Something seems to be afoot. My internet is my forumosa

I have been online for about an hour, trying to access all my usual haunts. Nothing. Mozilla doesn’t want to open anything. Except Forumosa, that is. This is really freaking me out. Somebody fix this before I spend the entire night posting a lot of mindless drivel and pissing off even more people than I usually do.
How is this possible?
Just checked…IE (which I never use but is still on the puter) isn’t opening anything either. I only get the operation timed out…messages.

Then why the hell is forumosa fine. Can I post? What if I’m the only one actually able to see my own posts? What if nobody else is posting either, but the posts I’ve been reading are just a figment of my imagination? Will there be a KTV? How will I ever know? What if keep posting until I die and never realize that nobody else has really been posting?
Is the Internet down forever and I just don’t know it? Do I have a virus? Why are you still reading this?

You have the dreaded Forumosa virus. Goose Egg has been a very naughty boy.

My internet has been screwed up all day too.
I have Hinet DSL. Either their DNS is whacked,
or those new internet worms are wreaking havoc.

[quote=“Toe Tag”]My internet has been screwed up all day too.
I have Hinet DSL. Either their DNS is whacked,
or those new internet worms are wreaking havoc.[/quote]
This is a point - what ISP are you with?

Everything is working fine for me except my Yahoo! mail. Nothing I can do can open it up. And everything else on Yahoo! is still working for me. It’s terrible.

How am I supposed to know that?
I get adsl through Chung-hua Telecom. Hinet is not connected to them, right? Honestly, only forumosa works, and now yahoo. I had about half an hour of everything back to normal and then it went whack again.
Why would so many sites be down, and only Forumosa works?

I’m like Homer. Being without the Internet just doesn’t compute.

I’m like…
Let me check for a virus. Probably time to download new update. Doh!
Let me google these new worms. Doh!
Well, there’s nothing I can do. Time to send these pics to my dad. Doh!
What the hell does postprandial mean anyways? Doh!
I guess ISP must be Internet Service Provider. Let me check. Doh!
Is that really how you spell “Doh!” ? Or should it be “D’oh!”? Let me…Doh!

yes it’s DNS. maybe they have router problems. A traceroute would let you know.

I’ve got Hinet ADSL through Chung Hwa Telecom.

Yahoo, tealit and forumosa work, but yahoo mail doesn’t work. I thought the problem must have been yahoo’s problem, but now I’m not so sure. Most websites load fine for me right now. I’m just having this problem with Yahoo Mail.

Which company do you pay for your Internet is basically how.

[quote]I get adsl through Chung-hua Telecom. Hinet is not connected to them, right? Honestly, only forumosa works, and now yahoo. I had about half an hour of everything back to normal and then it went whack again.
Why would so many sites be down, and only Forumosa works?[/quote]
I’m not sure, but it could be a massive DNS fuckup (DNS meaning Domain Name Server, being the system by which teh Intarweb knows exactly where you’re talking about when you say www.forumosa.com. If your ISP’s DNS thingy conks out it doesn’t understand shit, and it takes a while for it to catch up.) I’ve heard of small-scale things like this, where only a few sites effectively die, but not the opposite, where only a few sites actually work.

That must be it, then. At least it’s nothing I can fix, right?
More of my sites are up now, but hotmail and messenger isn’t working. Thanks for the help. So everybody who is not with Chung-hua would be OK, then? Or is DNS a wider thing?

[quote=“twonavels”]That must be it, then. At least it’s nothing I can fix, right?
More of my sites are up now, but hotmail and messenger isn’t working. Thanks for the help. So everybody who is not with Chung-hua would be OK, then? Or is DNS a wider thing?[/quote]

DNS servers are different for all ISPs and perhaps even among some within an ISP.

DNS, Domain Name System, looks up all names to their IP addresses. The internet is made up of IP addresses (mail.yahoo.com is 66.218.75.184). When you type in a url, your DNS servers looks up the IP address. Routers which route or direct traffic through the network understand only IP addresses.

Your computer directs traffic to the default gateway or router if you access something outside your network. It then goes thru lots of routers until it gets to yahoo or wherever you want to go. The traffic is then routed back to you.

Thanks for the info, gary.
Seems like the web being down for me will actually make me smarter.
:smiley:

You can try to use a public DNS, or ask somebody to give you the DNS of another ISP. You’ll have to change your network settings to add the new DNS IP.

Oh, and when you have DNS problems, Google’s IP is 66.249.89.99.

I have the same problem too. Hotmail and MSN messenger won’t work. Also, housecall.trendmicro.com won’t either. Is this a virus?

My sister’s computer that is using the same connection in the same room can use hotmail and messenger with no problem…

There is the Zotob virus going around now. There are many variations. I haven’t looked into it much. It only affects Windows 2000. There’s a removal tool at

www.microsoft.com/security

If you really wanted to know the answer, have a person that could figure it out look at your computer.

The latest variants seem to affect XP too. Actually, everything from Windows 95 to Windows 2003. I’m not sure about XP SP2 though.

Sometimes I envy Windows users - they always get all the action! :smiley:

Hmm…I’ve been having the same problems all night too.
I’m scanning now…

Hotmail and MSN not working could just be because Microsoft suck balls at being able to keep their servers up. Hotmail was down for several countries for like a week a little while ago, and MSN goes down more often than a NT$20 hooker.

The latest variants seem to affect XP too. Actually, everything from Windows 95 to Windows 2003. I’m not sure about XP SP2 though.

Sometimes I envy Windows users - they always get all the action! :smiley:[/quote]
Amazingly, Knoppix does not seem to be affected by this virus.

knoppix.net/ in case anyone would like to download a safe operating system.