So who is running a Hackintosh?

I’m kind of interested in this idea, it seems like it has some advantages to running a Linux distro. Anyone here have experience with this? Recommend any hardware?

i used to run osx86 on my compaq notebook in the early days. it made me buy a cheap second hand ibook then a macbook :laughing:

updates are the only problem i can think of with osx8. indeed, you cant apply any update offered to you by the apple updater. any update that touches the system files can ruin your installation… so you have to wait for someone to come up with patched files.

I believe Toe Tag claimed to have used one. Have a look in the Vista vs Leopard thread (read down a few). Some good links to tutorials in there, too.

toe tag is a hackintosh god. period :notworthy:

The osx86 scene is about 18 months old. Actually about halfway through they developed a way to emulate Apple’s EFI (its like a BIOS). This meant that you could use a “vanilla” Apple kernel and that you could apply most software updates. Though for big system updates like 10.5.2 or (soon) 10.5.3 I check the website to see if it works or how people do it. Now that this is getting popular with the Psystar getting a lot of press, Apple may try to crack down on it. But right now it works great. Search “the bay” for Kalyway 10.5.2.

Thanks guys.

The hackintosh of the Gods…

Centurion 590; IcyDock 4-in-3 hotswap bay; Enermax Liberty 500
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P; q6600 @3.2Ghz
Xigmatech S-1283; Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad
4x1GB Transcend aXeRAM 1066MHz DDR2 SDRAM EPP= 5-6-6-15
V-DIMM 2.1V; (G)MCH 1.4V; AHCI
XFX GeForce 7300GT dual DVI; ATEN MasterView CS-1764 DVI KVMP
Dual Optiquest q241wb 1920x1200 (S-IPS not newer TN version)
WD6400AAKS(boot) WD10EACS WD10EACS
OS X 10.5.2

I was running XP but it just always seemed to screw up after about a year. I ran linux for the next year. Every day there was a new fire to fight. Really I think linux users like having problems to fix; there is no end to them. OK I was on SuSE not ubuntu but linux has a mighty long way to go before my parents can use it. Now with hackintosh, everything just works. The initial install can have its challenges, but after that its smooth sailing. Hackintosh is really the best of all possible worlds. I have my unix commands, I have commercial applications, I can use custom hardware and overclock it, and not overpay for Apple’s underpowered line of laptop CPUs in different cases. For the rare situations where windows is needed, I simply run it in a VMware virtual machine. Finally, the computer for the rest of us. Games? Run 'em on the xbox 360 or dual boot into windows.

[quote=“Toe Tag”]The hackintosh of the Gods…

Centurion 590; IcyDock 4-in-3 hotswap bay; Enermax Liberty 500
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P; q6600 @3.2Ghz
Xigmatech S-1283; Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad
4x1GB Transcend aXeRAM 1066MHz DDR2 SDRAM EPP= 5-6-6-15
V-DIMM 2.1V; (G)MCH 1.4V; AHCI
XFX GeForce 7300GT dual DVI; ATEN MasterView CS-1764 DVI KVMP
Dual Optiquest q241wb 1920x1200 (S-IPS not newer TN version)
WD6400AAKS(boot) WD10EACS WD10EACS
OS X 10.5.2[/quote]

How much would a rig like this cost (sans monitor)? I’ve been running a MBP for a year and while it’s a great machine, I’d much prefer a desktop which I can throw a bunch of hard drives and do RAID-5 in. Can this run Aperture no problem?

I would really like a tower to complement my imac. I’ve been watching the insanelymac (ox86) forum since toe tag brought this up. IF that psystar company turns out to be viable, I wonder how long it will be before folks are selling custom-made mac- ready-ish towers here. I guess I could build one, but I fear I would need some tech support.

I hope Apple overlooks this trend for a while yet. Psystar is actually not doing the hobbyists any favors, really.

Thanks for the parts list, Tag…

Redwagon -
This article might be of interest to you…Frankenmac! What’s in a Mac clone?.

Psystar Open Computer
“The good: Faster, more affordable, more upgradable Leopard OS X-based system than anything currently offered by Apple in this price range.”…more at link.

Approximate $USD prices for most of the above components.
YMMV in Taiwan, but all this stuff is sold here.
Centurion 590 $60
IcyDock 4-in-3 hotswap bay $100
Enermax Liberty 500 $85
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P $150
q6600 2.4GHz $200
Xigmatech S-1283 $30
8GB (4x2GB) 800MHz DDR2 $120 (faster memory not worth it frankly)
XFX GeForce 7300GT $60
WD6400AAKS $120

Adds up to less than the NT$90K for a Mac Pro.

Check prices on
price.oc.com.tw/
tw.bid.yahoo.com/

You can search pcwizcomputer.com/osx86search/ for Aperture or other questions.

Here is the latest technique…

forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117834

I haven’t tried it yet but the boot-132 approach looks like the future to me.

One thing I’d change is go with Seasonic power supply and not Enermax. I’d use Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste too. You might actually be better off with an IDE based DVD drive.

This thread looks helpful…
forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? … pic=117834

I think most video cards even my lowly 7300GT support dual monitors. A powerful card is not that important on the mac where few people game.

I guess if you stick to gigabyte p35 or p45 chipset you are probably fine. Though soon x58 is coming out, not sure if that works yet, and also p35 is getting scarce.

If you’re not using they icydock hot swap, people like the Centurion 690 instead of the 590.

As for where to buy, there’s a website here in Taiwan that scans the price sheets from the stores. They’re usually a week out of date but it still gives you an idea. price.oc.com.tw/

Good luck,

TT

I’ve got my Hackintosh up and running. I purchased a Gigabyte EP45-DSL3 motherboard, Pentium Q6600 quad-core processor, nVidia 9400 GT video card, 2GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and other assorted bits for about 23000NT and followed these directions:

forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165

You need a previously existing OS X install (either a real Mac [which I have] or a Kalyway installation) to get it up. I’d recommend going with a slightly older video card (like a nVidia 8800) which is supported by automatic installers, whereas I had to do some finangling with hex strings to get my newer, super-budget video card working. But once you get it up, it works like a charm. Aperture, my monitor calibrator, and all my other apps work just swell.

I’m considering selling my Macbook Pro now.