Someone gave me this old drill press

Ok there’s no woodworking forum so…

I got this old drill press today because the last owner didn’t want to mess with it. Anyways long story short (apart from the trek carrying this thing here, it weights like 20-30 Kg) this thing has seen a bit of neglect. The guy said he never touched it for a few years and told me this thing is easily 20-30 years old. Looks like I need some WD-40’s and lots of time to get this old clunker moving. I hope the motor still works, the wiring and switches needs to be replaced though, the kind of switch on this thing isn’t safe. I shouldn’t spend more than 2-300 NT on cleaning this stuff up including new wires and switches, sure beats paying 10,000 NT for a brand new one of this size (and probably not as well made either)

At least the quill moves fine (but a little slow, needs lubrication) and the bearing is good.

[color=green]Mod note: added “old drill press” to title for clarity[/color]

I for one appreciate what you’ve got there. Should be fantastic once you clean it up.

Even if the motor’s gone, you could just replace the bushings.

[quote=“irishstu”]I for one appreciate what you’ve got there. Should be fantastic once you clean it up.

Even if the motor’s gone, you could just replace the bushings.[/quote]

I just tested the motor with an ohmmeter. I can read continuity on the motor’s lead so I think this thing should be good. I just need a lot of rust remover and WD40 and fix the crank that moves the tables. Really good for drilling holes on guitar bridges. I found the faceplate on the motor and it said it’s made in 1972. This thing is old! I think some of these old made in Taiwan electronic items are known to last forever, today’s stuff is shit compared to those old stuff… I need to figure out how I can remove the chuck though, might want to replace it.

These kinds of projects are really cool. Please update with pics as you progress.

I can give you a telephone number if you need help getting it going – I have a friend who has refurbished all kinds of shop plant. Only problem is, he lives out in the mountains south of Bitan, which is about as far away from you as its possible to be in Taipei.
Good luck with it.

Yea, can you go ahead and give me his telephone number?

Just an update: I got some WD-40 and sprayed a bunch on the column to make the table movable. I can now move it without using tools but it’s still hard to move. Also, the splines seems to be worn, because I can hear clicking when I rotate the spindle back and fourth. However holes drilled seems accurate enough, I mean at least more accurate than using a hand drill. I managed to get the motor going, but I need to install a switch (I only temporarily patched a cord to the motor leads…)

I think the previous owner used this thing as a lathe or something, but given the age of this machine I guess things wear out. Is there any way of replacing the spline?