Some people really struggle with choice

On top of overwhelming choices, I get tired of every store asking me to sign up for memberships and point systems. And they’re always super convoluted…put all these stickers on this map and after 80 stickers you can get a rice cooker for another $3,000NT. Or if you spend $2,000 NT you can go to the third floor to pick a ping pong ball out of box for another coupon I’m not going to use. Or combine these two drinks and you get one drink free if you order this other thing… If it takes you 10 minutes to explain it then it’s not worth my time.

7 Likes

Before you could get a VIP card and get 10% off. Most of the stores let you double up with the stickers to get a free sub and use the discount on the same order. That made things quite cheap.

Subway has minimal overheads. Rent is the main one. Other than that, how many people do you need to chuck some lettuce on a piece of bread? It’s pretty simple. The electricity cost is low because very little cooking. Prep is easy. You don’t need pro chefs to toss a tuna salad or chicken mayo. The same lot doing the serving are preparing it beforehand. And paid minimum wage. With the right location, Subway is a gold mine.

This and the deals are generally not good value or are actually a higher final price than if I buy the items separately.

I’ve shown this to the wife several times and she still insists the deal is good.

I have seen so many Subways shut down. I know there is one guy on here who used to own multiple Subways, but closed them all down eventually. Maybe he will give his insight. The subways that do exist rarely have any customers, at least the ones I have been to.

According to the Internet there is a Subway in my area in Kaohsiung. I went to the location and it is boarded up, possibly for renovation but I assume because it has closed down. My guess was bread-like-glue, still waiting to try a ham sandwich in Taiwan…

Costco. They have a pack of 3 croissant sandwiches, chicken, ham, and roast beef. 2 thick slices of cheese on each with side containers of garlic mayo and honey mustard. All for under 200nt.

So what you’re saying is, not Subway, correct?

Yup. Aside from the cookies, Subway is garbage.

1 Like

I used to like Subway in the US mainly because of the variety of veggies, pickles and peppers. There’s something really wrong with the meat they use here. The curing method for meat in Taiwan is not my favorite because it is sweet and has a rubbery texture. The owner of Liquid Bread says it’s because they use high pressure to short-cut the curing time.
On the positive side, Taiwan’s fruit and veges are so good that I don’t eat much processed food so today, I probably wouldn’t like Subway in the States.
When I was a kid growing up on the beach in Florida, we’d stop at a deli sandwich shop on the way back from surfing that had a few dozen choices of meat/cheese that you paid for by the weight. Talk about choices!

2 Likes

Taking out the milk shakes almost made me cry and the syrup out of the milk tea. You would be surprised at how many people I have seen in full discussion with the check out counter about what they should eat. That triggers me. :bomb:

1 Like

Yeah that’s just wrong.

2 Likes

and the sundae

why!?!?!

2 Likes

The franchise fee and other costs such as fitting out the restaurants are quite high though. I actually looked into it but the start up costs were too high. All the risk was being put on the franchisee. Also they have to approve your site and then you sign a convoluted long-term rental agreement. The main problem was they are pushing franchisees to open large stores to complete with McDs and MosBurger. But few ppl have that kind of money ! Short-sighted policy.

2 Likes

And the chicken has a lot of soy protein; not that soy is terrible, but what else are they not being honest about?

2 Likes

At least they let you instead of locking into one entity like McDonald’s

If you’re friends or roommates with a local, ask if you can go together. It can be helpful to have someone explain how things work—or show you what to get.

Guy

1 Like

It appears that businesses really want your data, even if it means forcing everyone—including regulars and newbies—to wait in line.

Guy

Not my favorite comic. But this fits the topic so well.