Something intelligent for the iPod, please?

If you’re a fan of Tom Waits, you can download/listen to a 2.5 hour concert from last year at the following link.

npr.org/templates/story/stor … d=92916923

spokenword.org is a handy clearing house of podcasts and whatnot. Tries to highlight the best material.

UC Berkely has some nice classic lectures by Aldous Huxley, Foucault, Mead, Chomskey et. al. Some dating back to the 50s and 60s.

lib.berkeley.edu/ANTH/find/lectures.html

I would like to second this recommendation. Podcasts just don’t do it for me. Too unprofessional, not edited, etc. TTC’s courses are very dense with info, allowing you to make the most of your listening time. They aren’t something to just listen to while you’re on the computer. You have to focus on them, which suits my needs better.

I have at least 6 of their courses and can solidly recommend the music, philosophy, and religion courses.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ :thumbsup:

Anyone discover any superior podcasts recently? I’m always looking for more brain candy.

Been listening to sci-fi author, Spider Robinson’s Spider on the Web. It’s a mix of some very good music, his own and other’s stories.

2nd TED talks

The Guardian’s Science Weekly podcast is often worth a listen. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/series/science

I spend about 4-5 hours a day listening to the BBC, in particular documentaries on Radio 4. Radio 7 and the World Service also have a lot of good shows. If you want names of shows, let me know.

Sure. If it’s on BBC 4, I’ve probably got it. 7 I’m a stranger to though.

Note: I don’t know if the show I mention below can be downloaded as podcasts – I always listen to them on my computer

With the BBC’s Radio 4 it’s easy to recommend shows (In Our Time, The Long View, Material World, Thinking Allowed, Open Book, Excess Baggage etc.) but it’s a lot harder with Radio 7 because the shows are one-offs or 5 or so episodes rather than long running programs. Just a matter of keeping an eye out for things of interest. They have a lot of comedies and drama. I really enjoyed their Raymond Chandler series.

[quote=“Maoman”]http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ :thumbsup:

I love Radiolab. So many fabulous episodes. Their recent short, Vanishing Words, made even Agatha Christie facinating, and suggests it may be a good idea to hold on to all these thousands of posts for diagnostic purposes. (I’m looking at you, Grandpa Sandman.)

Me? I haven’t even GOT an iPod and anyway, I can’t concentrate while listening to stuff on headphones. Does my head in.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“Maoman”]http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ :thumbsup:

I love Radiolab. So many fabulous episodes. Their recent short, Vanishing Words, made even Agatha Christie facinating, and suggests it may be a good idea to hold on to all these thousands of posts for diagnostic purposes. (I’m looking at you, Grandpa Sandman.)[/quote]
Interesting topic but the delivery was bloody awful. Too ‘modern’ for me.

Recently I’ve been listening to a lot of “Here on Earth” shows from Wisconsin Public Radio. Sometimes a bit too touchy feely but there are some good interviews.http://www.wpr.org/hereonearth/archives.cfm

[color=#BF0000]Glad to[/color]

[color=#BF0040]know I’m not[/color]

[color=#008000]the only one who feels[/color]
[color=#4000FF]that way[/color].

(^ An attempt to visually represent the way that program sounds.)

I’ve listened to a couple of their shows via This American Life, and all the alternating of voices mid-sentence drives me crazy.

I hit a mother-lode of quality podcasts over the weekend. They’re from the British Library. The series on Henry VIII is especially good.
http://www.bl.uk/whatson/podcasts/exhibition/index.html

[quote=“almas john”]
With the BBC’s Radio 4 it’s easy to recommend shows (In Our Time, The Long View, Material World, Thinking Allowed, Open Book, Excess Baggage etc.) but it’s a lot harder with Radio 7 because the shows are one-offs or 5 or so episodes rather than long running programs. Just a matter of keeping an eye out for things of interest. They have a lot of comedies and drama. I really enjoyed their Raymond Chandler series.[/quote]

If you like various radio plays as well as other radio programs check out this site

radioarchive.cc/

It has a lot of BBC radio plays and other radio programs all available for download using torrents. They only allow programs that were broadcast over the air so they are all legal. I listen to them all the time. I’ve just been listening to a radio comedy called “Old Harry’s Game” which is pretty funny.

Anyway check it out. I’m sure everyone can find something of interest.

Harvard’s offering full access to a course on justice conducted by Michael Sandel.
Looks to alright. He’s a good read, and looked alright on TED.

justiceharvard.org/

Thanks for all of these!
Keep 'em coming lads. :thumbsup:

While these are comedy, I’d argue they are stimulating and make you think:

Bill Maher on HBO:
itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/real … id98746009

Radio 4 Friday night news quiz / satire
bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/fricomedy/

NPR news quiz “wait wait don’t tell me”
npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_ … Id=5183214

Dave Gorman and friends on Absolute radio offers some quirky and entertaining stories
itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the- … d319511758

I love books and literature discussions so these are good:

Mariella Frostrup on radio 4 “Open Book”
bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/openbook

BookClub with John Mullan (a literature prof at UCL) is my absolute favourite to load up before hitting the hills for a good walk: authors discuss their best known work in depth
guardian.co.uk/books/series/ … tent/audio

More interviews with authors from round the world:
bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wbc/

BTW, my partner refers to me as “podhead” but chores aren’t so painful with something interesting in your ears…and surely the washing needs rearranging on the line…

Dan carlin’s hardcore history and common sense with Dan Carlin.