Someone at AIT fired for congratulating Chen?

Is there any validity to rumors that someone at AIT was fired for congratulating Chen (because it hadn’t come from official channels)?

Therese Shaheen, the AIT chairwoman is said to be being hoofed because a) she jumped the gun on the congrats and b) she is closer to the DPP and Chen than the Bush admininstration likes. So farthis has yet to be confirmed.

It’s in the TT today, see here:

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003116580

[quote]For instance, the sources said, some of Shaheen’s public statements last summer sent confusing messages to Taipei, thus misleading the DPP administration into underestimating the US government’s concern about its referendum plan.

Her remarks about the priority order for Taiwan’s arms procurements also drew criticism, but the last straw that may have led to Shaheen’s departure was her public expression of congratulations on March 26 on President Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) re-election.

At the time, the White House had not yet issued a congratulatory message.[/quote]

I remember when chen was in the U.S. it was her who first uttered that “Chen has a guardian angel” line, meaning Bush and at the time I thought that was pretty bold. I was glad she was pro DPP but she does have rather a big mouth for a diplomat.

From the Washington Times:

Beijing seeks ouster of envoy

By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The State Department is planning to replace the head of the unofficial U.S. government office in charge of Taiwan after receiving complaints from Beijing, The Washington Times has learned.
Chinese government officials for months have been pressing the department to remove Therese Shaheen, Washington director of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), the de facto U.S. embassy, Bush administration officials said.
Mrs. Shaheen is viewed by the Chinese as pro-Taipei and publicly has said the Chinese government’s claims that the U.S. opposes Taiwan’s independence are inaccurate.

washtimes.com/national/20040 … -1312r.htm

She resigned, instead of getting the pink slip. Officials say no replacement has been named for Mrs. Shaheen. One candidate for the post was identified by officials as Stephen Schlaikjer…

A bit hard to pronounce. [SHLIKE-JER?]

[quote=“blueface666”]From the Washington Times:

Beijing seeks ouster of envoy

By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The State Department is planning to replace the head of the unofficial U.S. government office in charge of Taiwan after receiving complaints from Beijing, The Washington Times has learned.

washtimes.com/national/20040 … -1312r.htm[/quote]

UPDATED

washingtontimes.com/national/200 … -2784r.htm

Well ROC also replaced their foriegn minister with a die hard activist that more or less lived in exhile USA.

I also heard Japan is suing their prime minister from visiting their war shrine.

Does this mean PRC has international influence now. Nah couldn’t be as I type on my Made in China Computer, and check my underwear. Craps China has me by the balls.

Anyway the AIT had no choice in the matter. Most countries are waiting to see whether or not CSB is the pres or not. Have you noticed no other important countries have made statements.