Solar Power in Taiwan - What's happening?

yes, I messaged those guys a while back and they will get it. NT840 for 500g.

Legislators passed an amendment Monday that will require all newly built, expanded, or altered structures that meet specific conditions to have rooftop solar panels incorporated into the building’s design and installed.

Edit: Oops. I see the article was already shared in another thread.

1 Like

How dare you! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Actually, how dare the other poster. This is the right place for the article. Have you ever heard of searching before posting, other poster dude?

1 Like

Taiwan will now require new buildings of a certain size or building extensions to install rooftop solar panels.That’s in line with the government’s goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

3 Likes

It seems like the requirement will have the added benefit of keeping the uppermost floor cool during summer months.

2 Likes

But a big hit on the Taiwanese rooftop dwelling culture.

1 Like

GOOD.

You want an extra story on that building? Then built it. It’s ridiculous how it’s consistently n+1.

Guy

Yes I did. And “alternative energy” is one place for it to go, as it turns out around 12 hours earlier. Here in the dedicated “solar power” thread is another, so good job! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Oh, it was you? I couldn’t remember and I couldn’t be bothered to check as what I wrote was all in jest!

1 Like

It’s all good! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Does anyone understand what they’re gonna do with the power from all those solar panels? It can’t currently be fed back into the grid without making everything explode, right? Are the buildings also going to have battery systems?

They have systems in place for this. The nursing home across from my shop just installed solar panels.

How so? solar fits perfectly for this, like mustard with ketchup. but there are always haters…

It is already fed back into the grid. the point is they can feed it, and use things like coal and whatnot to pick up the slack. And it will hopefully getting more streamlined and efficient by the year.

Either way, it already feeds back.

Interesting. I had read that the grid here wasn’t set up for that. Perhaps I read wrong?

Well, to cut to be honest, it is an evolution. a continuum. much of Taiwan still dumps raw sewage into the ditches, other parts have waste systems in place outside of bio sediment ponds and/or the [eventual] ocean. but it is getting better. more and more, things are getting upgraded. Dame as everything, everywhere.

A fun little anecdote on why I call Taiwan a functional oxymoron. My village has 2g internet. Lots of old people… they arent upgrading the wires until someone requests it, they even asked us to request it. But our factory has modern solar and it feeds back without issue. Loads of commercial, residentialaand small.husinesses here also have solar that feeds back. As do government projects/buildings. I suppose the fair part is to say, the onus is also on us. they move when we say move :slight_smile: Albiet they tend to move in weird and mysterious ways!

Anyway, basically it does feed back. just that some lines and infrastructure needs upgrading. This isnt much to do with the solar argument (either pro or con) moreso just old shit needing a reboot in order to support “new” tech. would of been nice to do so 40 years ago, but better now than never.

my biggest worry, which I promise we will talk about in 20~30 years, is that the upgrades are very much going to be short sighted and the tech (planning and foreshight!) very much underdeveloped. so the make work projects will continue and the risk of an ignorant population repeating that the tech is faulty because it cant be used will continue rather than a huge push to monetize a free resource that betters everything.

on repeat.

1 Like

Fair. A few years ago when I wanted to do a little DIY solar installation on my rooftop, I was looking at the plug-it-in-a-wall-socket grid tie inverter thingies, and apparently those could make your meter run backward and get you in trouble if you weren’t careful, because it was … illegal? Against the rules, anyway.

So I get that in a literal sense you can push power into the grid. But if a whole bunch of factories with large rooftops did that at the same time in the same area, things would catch fire. If things have been upgraded so much that they can mandate every new building does it, colour me mildly surprised.

On a probably-not-related-but-who-knows note, I had no power at home for seven hours today because these poor guys were stringing a massive new power line at the end of the street, in a typhoon, for reasons I don’t understand. Like, it’s a bundle probably six inches across. It doesn’t seem to go anywhere except our little community of 40ish houses. Strange times.

1 Like

Power feeding back into the grid from grid-tie inverters is a tiny fraction of the overall demand (in Taiwan, at least). Everything feeding into the grid - including grid-tie inverters - implements a control loop to properly match voltage, phase and frequency to ensure that power flows in the right direction, at the correct rate; in the unlikely event that the inverter detects that the grid cannot absorb as much power as the panels are capable of supplying, it will simply throttle them back (ie., it will operate the panels away from the max power point). In the worst case (a grid failure of some kind) the inverter will effectively disconnect itself and the panels will be ‘idling’.

A highrise with (say) a 500m2 rooftop would be feeding no more than (roughly) 70kW into the grid on a sunny day. That’s next-to-nothing in the grand scheme of things; they probably burn that much on the aircon, lighting and lifts for the building’s public areas. And that’s fine, of course. But the point is that it’s getting used pretty much at point-of-generation, and doesn’t really go into “the grid” as such.

1 Like

Interesting, I didn’t know they did that. So when people talk about grid upgrades for solar (e.g. here), is it more a question of like putting in bigger lines in rural areas that are changing from small consumers to big-ish producers, or what?