So WHY was mod lang banned?

Eh? EH? What? Where? When? Fuck! Was I sleeping again?[/quote]
:doh:

Uh, I was going to get around to you, too, Sandman. Umm, probly after CNY :blush:

Eh? EH? What? Where? When? Fuck! Was I sleeping again?[/quote]

I wasn’t invited either…I really should change my shorts more often.

[quote=“Richardm”]
I don’t know why he was banned, but it seemed that he was in a funky mood about that time.[/quote]

In a work environment good managers take into account what is happening in private life. One Forumosa member that has come under scrutiny and ridicule has a family member currently losing their battle with life. That is a private matter but reflects on their posts.

Mine are rough edged right now because I am in Northampton UK, feel like shit from jet lag and want to go home. Home to Taiwan.

I contemplate becoming a lurker on Forumosa for the valuable information and perhaps attending happy hours for the fun of being able to put faces to posters.

I don’t just dislike the system in place of moderators and star chambers and the controlling peer group. I really hate it.

Not had that type of crap since school. I was not a cool school kid and made up for it in uni when I made it into near on most popular by just putting my head down to work and helping others when I could. Happened as it probably should by just not trying to be popluar or anybodies particular friend.

But fuck, fuck, fuck. This feels like school again and I really rail against it.

Its my problem of course and as I mentioned above seems the solution is to bow out and this post may be it. We will see what happens when the jet lag haze clears.

If you guys ever get it together it will be because you rotate people in and out of the peer control positions, not talking the top. Its a business after all and has to be steered by the same leaders.

This electronic group get together medium is still primitive and raw.

btw for those that wonder who is at the top of this chain. I met Maoman and he is a really nice guy. I bet Gus would be the same but have not met him. I am sure its not their fault. Its just as I said a reasonably new thing that has to mature.

Bye (Maybe()

Don’t be silly, Ironman. You’re hooked now and will post for many years to come. One day you’ll be old and senile like Sandman, but unable to sever the umbilical, like Sandman.

It’s interesting to see all this criticism levelled at ‘the moderators’ as if we’re some homogenous group busy imposing our standards on you, our minions. This perception could not be much further from the truth. I don’t think that the moderators are unrepresentative of the overall community, or arrogant in any way.

The mods are as diverse a crowd as the rest of you, and have widely differing values and opinions about almost everything. We’re in a constant state of disagreement, on a whole range of topics. Sometimes a consensus appears, but sometimes someone has to make the final decision. Who should that person be? Me? You? Or the person who created the site? If you had created a site that became successful, would you hand over control to a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies? I know I wouldn’t, and Gus has done a marvellous job of devolving power downwards.

There’s a tremendous sense of ownership amongst the people who use this site, myself included. But sometimes we have to remember that it’s not ours individually. Everyone else - even the buffoons - has the same claim, and all our claims are subordinate to the fact that whatever contribution we may have made individually it’s a good deal smaller than the contributions made by those who make the final decisions.

About disagreements: I, for instance, want no truck with the banning process. I simply don’t agree that it’s the best way of dealing with people, but that’s just my opinion. Every now and then I have a go at getting it changed, but so far there has not been a compelling alternative put forward by ANYONE anywhere on this board.

I don’t encounter hostility when I try. I don’t get thrown out of the moderator’s batcave. I know that several other moderators would like to see a better way, but in the absence of a workable alternative this is the system we have. And it works well enough that I think it should continue.

I can say with my hand on my heart that when a member is proposed for banning then the debate is serious, heartfelt, balanced, and fair. We get the occasional newbie who blazes in with crap that wins him a unanimous verdict, but with someone who has been around a while it is never so clear-cut. The time and effort that goes into deciding whether someone gets banned can be enormous. In some cases there is literally weeks of debate before a ban is even proposed.

That’s with just 11 people in the conversation. Can you imagine discussing this with all of our 4000+ members? We have lives to live offline as well.

Actually, it’s not always just 11 people. Although there are only 11 voting members, all the (25?) moderators can and do get involved in the deliberations. I’ve spoken at length in defense of some bannees in the past, and many other mods have taken a lot of time and trouble to consider not only the individual but also the well-being of the site.

And I’ve also read the discussions that took place when I was proposed for a ban a few years back. Being proposed for a ban, even by the big cheese, is not necessarily fatal. You really do have to make an effort to get yourself banned permanently, and by the time it’s over I think most of the people responsible are sick of talking about it.

In MLs case, it was discussed reasonably and at length, and I believe that the ban was justified under the rules and system we have. Until someone can come up with rules and a system that work better for the members, the site generally, and the people who made it happen, then nothing is going to change.

The rules here are really pretty simple. If you can’t live with them, or the way they are implemented, then the internet is big and easy enough for anyone to come up with a better alternative. But asking for things to be done your way here is a bit ungrateful.

And that doesn’t mean that if you don’t like it here then you can fuck off. If you can’t play by the rules then you can fuck off, but if you simply don’t like some aspect of life here then you are free to propose alternatives, discuss, complain *** or do your own thing *** with forumosa’s blessing and support. How many blogs - with associated ‘chat’ - are advertised here? How many alternative websites, such as TaiwanHo? How many other forumosans have discussion sites of their own? We’re not in a competition with anyone here.

Speaking personally, I can say that I tried to persuade Gus to introduce some new stuff here that I would like to see, but it didn’t fit his long-term vision. As a result I have a small website of my own under development in co-operation with forumosa. ie free banner advertising provided by forumosa - stay tuned for more details.

Does this sound like the action of a despotic empire-builder? No!

Slack. Cutting. For the team.

Thank you.

My reasons for refrining from posting are very close the the ones of ironman.

[quote=“Loretta”]
That’s with just 11 people in the conversation. Can you imagine discussing this with all of our 4000+ members? We have lives to live offline as well.

Actually, it’s not always just 11 people. Although there are only 11 voting members, all the (25?) moderators can and do get involved in the deliberations.[/quote]

Just how many people regularly post here…as in like once a day for a week?

Ironman - quick question. You have a serious distaste for the idea of a group of your peers judging whether you’ve breached established and (particularly now) clearly stated rules which dictate the forms of behaviour regarded as unacceptable by the community in which you’re participating substantially enough to be punished in accordance with those rules? Hmmm… I guess you must really suck as a choice for jury duty then.

Oh, and FWIW, it wasn’t solely because Mod Lang was “in a funky mood” as far as I know - he’d been up for banning before (reasonably recently, I think) and been let off. I’d say it seems pretty reasonable that if you’ve been up for banning recently and then manage to get nominated again, you’re probably treading pretty thin ice. NOTE: This is not based on first-hand knowledge, so it may be wrong.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]you’re participating substantially enough to be punished in accordance with those rules? Hmmm… I guess you must really suck as a choice for jury duty then.

Oh, and FWIW, it wasn’t solely because Mod Lang was “in a funky mood” quote]

Funky mood. Yes, sure some posters just have to be deleted. Does seem Mod Lang fitted that bill.

Re rules and jury duty. Funny thing to bring up. I am very judgemental, to my own detriment at times and I try to back that horse up rather than let it out of the stable too often. I would participate in a jury with no problem.

As I mentioned in a PM once your general direction in discussions often matches mine. Just not this time.

Just a quick note in case I never post again. I only remember 2 incidents in my posting time to date that were not pleasant.

1. A cranky poster having a bad day flamed me. I was not prepared as the site had seemed so friendly. I sent back some pretty lame attacks in return then the moderators kicked in within a few hours and the whole incident was just plain gone. Great moderator job.

2. I told a female moderator by PM that I thought she was cute. Did not know she was a moderator as met at the happy hour and nobody wears a moderator badge. Thought I might get a pm back just to say thanks for the compliment but no big deal to get nothing.

Still did not know, then I got a post floundered. Turned out to be justified as I ran off thread. Also turned out the pretty girl is a moderator :blush:

I PM’d and asked if she was the flounder moderator. Yes, turned out to be the case, she also thanked me for the compliment. That was cool.

So, that was it. My total list of disasters. Not a big deal. More, as I mentioned above and previously the whole thing feels like school.

School is out.

This has gone on for 5 pages and enough is enough. It’s time for me to speak up for myself and the reasons why I was banned.

Mod Lang = Peking Spring

Multiple accounts are against the Rules and so when caught out - again - Mod Lang was banned.

In the wee hours of the morning a couple of weeks ago, a drunken Mod Lang made a particularly over the top post by his alter-alias, the misanthropic “I hate PEOPLE” ex-con Peking Spring, that at the time seemed like a funny “joke” in his booze addled brain. Peking Spring pretended to be on the lam for a fictional violent crime he committed in Taiwan and posted asking for advice about extradition treaties if he fled Taiwan. Anyone taken in by that post and worried - let me stress that it was a work of fiction. Peking Spring is a fictional character.

Banning Mod Lang was a no-brainer. Apologies for a very stupid thing to do on my part. It’s the third time I’ve gotten into trouble on this site for my very dark and twisted sense of “humor”. Sometimes, and especially when under the influence, I become almost a totally different person. I don’t know what comes over myself.

Anyway, goodbye and all that. It’s been good to know ya.

[quote=“Rajibal Bagneesh”]
Multiple accounts are against the Rules and so when caught out - again - Mod Lang was banned.[/quote]

So what about the mods/admins who have multiple accounts?

[quote=“Poagao”]So what about the mods/admins who have multiple accounts?[/quote]We have to follow the same rules as everyone else. A mod/admin is only allowed to have multiple accounts with the permission of er… the admin.

You just contradicted yourself.

You just contradicted yourself.[/quote]
No he didn’t. this is the way it has always been - click here to read the rule

You just contradicted yourself.[/quote]Let me rephrase that. Mod/Admins are also allowed to have multiple accounts with the permission of the admins, just like everyone else.

[quote=“sandman”][quote]
Remember, I’m the frigging Restaurants mod – hardly the hotbed of flames and insults.[/quote][/quote]

Now I feel obliged to make the Restaurant Thread a hotbed of controversy and malcontent.

Who’s with me? Let the Hotpots stand on one side and the NightMarkets on the other. There’s no sitting on the face. We’ll rack up complaints left and right for Sandman to resolve, all in the name of good food.

Paging Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud.

You just contradicted yourself.[/quote]Let me rephrase that. Mod/Admins are also allowed to have multiple accounts with the permission of the admins, just like everyone else.[/quote]

So they can allow themselves to have multiple accounts, as long as they give themselves permission. Oh, ok.

why was maposquid banned?

just joking. surprised to see he was though.

You just contradicted yourself.[/quote]Let me rephrase that. Mod/Admins are also allowed to have multiple accounts with the permission of the admins, just like everyone else.[/quote]

So they can allow themselves to have multiple accounts, as long as they give themselves permission. Oh, ok.[/quote]
Mod != Admin

So they can allow themselves to have multiple accounts, as long as they give themselves permission. Oh, ok.[/quote]
Mod != Admin[/quote]

Nope.

There are a bunch of Mods. There are two Admins. The two Admins can Mod… I know that one does but I think the other does not.

Mods (with the exception of those who are also Admins) do not and cannot Admin.