei is far more polluted and the rivers around Taiwan are dreadful (semiconductor plants tipping all their waste into them.) London is a cosmopolitan city. Taiwan is not. Similar arguments could be made in favour of Tokyo, too. London and Tokyo have a higher standard of living - more and better arts facilities, restaurants and sports.

Taiwan is just more friendly, more funky… that’s all.

Southpaw,
Before I throw in my two-cents’ worth, I’d like to know your take on living in Japan. You are apperently wishing to leave the land of the rising sun and I wonder why. And why are you thinking of Taiwan as a next stop?

If you ask me (and you didn’t, of course), the charm of Taipei IS it’s disorderly chaos. In Taipei, practicality takes priority over aesthetics. What could be more fun than strolling down a night market full of bustling life in all it’s chaotic festiveness? Old decorative temples throughout the city are a striking contrast to the drab deteriorating structures around them. Small businesses line the streets, and there is no distinction made between the commercial and residential zones (there are no zones!). And the people really are friendly, should you present yourself similarly.

There’s no doubt that Taipei has an “inner beauty”. Were it a “world city” equatable to places like Tokyo, Paris or London, perhaps it would lack the luster that makes it unique. You either love it or hate it, it seems. Sure, I’d like to see a cleaner environment and higher safety standards. Less garbage, clear rivers and painted buildings. But the simplicity of Taipei is all part of the charm, and that’s one thing I wouldn’t want to see change.

a brief one as i have to go to work.
I want to leave japan just for a change, i plan to go back home in a couple of years so i want to see as much as possible. I fell that i would never see these countries if i didnt work there, sure weve all been to thailand or whatever. but i want to see it all. I like japan a lot, but i live ion the sticks 3000 nt from sapporo- the nearest large city.
ok, matybe ill write more later but i have top dash now.

When I said London was dirtier than Taipei (or something like that) I wasn’t talking about the rivers or the air (although London’s air comes close). I meant the streets. London just looks and feels dirty. Maybe becuase it’s too greay and full of beggars. Life in Taipei seems to offer a lot more ‘freedom’ than life in London.

bri

quote[quote]London and Tokyo have a higher standard of living - more and better arts facilities, restaurants and sports.[/quote]

Overall, yes. But there’s no museum in Tokyo that can hold a candle to the National Palace Museum.

Museums have little to do with the quality of life in a place. I haven’t been to the National Palace Museum for more than a decade. Going or not has had no impact on my life. Besides, more than 70 percent of the artifacts are kept in the underground bunker and will never be shown to the public.
It would be nice to be able to drink the water directly out of the taps in Taiwan, though…

Actually Wolf, museums have a great deal to do with quality of living. I come from Vancouver, Canada, which is constantly rated the number one city in the world to live (despite the fact that it too has hideous architecture). I personally find myself fading every time I go back for too long. Everyone there is wired to react to any breach of social conventions, to any perceived threat to their safety. People are into sports, the outdoor life, and keeping fit. It’s all so clean living and middle class. Its great to grow up there, and probably to have a family there when you’re older, but for those in-between years, you’d better get out if you have any imagination, and any love of fine art.

On a different note, I have to laugh at all the people making comparisons between Taipei and London, Tokyo, New York, etc. Yes, those are world-class cities, and Taipei is not, but how many of you ever, and I mean EVER, partake in the world-class offerings of these cities. Were you an kabuki fans in Tokyo? A theatre regular in London? Would I find you every saturday down at the MOMA? Or would I see you in the park playing baseball or drinking at some sub-rate bar? Things you can do in any city, or any suburb, in any country of the world.

Just look at some of the postings that have been made about the Palace Museum. I remember one that recommended someone not take his visiting friends there as all they’d find were dishes! The greatest museum of Chinese art in the world is being likened to a Working House outlet. Very sad.

And as for the mountains being littered with garbage, not where I live in Mucha. I can be in unspoiled surroundings in 10 minutes on my scooter. Even the university here has trails and parks without a drop of garbage. Where do you people live?

I’d like to hold a candle to the National palace Museum… or even a match. Its rubbish. (Ok. Don’t get offended its just a gag… I just don’t think that its a particularly good museeum… its all the same stuff stolen from the same place. At least in London, we stole stuff from lot’s of different places… dunno about the Japanese - they had the enmpire to do it though…

Muchaman, as a fellow Mucha…ian? I have to agree. Why just this weekend I was doing laundry on the back patio and watching the variety of butterflies flying around the flowers in the dense hill jungle of flowers, vines, and trees right behind my apartment building. And the view at the top of the mountain to get to my street is amazing. I love taking a taxi home because then I get to see the view into the green valley below. And it’s only a short bus ride to Hsin Yi Rd., Guang Fu Rd., Tun Hwa Rd., Fu Hsing Rd., Keelung Rd. …

Yeah, it’s the day to day living things that make the difference isn’t it. I enjoy - riding around on my scooter with so many different places just 10 minutes away - picking up breakfast at the nearest hamburger/ dan bing joint - reading my paper in a small park - finding a vegetarian restaurant no matter where I am at the time - having nightmarkets and teahouses everywhere - being able to buy anything I want and eat out until late at night - lots of things like those that are part of my everyday life.

Bri

Mucha Man says:

quote[quote] Actually Wolf, museums have a great deal to do with quality of living. I come from Vancouver, Canada, which is constantly rated the number one city in the world to live (despite the fact that it too has hideous architecture). I personally find myself fading every time I go back for too long. Everyone there is wired to react to any breach of social conventions, to any perceived threat to their safety. People are into sports, the outdoor life, and keeping fit. It's all so clean living and middle class. [/quote]

I heard as much about Vancouver, but I have never heard anyone say that it was the museums there that made the place a good city to live in. In fact, there is nothing in your post to support this either.
Don’t get me wrong; I like museums but they are not a significant factor in determining the “livability” of a place any more than access to theater is.