Someone to fix my tread mill motor!

I bought a used tread mill from a guy, and , yes I know it’s buyer-beware but I took a chance and bought it. He lived in taipei and I live in hsinchu. I drove all the way there and bought it and hauled it back to my apartment. It weighted a ton so I had to get a few nieghbors to help me lug it up the narros stairway, 3 flights to my apartment. I set it up and plugged it in and started jogging…of course you know what happened next! Thats right, after 1 kilometer it suddenly stopped and I could smell some burning wires in the motor, too so I knew the motor crapped out. So I tried to contact the guy I bought it from. He had no manual, no phone numbers, nothing. It wasn;t under warranty anymore in any case. So I’m stuck with this big, heavy tread mill machine which I really would like to fix and use since I went to all this trouble and paid for it. I contacted the original manufacturer in Khaosung and they said Hsinchu is too far away to look at it and since it’s not covered by the warranty they don’t make house-calls. I tried googling some repair shops and I come up empty handed. If anyone out there has bought a tread mill or other exercise machine here and knows anyone who does repairs or has any telephone numbers I can try, I’de be really grateful. I just wanna get it up and working again…the MACHINE, that is… the MACHINE!

The problem is the solution. Re-wire the machine to produce electricity as you jog. You can reduce your carbon footprint as you exercise. Power your apartment as you jog. When you get really good, you can get an interactive inverter and feed power into the grid. Then I can sit on my fat ass and surf the web while you run, Forest, run.

‘Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow’ ~ Dr Who.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]The problem is the solution. Re-wire the machine to produce electricity as you jog. You can reduce your carbon footprint as you exercise. Power your apartment as you jog. When you get really good, you can get an interactive inverter and feed power into the grid. Then I can sit on my fat ass and surf the web while you run, Forest, run.

‘Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow’ ~ Dr Who.[/quote]
You can do that with a bicycle, but it would be hard on a treadmill.

I would take the modor out and try to find another one. Maybe run down to Kaoxiang and show it to them.

If he runs from Hsinchu to Kaohsiung, won’t that make the machine obsolete?

Oh, I see. : :bow:

Man, that sucks. What’s the brand? That way we’ll know not to buy anything from the scumbag mfr who won’t do repair work.

Did they say you could ship it to them to be repaired? Have you checked the cost of shipping it? It might be less than you think, as local deliveries in Taiwan are often absurdly cheap. :idunno:

it’s really friggin heavy, but I’ll check out that option, anyway. I wonder if i can rail (train) it down to them (thinking out loud). Damn, this sux.

FWIW, I briefly worked with an R&D team developing treadmills for export and while they are far from my area of expertise I can tell you that far and away the most common failure in treadmills is the IC board for the motor controller or other electronic parts for the rotary speed sensor… After that it’s the electronics in the control panel that tend to go up in smoke… Motors are fairly robust and seldom gave up… electronic components will release the magic blue smoke when they fry but not necessarily have any visible signs of damage… Unless you’re 100% sure it’s the motor I’d try to get someone with electronics know how to give it a once over first… If you can isolate an IC board as the problem that’ll be much cheaper and easier to replace than the motor, assuming the manufacturer is willing to sell you one…